Login required to started new threads

Login required to post replies

Ironman Santa Rosa - Kinetic Energy
Quote | Reply
Hey fast-twitchers -

For clarification purposes, I'm a 2:38 90k rider slowly increasing. I'm racing both Ironman 70.3 Santa Rosa and Ironman Santa Rosa (both have minimal elevation gain).
Further clarification: You know the two mathematical equations of S+1 and N-1...as a married man I fall under the N-1 category...that holds true for wheels as well. I would love to purchase new Zipp 808's or Lightweight Autobahn's...but N-1. I enjoy being married.

So my question is: I currently ride Profile Design Altair Carbon 80's. Combined these are roughly 2,000g's in weight and I'm curious if a heavier wheel like that provides greater kinetic energy on a relatively flat course than say the Lightweight Autobahn's?

What type of savings of 90k (or 180k) would a wheelset of Autobahn's provide me over my current wheelset?

Thanks!
Quote Reply
Re: Ironman Santa Rosa - Kinetic Energy [ShivDoinidis] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
Just considering weight, you are looking at roughly zero difference. The only time weight will matter at all on a flat ironman course is during your acceleration right when you get on the bike, and even that will be a difference of a small fraction of a second.

If there is an aero difference between the wheels it will matter more (but probably still really small), but I do not know the relative benefits of those two choices.

-------------
Ed O'Malley
www.VeloVetta.com
Founder of VeloVetta Cycling Shoes
Instagram • Facebook
Quote Reply
Re: Ironman Santa Rosa - Kinetic Energy [ShivDoinidis] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
As Ed said, zero difference.

But on the N-1 front, unless your wife is into bikes she probably cannot tell if your zipps are new or not.

Are you ready to do an Ultraman? | How I calculate Ironman race fueling | Strength Training for Athletes |
Quote Reply