Login required to started new threads

Login required to post replies

Heartrate high
Quote | Reply
Its been 10 days since IMTX and my heart rate is still about 10bpm higher than it is historically at the same power effort on the bike. Also on the brick run afterward a fast paced 1st mile was much harder than normal. How long does it take your body to get back to normal after a race?
Quote Reply
Re: Heartrate high [ahuebel] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
For me 3 to 4 weeks. Patience....your body is repairing itself. Listen.
Quote Reply
Re: Heartrate high [ggeiger] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
ok thanks. Anything that might help speed it up? On the plus side I set a new threshold heart rate today!
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
The real question is why the hell are you training at threshold a week after an Ironman? Do you have a coach, are they telling you to do this stupid stuff? If so fire them, if not fire yourself. You should be doing workouts that you wouldn't even know if your HR is high or not a week after a hard ironman race. Or just doing nothing and enjoying all the things you give up to train so much to do such a race.

I had a friend who was a top AG'er, did low 10 hours at Hawaii at 63 years old. He loved to get right back at it after big races too, then he died on a bike ride one day training at threshold shortly after an ironman effort. He learned his lesson the hard way, maybe take the easy lesson here.
Quote Reply
Re: Heartrate high [monty] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
Dang, well firstly I didn't think it was that serious. Secondly I didn't plan to be at threshold heart rate as I have never been there at that effort before. I went back and looked at the data afterward. Thanks for the perspective.
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
If you have not been training this week, your blood volume is lower to......but........listen to Monty
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
You could try.... recovering from the race

Edit to answer your question: For me, 1 week of absolutely nothing, 2nd week easy swimming, low heart rate biking. 3rd week: introduce running again, still easy biking, masters swimming. 4th week: back to normal
Last edited by: randomtriguy: May 2, 17 11:50
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
Why are you back into training 10 days after an Ironman?

Don't do more than an hour of aerobic activity a day. Take it easy. Get rest. Gain some weight. From everything I've seen over the years, it'll take at best 6 weeks before your body will recover. A lot of it is CNS/neuro-muscular fatigue and you can't speed up the recovery on that, but you can slow it down.

Hope this helps.

Tim

http://www.magnoliamasters.com
http://www.snappingtortuga.com
http://www.swimeasyspeed.com
Quote Reply
Re: Heartrate high [SnappingT] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
I signed up for a sprint race that is this Saturday. I was just doing some prep for that. I don't have experience with this so I didnt realize exactly how I would respond. Hence the inquiry
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
There is nothing you can do now that will make you faster this Saturday, there is plenty you can do that will make you slower.
Quote Reply