Login required to started new threads

Login required to post replies

Prev Next
Re: Guy gets lost surfing [windywave] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
That would work if I knew how to swim! I'll happily remain a sunbather & keep my fear of open water alive.

The crazy thing about that is I'm 100% fearless and OK when I put waders on to chase steelhead, but swimming terrifies me.

windywave wrote:
MidwestRoadie wrote:
Undertows can be wicked. We have them pretty bad in Lake Michigan and every year there are at least a couple people that drown because they get too far out and aren't (or weren't, I suppose) strong enough swimmers to pull themselves out of it. I can only imagine that it's substantially stronger in the ocean.

Leddy wrote:
BLeP wrote:
The waves are generally going towards the shore I assume...

Yes but there are currents pulling away from the shore also. Ever been to the beach and watch lifeguards pull people out of the water that get sucked out.
Ride the rip until if stops pulling you (its like a fleur de lis) and then go parallel to the shore a bit more and then start in .... Lake Michigan swimming 101
Quote Reply
Re: Guy gets lost surfing [Bone Idol] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
Bone Idol wrote:
BLeP wrote:
Yeah, i don't go in the ocean. There's sharks in there you know?

I was in the check in queue at IMH one year (BDB) and started talking to a Canadian guy. He said that once we were through he was going to go for his first swim in the ocean. I naturally thought that he meant his first since landing on the island, but as we talked I realised that he meant his first swim in the ocean in his life. I've told that story to Australians who just can't comprehend it (85% of us live on the coast). I've told it to Canadians who say it's actually pretty common.

I don't go to Canada. There's moose in there you know? (way more dangerous than sharks).

I live on an island off the coast of Vancouver. Most people who live here don't go in the ocean, because the ocean is god damned freezing. For the 3 or 4 weeks of heat wave we get a year some people may dip in, but for the most part it's a no go.

Sure is pretty to look at, though!

Long Chile was a silly place.
Quote Reply
Re: Guy gets lost surfing [BCtriguy1] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
Which island? Definitely one of the most beautiful areas on earth, you're very lucky. We are taking our sailboat up there next summer to explore - can't wait.
Quote Reply
Re: Guy gets lost surfing [JD21] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
I am lucky. This place is amazing.

I live in Victoria on Vancouver island. Where are you sailing from?

When you're planning your trip feel free to pm me. I'm always happy to provide info and whatnot.

Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
Wow, thanks. We are in SoCal and I'm talking a year from now. I'll take the boat up starting in March or April - will take time with weather so I'll be in no hurry. Plan to leave the boat for a year so we can get two summers of exploring. We sold our previous sailboat to a couple who have a place on Salt Spring Island so we will use their mooring. I'll reach out when we are heading up, thanks.
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
BCtriguy1 wrote:
Bone Idol wrote:
BLeP wrote:

I live on an island off the coast of Vancouver. Most people who live here don't go in the ocean, because the ocean is god damned freezing. For the 3 or 4 weeks of heat wave we get a year some people may dip in, but for the most part it's a no go.

I was surprised to find out that the Pacific there is a balmy 54 F 365 days a year. I was there in summer and wanted to go diving and was surprised to hear that you have to wear a dry suit every day of the year. Plus dealing with tides. And I thought Great Lakes diving was challenging. The divers on Vancouver Island were shocked when I told them the St. Lawrence River warms up to 72 F in summer. But of course it can freeze over in winter.
Quote Reply
Re: Guy gets lost surfing [cerveloguy] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
cerveloguy wrote:
BCtriguy1 wrote:
Bone Idol wrote:
BLeP wrote:

I was surprised to find out that the Pacific there is a balmy 54 F 365 days a year. I was there in summer and wanted to go diving and was surprised to hear that you have to wear a dry suit every day of the year. Plus dealing with tides. And I thought Great Lakes diving was challenging. The divers on Vancouver Island were shocked when I told them the St. Lawrence River warms up to 72 F in summer. But of course it can freeze over in winter.

Yup. When I go to tofino in the fall I'm quite comfortable surfing in a wetsuit without gloves or a hood, but That's pretty much the least gear you can get away with.

Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
BCtriguy1 wrote:

Totally get that. I'm no fan of cold water. Your water temps during that heat wave are about 7°C below the sea temp here in the depths of winter.

I even find the water too cold in SoCal, famous for its "beach culture". Their summer water temperature peaks at about the same as our winter low. About 50 weeks of the year it's too cold for swimming.
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
Too much swimming talk. BleP can you post your "take it to the tri forum" picture please.

________
It doesn't really matter what Phil is saying, the music of his voice is the appropriate soundtrack for a bicycle race. HTupolev
Quote Reply
Re: Guy gets lost surfing [H-] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
H- wrote:
Too much swimming talk. BleP can you post your "take it to the tri forum" picture please.

To be fair, there's quite a lot of talk about not swimming.
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
Bone Idol wrote:
H- wrote:

Because you're all a bunch of pussies.

I did a thing once where you swim, then bike and then run (can't recall what it's called) and the water was 60 F. That was cold.

How does Danny Hart sit down with balls that big?
Last edited by: BLeP: May 3, 17 4:41
Quote Reply
Re: Guy gets lost surfing [BLeP] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
the first time I did that thing it was 65 degrees and I didn't have a wetsuit. BRrrrrrrrr

BLeP wrote:
Bone Idol wrote:
H- wrote:

Because you're all a bunch of pussies.

I did a thing once where you swim, then bike and then run (can't recall what it's called) and the water was 60 F. That was cold.

They constantly try to escape from the darkness outside and within
Dreaming of systems so perfect that no one will need to be good T.S. Eliot

Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
I dare say I may be the only surfer who was born in St. Louis, Missouri

Ron Albertson: We consider ourselves bi-coastal if you consider the Mississippi River one of the coasts.

"What's your claim?" - Ben Gravy
"Your best work is the work you're excited about" - Rick Rubin
Quote Reply

Prev Next