Login required to started new threads

Login required to post replies

Arthritis, hypochondria or "other"
Quote | Reply
I am 46.
I typically run about 45 mpw (on hard weeks) and 20 mpw (on easy weeks).

I do most of my runs outside.
Sometimes in rather high temperatures.
I live in Tucson.

I have sometimes had huge weight swings following runs in high temperatures.
The worst was when I did 20+ mile runs in 100+ degree weather. I have gained as much as 20lbs the day after these efforts.

Recently, I seem to be having problems with lingering soreness. It is a soreness that seems disproportionate to the run efforts.

The case in point is that yesterday I ran 4 miles at a slow pace. It was kinda hot (89 F).
But basically it was a short, easy run done in somewhat hot temperatures.

Why would this make me sore?

It seems likely that it is some kind of unnecessary or (non adaptive) swelling.

Is this early onset arthritis?

I don't have the same amount of soreness after running in cool conditions.
Quote Reply
Re: Arthritis, hypochondria or "other" [Velocibuddha] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
physician here.

First off, this forum is not a place to get a medical diagnosis. Please go to your physician to get a proper work up to properly rule out things like arthritis or more serious diseases.

But on the surface, you may want to consider magnesium supplementation, as this electrolyte is lost easily with profuse sweating. Low magnesium can cause cramping in some folks, as well as some digestive issues.

Otherwise, might want to pay a visit to the doctor!
Quote Reply
Re: Arthritis, hypochondria or "other" [stevenyoo] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
A gain of 20 pounds?
What's lingeringly sore?
Delayed onset muscle soreness?
Definitely time for an appointment with your internist.

Dr Jay
http://www.Tri-Pod.net
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
Don't want to scare you. But you should see a physician and I would get a baseline set of labs i.e. chem 7. I'd want to know your creatinine specifically. The more concerning thing to me is your massive weight swings within 24 hours? 20 pounds is extreme. To my back of the envelope calculation your total body water is swinging 9 liters within 24 hours. Not normal. Get checked out. When you talk about swelling, do you get puffy everywhere? Not a nephrologist but something is going a little hay wire in your renal system with water regulation. Go to your primary care. Has this weight swing happened consistently or just recently?
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
Velocibuddha wrote:
I have sometimes had huge weight swings following runs in high temperatures.
The worst was when I did 20+ mile runs in 100+ degree weather. I have gained as much as 20lbs the day after these efforts.
I'd see a doctor immediately with that much weight change, and if one wasn't available right away, I'd go to an emergency room.

http://www.jt10000.com/
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
Are your joints sore or your muscles? That at least would be a good place to start if you're worried about arthritis.
Quote Reply