Login required to started new threads

Login required to post replies

OWS goggles: photochromic lenses?
Quote | Reply
I saw the discussion the other day about polarized vs. mirrored, but I wanted to get some opinions specifically about the utility of photochromic lenses. I just recently learned they existed. Theoretically, they seem like a good solution - not needing to bring multiple pairs of goggles to a race and deciding which pair to wear based on the sun in the morning. Or for if the sun comes out or goes away during the swim.

The Zoggs Predator Flex Reactor and the Huub Aphotic appear to be the two options on the market. Curious to hear from anyone who has tried either. Worth the money? They're pretty spendy for a pair of goggles.
Quote Reply
Re: OWS goggles: photochromic lenses? [grassy] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
There are these out there, too. They are comfortable and clear when swimming inside. I haven't tested them in OWS to see if they get dark enough on sunny days (I'm in Oregon, and yesterday was the first time even seeing the sun in 6 months).

Oui, mais pas de femme toute de suite (yes, but I am not ready for a woman straight away) -Stephen Roche's reply when asked whether he was okay after collapsing at the finish in the La Plagne stage of the 1987 Tour
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
The HUUB Aphotic are very nice. Super clear and comfortable
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
All are FUGLY & Oversized.

Maybe if Arena makes the Cobra Ultra in photochromatic I might get interested.

Canadian Record Holder 35-39M & 40-44M - 200 m Butterfly (LCM)
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
Come on you expect us to believe you are willing to voluntarily suffer for 140 miles but not willing to put up with suboptimal light levels for an hour? You just want a new gadget. Admit it. Silly triathletes.
Quote Reply
Re: OWS goggles: photochromic lenses? [realAB] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
realAB wrote:
All are FUGLY & Oversized.

Maybe if Arena makes the Cobra Ultra in photochromatic I might get interested.

I wanted to like the Cobra Ultras (bought a pair last year) but I just can't make them work for me. Sticking with TYR Socket Rockets in practice and Speedo Speed Sockets in races.

Swimming Workout of the Day:

Favourite Swim Sets:

2020 National Masters Champion - M50-54 - 50m Butterfly
Quote Reply
Re: OWS goggles: photochromic lenses? [JasoninHalifax] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
At any rate... something that's low profile and will stay on my face during starts.

Canadian Record Holder 35-39M & 40-44M - 200 m Butterfly (LCM)
Quote Reply
Re: OWS goggles: photochromic lenses? [Vincible] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
I first tried those for Alcatraz and could not believe how well they worked in overcast conditions. They are my go to for all my swimming now...whether indoor or outdoor.
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
Having grown up a swimmer, I never wore anything but un-padded Swedish goggles. I tried out the polarized TYR Spec Ops 2 last year (simply for a change) and found them to be great OWS goggles. Very comfortable, good sun protection, and good field of view.

This season I went for the photochromatic Spec ops and i am hoping they work as well as other transitioning eye wear that I have used. In terms of the fit and feel of the goggle i can give it a thumbs up.

Jon Ryder
RPM Coaching
Quote Reply
Re: OWS goggles: photochromic lenses? [jpryder] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
I like the polarized TYR Spec OPS 2 for OWS also. I have found for me that they suck in the pool though, because of pushing off the wall.
Quote Reply