Login required to started new threads

Login required to post replies

Army guys: what are these 3 things?
Quote | Reply
I found these in former Yugoslavia.
This is about 3 feet long, made of iron and very heavy. Some kind of machine-gun barrel?

This is about 20cm long

Looks like some machine-gun contraption, according to the owner but he wasn't sure.

Quote Reply
Re: Army guys: what are these 3 things? [softrun] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
machine gun barrel mortar shell and recoiless rifle or a mountain gun are my guesses
Quote Reply
Re: Army guys: what are these 3 things? [windywave] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
First and third are quite possible but the second one is too small and too light for a mortar shell. It is made of aluminum, I forgot to mention.

Ad Muncher
Last edited by: softrun: May 2, 17 20:56
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
softrun wrote:
I found these in former Yugoslavia.
This is about 3 feet long, made of iron and very heavy. Some kind of machine-gun barrel?

Do the holes go all the way through? If so, not a barrel. Could be a heat shield but unlikely if it's heavy.

This is about 20cm long

This is a mortar. They don't have to be heavy, and the fins typically are aluminum or some lightweight metal, the weight would be in the head from the HE. Quite possible it's a training or dummy round, and if you actually have it, I'd hope that's the case.

Looks like some machine-gun contraption, according to the owner but he wasn't sure.

Pretty sure this is an early mortar tube/firing mechanism. Projectile would slide over the end, charge would fire down low near heat shield, gases would escape at top from holes firing off the round. That's all a guess, never seen one like this but it definitely functions close to that way.
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
i am no expert--i just use weapons A LOT in my profession so i have a passing knowledge on the matter.

Your first pic is of a MG shroud--it covers a MG barrel (a air cooled version) and allows you to move them about to do various thing while the barrel itself is still to hot to handle. Those MF's get real hot real quick so a shroud is a good thing to have.

The second looks like a practice mortar bomb to me. It's not one designed to explode. You put charges along the fins and launch it out the mortar tube (bang/boom) and when the thing plummets to earth you use it over again. We (US) have such things and that's what this one looks like to me. You should have a EOD guy look at it tho cause if that front head shows any signs of holding powder/explosive then u don't want to be messing around with it.

Third pic appears to be of a primitive anti-tank rifle, or possible part of a primitive MG? Hard to say without looking at the breach mechanism and if that's all there is or there's some stuff missing? I don't know the era but if i had to guess it would be WWI abouts. Very hard to say without the other equipment that was part of original weapon system.

I am not a google image search kinda guy so those are just my thoughts based on what you've given us

Again. I am a sort of advanced user of modern systems-not a actual weapons expert. Fully prepared to be proven wrong.

/r

Steve
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
As mentioned earlier the first picture is the barrel shroud of a machine gun. By the look of it, I would venture to say from an airplane. It has mounting points on the shroud itself for installation in the wings or on top of an engine. http://www.inert-ord.net/luft02h/index.html

Second one is a training round. Seems a bit small for a mortar, so my guess would be a rifle grenade training round. Hard to say with only a picture.

Third one, the tube in the middle might have been in the past the barrel of a rifle or a light machine gun. The rest including the wheels and the contraption at the back is only junk welded to it to make it look like a weapon of some sort. By a welder that has no clue what a gun looks like. JC
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
softrun wrote:
This is about 20cm long

Quote Reply
Re: Army guys: what are these 3 things? [Steve Hawley] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
Steve Hawley wrote:
Your first pic is of a MG shroud--it covers a MG barrel (a air cooled version) and allows you to move them about to do various thing while the barrel itself is still to hot to handle. Those MF's get real hot real quick so a shroud is a good thing to have.

/r

Yep, I think it's the forward part of an MG-34, a German WWII machine gun that was also repurposed for Star Wars as a Stormtrooper's weapon.
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
Careful Re: the Second Object. Hopefully it's just an inert round. But there have been incidents where UXO gets picked up, and *blammo* kills curious kids/soldiers/civilians.
Quote Reply