Login required to started new threads

Login required to post replies

Flo Carbon wheel high pitched squeel when braking
Quote | Reply
I have a flo carbon clincher 90 in rear 60 in front and as long as I have had then there has been a crazy loud squeal/hum/ freight train noise when I brake.
Using the supplied flo pads, recently switched to a tri rig front brake which didn't improve it.
Anyone experience this/ have a solution?
Quote Reply
Re: Flo Carbon wheel high pitched squeel when braking [JustTooFarr] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
That's a fairly common issue with carbon wheels. First try cleaning the brake surface and the pads with alcohol. Then angle the pads so that the front of the pad is about the width of a dime closer than the rear

Should solve the problem.

---------------------------
''Sweeney - you can both crush your AG *and* cruise in dead last!! 😂 '' Murphy's Law
Quote Reply
Re: Flo Carbon wheel high pitched squeel when braking [JustTooFarr] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
JustTooFarr wrote:
I have a flo carbon clincher 90 in rear 60 in front and as long as I have had then there has been a crazy loud squeal/hum/ freight train noise when I brake.
Using the supplied flo pads, recently switched to a tri rig front brake which didn't improve it.
Anyone experience this/ have a solution?

Along with the suggestions others have made I'll make the following suggestion. This typically occurs due to some type of dirt or debris on your brake tracks or brake pads. It's pretty easy to get either of the above dirty while installing your tires/wheels. I'd recommend cleaning both the brake tracks and the brake pads with Acetone. You can get it at your local hardware store. Just make sure you use the product in a well ventilated area.

Please let me know if you have any additional questions.

Chris Thornham
Co-Founder And Previous Owner Of FLO Cycling
Quote Reply
Re: Flo Carbon wheel high pitched squeel when braking [Canadian] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
Canadian wrote:

. I'd recommend cleaning both the brake tracks and the brake pads with Acetone.

Heads up, those tririg calipers hate acetone.
Just be careful with where the rag touches or you'll end up with the paint blistering and peeling.

@christopher_borden •
Spinning Spoke • Dimond Bikes • Flo Cycling • Castelli Cycling
Last edited by: Borden: May 3, 17 2:58
Quote Reply
Re: Flo Carbon wheel high pitched squeel when braking [Sweeney] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
Sweeney wrote:
That's a fairly common issue with carbon wheels. First try cleaning the brake surface and the pads with alcohol. Then angle the pads so that the front of the pad is about the width of a dime closer than the rear

Should solve the problem.

This
Quote Reply
Re: Flo Carbon wheel high pitched squeel when braking [Borden] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
Borden wrote:
Canadian wrote:

Just be careful with where the rag touches or you'll end up with the paint blistering and peeling.

Thanks for pointing that out.

Chris Thornham
Co-Founder And Previous Owner Of FLO Cycling
Quote Reply
Re: Flo Carbon wheel high pitched squeel when braking [Borden] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
Borden wrote:
Canadian wrote:

An additional "heads up" about the Omega and Omega X calipers...they don't have an allowance in the pad holder mounts for "toe-in" adjustment of the pads.

I've done it in the past on an Omega using small shims behind the pad holder though...so it's not impossible.

http://bikeblather.blogspot.com/
Quote Reply
Re: Flo Carbon wheel high pitched squeel when braking [Tom A.] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
Tom A. wrote:
An additional "heads up" about the Omega and Omega X calipers...they don't have an allowance in the pad holder mounts for "toe-in" adjustment of the pads.
Have you seen any calipers that have toe-in ? My Dura Ace calipers do not have toe-in either.
Quote Reply
Re: Flo Carbon wheel high pitched squeel when braking [exxxviii] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
exxxviii wrote:
Tom A. wrote:

Have you seen any calipers that have toe-in ? My Dura Ace calipers do not have toe-in either.

It's typically handled at the pad holder interface (spherical washer surfaces). The Omegas have a brake specific pad holder that doesn't include that type of interface.

http://bikeblather.blogspot.com/
Quote Reply
Re: Flo Carbon wheel high pitched squeel when braking [Tom A.] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
I'll have to check out my other brakes. I had not noticed it when I did my last bike build.
Quote Reply
Re: Flo Carbon wheel high pitched squeel when braking [exxxviii] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
You can 100% do it on almost any brake, including Shimano Dura Ace.
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
I have noticed much less squeal from using a softer pad like the Swiss stop black prince. Not sure if that voids the flow warranty or not.
Quote Reply