Login required to started new threads

Login required to post replies

How to widen pad stance on Shimano direct mount rear brake?
Quote | Reply
Hi, I recently picked up a '16 Cannondale Slice which is specced with Shimano 105 direct mount brakes. Front brake is no problem as it has traditional adjusters to widen the pad stance. However I cannot figure out how to adjust the rear brake to widen it enough to fit my rear Flo 90. The centering bolt which only moves one brake arm.

Anyone know how to operate these brakes? Thanks
Quote Reply
Re: How to widen pad stance on Shimano direct mount rear brake? [mr.fincher] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
My Ultegra brakes have a spacer between the pad shoe and the brake itself. I'm thinking removing those would be a start.

-------------------
Madison photographer Timothy Hughes | Instagram
Quote Reply
Re: How to widen pad stance on Shimano direct mount rear brake? [Timtek] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
Going from the stock RS11 wheels to the Flo will require a bit more widening than that. It seams like there should be an easy way!
Quote Reply
Re: How to widen pad stance on Shimano direct mount rear brake? [mr.fincher] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
it's not easy to open up that brake enough to fit the flo, and even if you manage to get it to it's widest point, it barely clears. i had to sand down the pads to get a few mm on either side. i eventually just replaced it with a tririg brake simply because it's so easy to adjust the width.
Quote Reply
Re: How to widen pad stance on Shimano direct mount rear brake? [jazzymusicman] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
Sounds to me like you solved the issue. Why the brake switch were you swapping wheels a lot?

-------------------
Madison photographer Timothy Hughes | Instagram
Quote Reply
Re: How to widen pad stance on Shimano direct mount rear brake? [jazzymusicman] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
Thanks. I'll try the sanding route for now until I determine if I actually like the bike.
How did you open it to the widest point?
Quote Reply
Re: How to widen pad stance on Shimano direct mount rear brake? [Timtek] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
Timtek wrote:
Sounds to me like you solved the issue. Why the brake switch were you swapping wheels a lot?

Carbon flo 90 and carbon+al disc. It was a pain switching pads and getting the wheels in and out with minimal clearance. I was never comfortable with the idea of sanding down pads to use on a carbon brake track.

As far as getting them to their widest ... I Just messed around with it a ton. Don't remember what I did
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
I read that Shimano are introducing a thinner brake pad because their new wheelset is much wider. That may be an option? I don't know how easy they are to find right now but the wheels are released.

Ian
Quote Reply
Re: How to widen pad stance on Shimano direct mount rear brake? [tkos] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
This is likely an immensely stupid suggestion but could not a direct mount front go on the rear?
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
mr.fincher wrote:
Hi, I recently picked up a '16 Cannondale Slice which is specced with Shimano 105 direct mount brakes. Front brake is no problem as it has traditional adjusters to widen the pad stance. However I cannot figure out how to adjust the rear brake to widen it enough to fit my rear Flo 90. The centering bolt which only moves one brake arm.

have you tried, uhhh...loosening the cable?
Quote Reply
Re: How to widen pad stance on Shimano direct mount rear brake? [James Haycraft] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
I could but it makes wheel changes problematic. Flo is wider than my trainer wheel.
One would think with all the "genius" advancements in bike tech that brakes that widen and narrow would be a simple matter.
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
How bout the little lever - you can flip it to widen - does that work? I was thinking you could flip it open for the wide wheel (it'll still brake fine) and then flip it down for the narrow wheel. Barrel adjuster for fine tuning.
Quote Reply
Re: How to widen pad stance on Shimano direct mount rear brake? [James Haycraft] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
James Haycraft wrote:
mr.fincher wrote:

have you tried, uhhh...loosening the cable?

that only does so much on this brake. it just doesn't open very wide

lightheir wrote:
How bout the little lever - you can flip it to widen - does that work? I was thinking you could flip it open for the wide wheel (it'll still brake fine) and then flip it down for the narrow wheel. Barrel adjuster for fine tuning.

there's no lever on this brake
Last edited by: jazzymusicman: May 4, 17 10:44
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
I think the Fuji Transonic has two front direct mount brakes so it's not that crazy of an idea.
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
Yup, you're spot on. Cable doesn't open it much. The in line lever is supposed to be on this bike but mine did not come with it installed for some reason. On the plus side these brakes have excellent performance
Quote Reply
Re: How to widen pad stance on Shimano direct mount rear brake? [Sausagetail] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
The Transonic's are mounted above the wheel though. I'm assuming the issue would be the cable clearing the crank arms/rings/etc.
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
mr.fincher wrote:
Yup, you're spot on. Cable doesn't open it much. The in line lever is supposed to be on this bike but mine did not come with it installed for some reason. On the plus side these brakes have excellent performance

Here is a minorly crazy idea that is actually very reasonable.

You should install TWO separate INLINE cable adjusters on your cable. These are the ones where you cut the housing and replace it with an inline adjuster that can go literally anywhere on the cable where you cut.

You will then have 3 separate inline adjusters - two that you've cut to the cable housing, and one on the brake junction (the barrel adjuster that's there already). With 3 of them, you should be able to flip that switch, and then dial all 3 adjusters to open up the rear brake to accomodate the wider tire.

It's really easy to install the inline cable adjuster - literally just cut the housing, and stick the ends into the rodlike cable adjuster.
Quote Reply
Re: How to widen pad stance on Shimano direct mount rear brake? [lightheir] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
it's not an issue of inline adjusters or not. even with no cable installed, it is difficult to adjust this brake to accommodate the flo carbon clinchers. it has one adjustment screw and it's not very obvious the best way to "adjust it"
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
jazzymusicman wrote:
it's not an issue of inline adjusters or not. even with no cable installed, it is difficult to adjust this brake to accommodate the flo carbon clinchers. it has one adjustment screw and it's not very obvious the best way to "adjust it"

Doh - that's no good then. Sounds like you need a brake that'll fit it, or shave down those pads, unfortunately.
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
have you tried swapping the concave washers from inside the brake caliper arm to the outside? that gains you about ~2mm, which can be very useful.
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
I think I did try that. It helped but I needed the toe/camber adjustment. It's been a while since I messed with it since I switched to the tririg omega
Quote Reply