Login required to started new threads

Login required to post replies

Lange's SRM/THM/Look crankset (front page article)
Quote | Reply
I'm loving that SRM crankset that looks very, very much like a THM M3 crankset (my personal roadbike crank of choice) with the Look insert for changing crank length. (the inserts are held in by the pedals screwing in, hence the zip tie).

I'm not a huge SRM fan due to the price, but this crankset really does check all the boxes. I also read that this crankset is using a 30mm steel bb spindle that is suppose to be lighter and stiffer than the aluminum 30mm M3 spindle.

My only beef: The look insert is 170-172.5-175. I wish it topped out at 172.5, or even 170 and got shorter by 2.5mm from there... then that would be a perfect crankset.

wovebike.com | Wove on instagram
Quote Reply
Re: Lange's SRM/THM/Look crankset (front page article) [milesthedog] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
milesthedog wrote:
I'm loving that SRM crankset that looks very, very much like a THM M3 crankset (my personal roadbike crank of choice) with the Look insert for changing crank length. (the inserts are held in by the pedals screwing in, hence the zip tie).

I'm not a huge SRM fan due to the price, but this crankset really does check all the boxes. I also read that this crankset is using a 30mm steel bb spindle that is suppose to be lighter and stiffer than the aluminum 30mm M3 spindle.

My only beef: The look insert is 170-172.5-175. I wish it topped out at 172.5, or even 170 and got shorter by 2.5mm from there... then that would be a perfect crankset.

They should make two versions, IMO: 170-172.5-175 and 165-167.5-170. The first size would be the logical choice for most of their pros, but I bet that second size would sell a lot to the AG crowd.

"Non est ad astra mollis e terris via." - Seneca | rappstar.com | FB - Rappstar Racing | IG - @jordanrapp
Quote Reply
Re: Lange's SRM/THM/Look crankset (front page article) [Rappstar] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
Rappstar wrote:

They should make two versions, IMO: 170-172.5-175 and 165-167.5-170. The first size would be the logical choice for most of their pros, but I bet that second size would sell a lot to the AG crowd.

Seems like any distinction would be based more on size than pro/amateur status.

There are small-statutered pros (e.g. Many female pros) as just one example.
Quote Reply
Re: Lange's SRM/THM/Look crankset (front page article) [milesthedog] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
I was trying to experiment again going longer to reduce stack height out of the occasion, but one ride back on the 162.5mm totally changed that again. Would like to see a 160-162.5-165 option as well.

Link to front page article

Save: $50 on Speed Hound Recovery Boots | $20 on Air Relax| $100 on Normatec| 15% on Most Absorbable Magnesium

Blogs: Best CHEAP Zwift / Bike Trainer Desk | Theragun G3 vs $140 Bivi Percussive Massager | Normatec Pulse 2.0 vs Normatec Pulse | Speed Hound vs Normatec | Air Relax vs Normatec | Q1 2018 Blood Test Results | | Why HED JET+ Is The BEST value wheelset
Quote Reply
Re: Lange's SRM/THM/Look crankset (front page article) [tetonrider] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
rethinking that comment, this crankset is going to sell to road cyclists, so the current sizing is pretty spot on.

Note on rider size: Frodo is on 170 this year

I'm really surprised to read the comment that this crank is the most aero they tested. I love the crank, but that pinch bolt doesn't scream aero.

Quote Reply
Re: Lange's SRM/THM/Look crankset (front page article) [Thomas Gerlach] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
If you go longer, your foot is lower at the bottom of the pedal stroke, so you have to lower your seatpost, effectively raising front end stack height

Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
milesthedog wrote:
If you go longer, your foot is lower at the bottom of the pedal stroke, so you have to lower your seatpost, effectively raising front end stack height

The assumption is other angles would be held static so you'd bring the front end down relative to the bottom bracket.
Quote Reply
Re: Lange's SRM/THM/Look crankset (front page article) [GreenPlease] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
ahhh, I was thinking from a narrowed scope due to me current situation where I have a front end that won't go any lower, so I'm considering going to a shorter crank specifically to 'lower my front end' , effectively

Quote Reply
Re: Lange's SRM/THM/Look crankset (front page article) [Rappstar] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
ZED 3 crankset for 796-795 bike has 3 sizes :
1) 155 - 157.5 - 160
2) 162.5 - 165 - 167.5
3) 170 - 172.5 - 175

I guess if there are enough requests the SRM Origin "made by LOOK" could offer the same options !
Last edited by: pyf: May 3, 17 6:59
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
I am hearing that possibly this Fall/winter might be the release of their re-chargeable one

Follow me on Twitter @CK21TRHC
I use what I love: ISM, Blue70, Trek, FLO
Quote Reply
Re: Lange's SRM/THM/Look crankset (front page article) [pyf] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
pyf wrote:
ZED 3 crankset for 796-795 bike has 3 sizes :
1) 155 - 157.5 - 160
2) 162.5 - 165 - 167.5
3) 170 - 172.5 - 175

I guess if there are enough requests the SRM Origin "made by LOOK" could offer the same options !

Pretty ingenious way to minimize the number of SKUs one has.
Quote Reply