Login required to started new threads

Login required to post replies

Cousin memories.
Quote | Reply
I was just thinking about my family and remembered one of my most favorite cousins.

When I was 8 I was at a family get together and Lance was there. Rance was 17. He smoked, drank beer, cussed in front of the grown ups and worked on his car with his buddies. He scared the shit out of me. They were like these wild animals full of danger. They yelled at us to leave them alone and flicked their smokes at us. Pure terror.

The next summer I went to a family get together and Rance was there. He smoked, drank beer, cussed in front of the grown up and worked on his car with his buddies. He was now a god. He was so cool. The terror was replaced with admiration of this true individual who lived life without fear and had a girlfriend he kissed. So cool! Now he is a middle aged dad who is sweet as pie and very loving toward all of us. There is small piece of me who wishes he would have continued down the road of being a badass creep with a curly mullet.

Anyone else have cousin memories?
Quote Reply
Re: Cousin memories. [Tibbsy] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
i know a rance. hes not your cousin though. not a very common name!

who's smarter than you're? i'm!
Quote Reply
Re: Cousin memories. [veganerd] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
Everyone named Rance is automatically cool.
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
I have a cousin who is 6 years younger then me. I was never a drinkin', cussin', mullet wearing teen, but he did look up to me in that big brotherly way, as he had no siblings. Growing up, every year when asked what he wanted for Christmas, his birthday, etc, he would say "I want to be bigger then BCtriguy!". Well, I grew up to be 6'1" and 190 lbs... and he is now 6'5" and like 240 lbs. Mission accomplished.

We are very close, my wife and I go on vacations with him and his girlfriend, he works for me and was the first employee I hired, was a groomsman of mine, etc. He still occasionally asks me big brother type questions, the other day was "how did you know you were ready to marry BCtrigirl?" so I've naturally already got my speech for his future wedding prepared.

It's great to have family you get along with.

Long Chile was a silly place.
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
My 2 closest cousins is a product of a weird relationship; a pair of brother/sisters married each other. So my mom and adopted dad married; adopted dad's sister married my mom's brother. (That aunt and uncle of mine divorced after my mom's brother couldn't keep it in his pants; she's been far better off without him since he's a train wreck, but I digress.)

The 4 of us, the 2 cousins and my brother & I, would constantly play games, make up adventures, goof off, explore. We played A-Team a lot. My oldest cousin, Bobby, was real world intelligent, constantly able to figure out how to make things work, how to take charge and make things awesome and fun, taking us farther than we were supposed to go on our bikes, and we always knew that he'd take care of us. He was like a real life statue of David in my eyes. He was Hannibal in our A-Team. His brother was Murdock in our A Team, unpredictable, wild, somehow always surprising us with wit and the "oh shit" moments we'd be sucked in. My brother was BA Baracus, constantly pushing back with his attitude that showed a confidence that belied his actual size, tough, never say die, his own creature. I was Face, having intelligence but not the confidence to use it as the leader, able to come up with schemes and scams, a bit of vanity, although I had no way with the womenz as the real Face did.

We also played a sort of demolition derby game with Legos. We'd build these intricate bricks of Lego cars with a minifigure entombed somewhere in the middle, wind them back in a one on one event, smash the cars into each other with speed, repeat after the collision, repeat until a minifigure ejected, with the person whose minifigure ejected first being the loser. The wheels were only parts that could be put back on the brick-car-contraptions. It was awesome. I can't wait to introduce it to my son...when my wife isn't around to scold me, of course.

There was never a want for childhood adventure and mayhem with the 4 of us. I miss it, even including the time we all got our asses beat for accidentally throwing a golf ball through the Mormon church's stained glass window after my brother didn't have the arm strength to throw the ball over the top of the building. I was smart enough to know I didn't have the strength, so I didn't attempt it. Being BA Baracus, he was like "fuck yall, I'm going for it!!" in his little 7 year old way and threw the ball as a line drive straight into a window. We were honest or dumb enough to turn ourselves in, not sure which.

Tibbsy wrote:
I was just thinking about my family and remembered one of my most favorite cousins.

When I was 8 I was at a family get together and Lance was there. Rance was 17. He smoked, drank beer, cussed in front of the grown ups and worked on his car with his buddies. He scared the shit out of me. They were like these wild animals full of danger. They yelled at us to leave them alone and flicked their smokes at us. Pure terror.

The next summer I went to a family get together and Rance was there. He smoked, drank beer, cussed in front of the grown up and worked on his car with his buddies. He was now a god. He was so cool. The terror was replaced with admiration of this true individual who lived life without fear and had a girlfriend he kissed. So cool! Now he is a middle aged dad who is sweet as pie and very loving toward all of us. There is small piece of me who wishes he would have continued down the road of being a badass creep with a curly mullet.

Anyone else have cousin memories?
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
I think I found a picture of Rance.

Travis Rassat
Vector Cycle Works
Noblesville, IN
BikeFit Instructor | FMS | F.I.S.T. | IBFI
Toughman Triathlon Series Ambassador
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
Tibbsy wrote:

Ron Howard's dad's name is Rance

http://www.imdb.com/name/nm0397555/

"What's your claim?" - Ben Gravy
"Your best work is the work you're excited about" - Rick Rubin
Quote Reply
Re: Cousin memories. [Travis R] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
Seems legit. Rance is definitely the type that would steal a shirt from a guy named Todd, tear the sleeves off, and wear it around town.

"The right to party is a battle we have fought, but we'll surrender and go Amish... NOT!" -Wayne Campbell
Quote Reply
Re: Cousin memories. [burnman] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
I thought it was a Chinese Lance.

If I don't, who will? -Me
It's like being bipolar in opinion is a requirement around here. -TripleThreat
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
I had a cousin named Terry. I visited him in Las Vegas when I was 19. He was always a bit off center. He did drugs, married 3 times, was friends with THE Marilyn Chambers, played some guitar and exaggerated the truth beyond belief. The last time I heard from him was a phone call from him one night while I was back in Michigan. He said he was sending me a pound... That was Terry. A couple of months later he OD'd. I think he was 23.

"The great pleasure in life is doing what people say you cannot do."
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
My mother was from a family of 6 girls and my father was from a family of 9 boys. They were in Holland and the families met on the way to Canada and 3 of the sisters (one being my Mom) married 3 of the brothers (one being my Dad). All the families settled close to each other and all have big families. I'm from a family of 9 kids and the others have 5 and 6.

Almost all of my friends growing up were my cousins and we are still close.
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
Tibbsy wrote:

Rance Mulliniks

How does Danny Hart sit down with balls that big?
Last edited by: BLeP: May 3, 17 8:55
Quote Reply
Re: Cousin memories. [BLeP] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
Hell yeah!
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
Then there's Opie's father, Rance Howard.

Quote Reply
Re: Cousin memories. [Sanuk] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
Awesome dude.
Quote Reply
Re: Cousin memories. [Sanuk] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
Sanuk wrote:
My mother was from a family of 6 girls and my father was from a family of 9 boys. They were in Holland and the families met on the way to Canada and 3 of the sisters (one being my Mom) married 3 of the brothers (one being my Dad). All the families settled close to each other and all have big families. I'm from a family of 9 kids and the others have 5 and 6.
Almost all of my friends growing up were my cousins and we are still close.

That is a cool story.
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
I once knew a Rence. Short for Clarence.

War is god
Quote Reply
Re: Cousin memories. [MidwestRoadie] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
MidwestRoadie wrote:
...We also played a sort of demolition derby game with Legos. We'd build these intricate bricks of Lego cars with a minifigure entombed somewhere in the middle, wind them back in a one on one event, smash the cars into each other with speed, repeat after the collision, repeat until a minifigure ejected, with the person whose minifigure ejected first being the loser. The wheels were only parts that could be put back on the brick-car-contraptions. It was awesome.

Ha, my brother and I did exactly that, except we had it set up on a ramped section of hot wheels track where we'd divide them into 'weight classes' and then have a tourney where they'd each take turns either going from the top of the ramp (offense) or waiting at the bottom (defense). We even broke some Lego pieces on occasion (not breaking the assemblies apart, but actually cracking & chipping individual blocks).
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
My dad is the youngest of 18 kids...yes 18!

I have a ton of cousins and some great memories!
Quote Reply