Login required to started new threads

Login required to post replies

New book. The Athlete's heart
Quote | Reply
Has anyone check this out yet.
Quote Reply
Re: New book. The Athlete's heart [Fishbum] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
not yet, but I plan to. I've heard Lesley and Simon speak on these topics a couple times, so it should be interesting.

--------------------------------------------
TEAM F3 Undurance
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
Fishbum wrote:
If you are referring to "The Haywire Heart" there is a thread on it. If it is something different who is the author?
Quote Reply
Re: New book. The Athlete's heart [HuffNPuff] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
HuffNPuff wrote:
Fishbum wrote:
If you are referring to "The Haywire Heart" there is a thread on it. If it is something different who is the author?

You are correct I misspoke about the name of the title
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
I read the book and recommend to anyone who is a lifelong endurance athlete. Search for the thread on it.
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
I'm eventually going to probably read it, but I'm curious – what are the suggestions offered in the book to "protect" our heart? Stop training so much?

@floathammerholdon | @partners_in_tri
Quote Reply
Re: New book. The Athlete's heart [cloy26] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
Basically. But the number of people linked to heart issues from endurance training is very small. Many go their entire life with no issues.

Make Inside Out Sports your next online tri shop! http://www.insideoutsports.com/
Quote Reply
Re: New book. The Athlete's heart [cloy26] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
cloy26 wrote:
I'm eventually going to probably read it, but I'm curious – what are the suggestions offered in the book to "protect" our heart? Stop training so much?

If you develop AFIB that is most definitely the prescription...time to become a fitness athlete, not a competitive athlete..."de-train" is the word he uses. The book provides specific treatment options for bad cases and identifies the various risks. Of course that will also work if you want to give it up now ... sorry, he didn't change my mind, although I will agree to being a semi-active couch potato plan if I ever do have an issue.

For those who won't give it up, he has one short chapter that recommends you wear a heart monitor during intense workouts to make sure nothing bad is going on; and he reviews the most effective supplements that "help create a healthier hear and reduce your chances of developing an arrhytmia." The anti-sup folks can quit reading now, but I was already on some of these. It is a short list: COQ10, L-Carnitine, Iodine, Garlic, Magnesium, and Aspirin. He isn't advocating them in all cases; you need to read the particulars. I take COQ10 and Magnesium daily.
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
HuffNPuff wrote:
cloy26 wrote:

If you develop AFIB that is most definitely the prescription...time to become a fitness athlete, not a competitive athlete..."de-train" is the word he uses. The book provides specific treatment options for bad cases and identifies the various risks. Of course that will also work if you want to give it up now ... sorry, he didn't change my mind, although I will agree to being a semi-active couch potato plan if I ever do have an issu
For those who won't give it up, he has one short chapter that recommends you wear a heart monitor during intense workouts to make sure nothing bad is going on; and he reviews the most effective supplements that "help create a healthier hear and reduce your chances of developing an arrhytmia." The anti-sup folks can quit reading now, but I was already on some of these. It is a short list: COQ10, L-Carnitine, Iodine, Garlic, Magnesium, and Aspirin. He isn't advocating them in all cases; you need to read the particulars. I take COQ10 and Magnesium daily.

What specifically should you be watching for with the heart rate monitor
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
A heart rate that doesn't return to normal after workouts or increases to a really high rate.

Make Inside Out Sports your next online tri shop! http://www.insideoutsports.com/
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
You can also check out Ben Greenfield's Beyond Training for ideas on longevity and heart health.
Quote Reply
Re: New book. The Athlete's heart [tickyboy] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
tickyboy wrote:
You can also check out Ben Greenfield's Beyond Training for ideas on longevity and heart health.

Does it involve wearing a magic bracelet?
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
Fishbum wrote:
HuffNPuff wrote:
cloy26 wrote:

If you develop AFIB that is most definitely the prescription...time to become a fitness athlete, not a competitive athlete..."de-train" is the word he uses. The book provides specific treatment options for bad cases and identifies the various risks. Of course that will also work if you want to give it up now ... sorry, he didn't change my mind, although I will agree to being a semi-active couch potato plan if I ever do have an issu

What specifically should you be watching for with the heart rate monitor

Beats me; he says this: "...get one that lets you download the data and review it later for irregularities." Early in the book, he states that "atrial fibrillation is defined as a rapid and irregular heartbeat above 300 beats per minute." Trust me, I won't need a heart rate monitor to know if I am having an episode of AFIB!! Still, it's a great book and I recommend it to all endurance athletes. Each chapter ends with a true case study...all sobering. Dave Scott is one of them.
Quote Reply