Login required to started new threads

Login required to post replies

Prev Next
Re: Keep right or don't speed: which camp are you in? [Koala Bear] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
Start a new thread.

If there are no dogs in Heaven, then when I die I want to go where they went. - Will Rogers

Emery's Third Coast Triathlon | Tri Wisconsin Triathlon Team | Push Endurance | GLWR
Quote Reply
Re: Keep right or don't speed: which camp are you in? [JSA] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
I get home from school at 12:30, I'll get it up then
Quote Reply
Re: Keep right or don't speed: which camp are you in? [mv2005] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
BOOM.

Quote:
New law solidifies fine for slow drivers in left lane.

RICHMOND, Va. (WAVY) — We all know the feeling when you’re trying to get somewhere on time, but someone is hogging the left lane.

A new Virginia law goes into effect Saturday that solidifies the fine for those who get caught using the left lane for more than passing.

HB 2201 says failing to drive on the right side of highways or failing to observe traffic lanes can set you back $100.

http://wavy.com/...rivers-in-left-lane/

The devil made me do it the first time, second time I done it on my own - W
Last edited by: sphere: Jun 30, 17 14:28
Quote Reply
Re: Keep right or don't speed: which camp are you in? [sphere] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
sphere wrote:
BOOM.

Quote:

RICHMOND, Va. (WAVY) — We all know the feeling when you’re trying to get somewhere on time, but someone is hogging the left lane.

A new Virginia law goes into effect Saturday that solidifies the fine for those who get caught using the left lane for more than passing.

HB 2201 says failing to drive on the right side of highways or failing to observe traffic lanes can set you back $100.

This old chestnut? ;) is this meant to imply some sort of 'case closed'? We've had those laws for years.

Interesting things to come out of that link:

The person creating the bill said it was done for two reasons, both made reference to persons driving under the speed limit. Note the word limit, not operational speed or any other measure. Much of the debate here seemed to be people passing at 0-5, even 10 over. By their (your link) own words those drivers aren't the issue and the law doesn't apply to them if they're passing.

I also found it interesting when reference was made to unsafe passing on the right. I don't see why it's any less safe. Indeed your visibility is improved because you don't need to turn your head as far to check blind spots (foreign concept to many) and the B pillar fills up proportionately less of your peripheral vision.

Some people seemed to think I was condoning just sitting out in the fast lane on empty carriageways. Those people lack reading comprehension.

Society these days has been groomed to blame others. Slow drivers are little more than a nuisance. We are meant to keep a safe distance to vehicles in front. You're meant to be able to brake in time for a stationary object. So people claiming a car doing 10-20 slower than them is a hazard probably shouldn't be on the road any more than the fool pottering along in the fast lane.
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply

If there are no dogs in Heaven, then when I die I want to go where they went. - Will Rogers

Emery's Third Coast Triathlon | Tri Wisconsin Triathlon Team | Push Endurance | GLWR
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply

Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
JSA wrote:

Too predictable. I suspect this has become your go to meme for me, much like the moose poking its head in the window for BLeP?

I find your perceptions of me highly amusing. So be it. I can live with that. There's a lot worse to be called!
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
mv2005 wrote:
sphere wrote:
BOOM.

Quote:

This old chestnut? ;) is this meant to imply some sort of 'case closed'? We've had those laws for years.

Interesting things to come out of that link:

The person creating the bill said it was done for two reasons, both made reference to persons driving under the speed limit. Note the word limit, not operational speed or any other measure. Much of the debate here seemed to be people passing at 0-5, even 10 over. By their (your link) own words those drivers aren't the issue and the law doesn't apply to them if they're passing.

I also found it interesting when reference was made to unsafe passing on the right. I don't see why it's any less safe. Indeed your visibility is improved because you don't need to turn your head as far to check blind spots (foreign concept to many) and the B pillar fills up proportionately less of your peripheral vision.

Some people seemed to think I was condoning just sitting out in the fast lane on empty carriageways. Those people lack reading comprehension.

Society these days has been groomed to blame others. Slow drivers are little more than a nuisance. We are meant to keep a safe distance to vehicles in front. You're meant to be able to brake in time for a stationary object. So people claiming a car doing 10-20 slower than them is a hazard probably shouldn't be on the road any more than the fool pottering along in the fast lane.

The whole issue is less about danger than clogging up the lanes. I've been up and down the i95 in NJ three weekends in a row, driving about 1.5 hours each way each time. I can't tell you how many morons there are sitting in the middle and left lanes with nothing to their right. They cause everything to clog up and slow, simply because they're too damn lazy to change lanes. And so often you have no choice but to pass them on the right, which is fine as a temporary solution sometimes but not ideal of course. They're moronic because they don't even know they are breaking the law.

Sadly the police rarely do anything, although I did once see a NJ cop drive for about 2 miles behind someone sitting in the fast lane before pulling them over, hopefully to ticket them. Clearly they never look in their mirror. Even the signs saying "keep right unless passing" are normally posted over on the right side, so the people who actually need to read it, don't see it!
Quote Reply
Re: Keep right or don't speed: which camp are you in? [Kay Serrar] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
Kay Serrar wrote:

The whole issue is less about danger than clogging up the lanes. I've been up and down the i95 in NJ three weekends in a row, driving about 1.5 hours each way each time. I can't tell you how many morons there are sitting in the middle and left lanes with nothing to their right. They cause everything to clog up and slow, simply because they're too damn lazy to change lanes. And so often you have no choice but to pass them on the right, which is fine as a temporary solution sometimes but not ideal of course. They're moronic because they don't even know they are breaking the law.

Sadly the police rarely do anything, although I did once see a NJ cop drive for about 2 miles behind someone sitting in the fast lane before pulling them over, hopefully to ticket them. Clearly they never look in their mirror. Even the signs saying "keep right unless passing" are normally posted over on the right side, so the people who actually need to read it, don't see it!

Great response, and I agree 100% with what you say. Many have however tried to sell it as a hazard issue.
Quote Reply

Prev Next