Login required to started new threads

Login required to post replies

Latex + Stan rim tape
Quote | Reply
Hi,

I'm using for many years now Stan 21mm rim tape for all my wheels using latex tubes.

This tape is really great and protect perfectly, EXCEPT around the stem hole.

I am doing a cross with a sharp knife but those sharp edge seems always a risk for the tube.
Using a file don't seems to do a perfect job either and risk to take away a part of the aluminum rim.

Anyone having better trick to share???

Thanks,
Fred
Quote Reply
Re: Latex + Stan rim tape [quickguru] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
When you slice the cross and push the valve down into the rim, don't the sharp points of the cross just contact the metal valve stem? I don't think it even contacts the latex.

Plus, the tube is extra thick around the valve. I personally would not worry about this.

Have you had any tube failures/punctures right at the valve before?

Alex Arman

Strava
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
I heated up an old valve stem with a lighter and melted a hole through the tape. Has worked for me.
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
I use 2 layers of Stan's tape over the valve hole. Start taping near the hole, pass over the hole and then go all the way around until you pass over the hole again. I make the tiniest incision I can for the inner tube valve. As others have posted, the inner tube valve area is already reinforced so you ought to be fine. David K
Quote Reply
Re: Latex + Stan rim tape [JDinMA] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
I like that :)
Quote Reply
Re: Latex + Stan rim tape [jaretj] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
I've used screw drivers or anything metal, small enough and hot will give a nice clean hole. I've only done it for tubeless setups, so smaller is better. But you do end up with nice clean edges on the hole.

Pactimo brand ambassador, ask me about promo codes
Quote Reply
Re: Latex + Stan rim tape [JDinMA] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
JDinMA wrote:
I heated up an old valve stem with a lighter and melted a hole through the tape. Has worked for me.

That's my technique too. That, or a 5mm Allen key and I open the hole with the heat.

Quote | Reply
I run the Stan's tape right up to the hole but not over it. Zero issues for the 6 years I have been doing this.
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
We found in testing that cutting an X at the hole can lead to leakage in tubeless assemblies as the X rips when the valve is forced through. This is less critical if you're using tubeless tape with an inner tube, but for larger holes that rip can expose some hole edge that could lead to a cut or puncture over the long term. The best method we've found is to use an awl or something similarly round and sharp to make a nice puncture and then use the valve to enlarge the hole when you push it through. This results in the tape being pushed into the hole by the valve stem and gives extra protection around the edge of the hole. Also note that there is no real size standard for the rim bed hole and we've seen holes as small as 6.5mm and as large as 9mm..so having the tape flow into the hole to protect the edge can really save you if your rim hole is on the larger side.
Josh

http://www.SILCA.cc
Check out my podcast, inside stories from more than 20 years of product and tech innovation from inside the Pro Peloton and Pro Triathlon worlds!
http://www.marginalgainspodcast.cc
Quote Reply