Login required to started new threads

Login required to post replies

Flo 90 valve extender?
Quote | Reply
So I just changed from Flo 45 to Flo 60 - 90. Stupid question but are there any tubes out there making valves long enough that I will not need an extender for the rear
Quote Reply
Re: Flo 90 valve extender? [Fishbum] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
No.
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
As Jim said, not for the 90. I'll just add that at one time they were shipping Silca extenders with their deep wheels. They've published the valve length / extender length combinations they recommend.
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
Fishbum wrote:
So I just changed from Flo 45 to Flo 60 - 90. Stupid question but are there any tubes out there making valves long enough that I will not need an extender for the rear

Unfortunately no. My recommendations for tube/valve extender lengths are as follows.

A 48mm presta tube.

A Silca 34 extender for the FLO 60 and a Silca 60 extender for the FLO 90.

I hope that helps.

Chris Thornham
Co-Founder And Previous Owner Of FLO Cycling
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply

Quote Reply
Re: Flo 90 valve extender? [Canadian] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
Silca is discontinuing their valve extenders. FYI
Quote Reply
Re: Flo 90 valve extender? [baliman] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
 so who else makes them
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
HED, Conti, Topeak, Zipp, Stans, etc

http://www.slowtwitch.com/...der_How-To_3007.html
Last edited by: kppolich: May 4, 17 13:30
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
baliman wrote:
Silca is discontinuing their valve extenders. FYI

Are you sure? I know Josh and the guys really well and I haven't heard anything about this. In fact, we just opened a custom FLO logo mold for our gaskets.

Chris Thornham
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
Maybe they still produce extenders for other brands but this is what Silca (Daniel) wrote to me in an e-mail a couple of weeks ago: "Thanks for reaching out! Unfortunately, we are in the process of discontinuing all of our fixed and removable valve core extensions. We will continue to provide our tubeless valves and tape, but those will be the only extensions that are available from us."
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
So sorry for the confusion everybody. YES, we are still making extenders, but with a focus on our OEM partners. The SILCA extenders are the original design and have a gasket that is only 18mm long compared to the 25mm long we use for the OE version. To retool the SILCA version would be many thousands of dollars and realistically just put us in a position where we are competing with our own customers. We have decided that rather than create more expensive tooling and even more part numbers internally, we will expand our threaded extender range under the SILCA brand while we continue selling the world's greatest valve extender to our favorite wheel companies worldwide.

Josh

http://www.SILCA.cc
Check out my podcast, inside stories from more than 20 years of product and tech innovation from inside the Pro Peloton and Pro Triathlon worlds!
http://www.marginalgainspodcast.cc
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
Canadian wrote:
Fishbum wrote:

Unfortunately no. My recommendations for tube/valve extender lengths are as follows.

A 48mm presta tube.

I hope that helps.

Why not just run a tube with an 80 millimeter stem on the front 60?
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
Fishbum wrote:
Canadian wrote:
Fishbum wrote:

A 48mm presta tube.

I hope that helps.

Why not just run a tube with an 80 millimeter stem on the front 60?

You certainly can... I just like to limit the number of parts I have to carry and like to make sure I can interchange any part. For example, if all of my extenders work with a 48mm tube, then I can easily fix a flat for any wheel I have. Also, 48mm tubes are a lot cheaper.

Chris Thornham
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
Also be sure to remember to keep your spare setup for your deepest wheel. I've seen so many athletes at events stuck on the side of the road over having too short a valve stem and there is always some logic behind how it happened, but the result is the same.. We recommend setting up your spare tube with longest length extender and pressure checking it before packing it away..that way you can be sure there are no leaks and all is good no matter what wheel you are training or racing on.

Josh

ps, we have a nice blog post on this very topic: https://silca.cc/...-your-spare-prepared

http://www.SILCA.cc
Check out my podcast, inside stories from more than 20 years of product and tech innovation from inside the Pro Peloton and Pro Triathlon worlds!
http://www.marginalgainspodcast.cc
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
Here's what I do........

I buy 80 mm valves on my tubes and run a 30 mm internal extender on the rear. For races (actually, I just keep it in there all the time, now) I go ahead and add the extra extension (I had to buy 2) to my spare tube. It'll work, that way, on either wheel, should I flat.
Quote Reply
Re: Flo 90 valve extender? [nc452010] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
I'm running the Flo 60/90 setup and similar to a few responses I'm also running 60mm tubes and use a conti 60mm ext. for the rear. On my spare tube I have a 60mm conti ext. to use for either the front or rear.
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
If there is no one....will any one ever make a tube to fit a 90 wheel without valve extenders? Changing a flat sucks.
Quote Reply
Re: Flo 90 valve extender? [Etexag] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
It isn't hard to fix a flat with a valve extender.
Quote Reply
Re: Flo 90 valve extender? [jimatbeyond] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
Congrats...I am glad you are good at it
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
Etexag wrote:
Congrats...I am glad you are good at it

If you are running a set like Flo 60/90 where the tube for the 90 will also work fine for the 60 (just look weird), then it is simple: just put an extension on the spare. Done deal. It is exactly the same as replacing a tube on box rims.

Of course, it gets more complicated if you are doing 60/disc or 90/disc.

It would be great if the cutoff holes on disc wheels were lower down so that the same tubes for your front wheel would work on the back. Right now, it is perfect if you run a box wheel/disc...worthless. I understand the simplicity argument of not needing an extender for the rear, but wow...would love it if the cutoff hole was cut lower down for normal deep valves (60) and also longer to accommodate the longer valve stems (90).
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
Could you explain what is difficult?

Maybe we could make some suggestions to make it easier.
Quote Reply
Re: Flo 90 valve extender? [jimatbeyond] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
I never said it was difficult, but sucks because it takes more time. Also more parts to leak or fail. I wouldn't think It would be difficult either to make a tube to fit these wheels and eliminate the valve extender. I understand putting it already on the tube works, but if you have a 40/60 and a 90 on the back they are very different sizes.
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
It shouldn't take any extra time. Just use the longest extender on your spare tube.

Teflon tape prevents leaks.

The demand for tubes with long valves is very small, so the manufacturers don't want to make them and the bike shops don't want to stock them.
Quote Reply