Login required to started new threads

Login required to post replies

Joshua Tree Tour
Quote | Reply
Anybody been to this show? Are they only doing songs from this and earlier albums?

I'm considering overpaying for lady minute tickets. After years of not going to concerts (last show was Neil Young with Pearl Jam as the opening act in the early 90's), I've decided to start seeing the bands that I've always loved before they get old and die.
Quote Reply
Re: Joshua Tree Tour [MLCRISES] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
My understanding is that they're playing the complete Joshua Tree album, but I don't know if that also means that they're also playing songs from other albums as well.

What I can say is that U2 was one of the best concerts I've been to. I saw them on the Atomic Bomb tour, so a while ago, but of the several hundred concerts I've been to they were among the best. A big part of me regrets not picking up tickets to this tour, but I think I'll make up for it by going to see St. Paul & the Broken Bones at a fairly small venue instead & knock another "must see" off the list.

MLCRISES wrote:
Anybody been to this show? Are they only doing songs from this and earlier albums?

I'm considering overpaying for lady minute tickets. After years of not going to concerts (last show was Neil Young with Pearl Jam as the opening act in the early 90's), I've decided to start seeing the bands that I've always loved before they get old and die.
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
Did a time machine go off? Am I back in 1987? This makes me very sad.
Quote Reply
Re: Joshua Tree Tour [MidwestRoadie] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
They will [should] probably play a few up-tempo opening tunes like "I Will Follow" "Mysterious Ways" "Even Better Than the Real Thing" or "Beautiful Day" before jumping into Joshua Tree, then they can do the slower songs Like "Bad" "One" and "Stuck in a Moment" before ramping up again and closing out with the punchier "Elevation" and "Vertigo"

If they do their set-list chronologically [like The Who/The Two have been lately], the second half of the show is gonna suck

Some time ago - nevermind how long exactly - I heard "An Cath Dubh / Into the Heart" from Boy on the radio in the car

My God! I forgot how trippy they used to be ... that's some Pink Floyd level shit goin' on there!!! No wonder Brian Eno wanted to work with them

"What's your claim?" - Ben Gravy
"Your best work is the work you're excited about" - Rick Rubin
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
I've got 10 tix to the Sunday Rosebowl show.. Pretty darn excited. Wife went to the same show at the rose bowl all those years ago. Everything else is going to be a nightmare, traffic parking etc.. Oh well
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
The first show isn't until May 12th- so no one knows the set list

http://www.rollingstone.com/...ua-tree-tour-w459473
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
I give them major props for keeping ticket prices reasonable. I see $70 in Louisville.

I was interested in seeing Tom Petty a week back but tickets were $400 in Atlanta and $600 in Nashville.

________
It doesn't really matter what Phil is saying, the music of his voice is the appropriate soundtrack for a bicycle race. HTupolev
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
I saw the original back in 1987, one of my first dates with my wife where we had just met a few weeks earlier. One of the best shows I've ever seen. Bono was banged up where he had fallen from the stage during the previous show in DC and had his arm in a sling but still worked the stage with a ton of energy. They closed with "40", it was pretty cool with 60,000 of us still singing "Howwww loooooooong to sing this soooonnnng!!!!!" for a good 10 minutes while streaming out of the stadium and into the parking lots.

"You can never win or lose if you don't run the race." - Richard Butler

Quote Reply
Re: Joshua Tree Tour [Brian in MA] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
Brian in MA wrote:
I saw the original back in 1987, one of my first dates with my wife where we had just met a few weeks earlier. One of the best shows I've ever seen. Bono was banged up where he had fallen from the stage during the previous show in DC and had his arm in a sling but still worked the stage with a ton of energy. They closed with "40", it was pretty cool with 60,000 of us still singing "Howwww loooooooong to sing this soooonnnng!!!!!" for a good 10 minutes while streaming out of the stadium and into the parking lots.

That sing along gives me chills
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
MLCRISES wrote:
Brian in MA wrote:

"Bad" does that for me

Only saw them once; the Amnesty International "Conspiracy of Hope" show at Giants Stadium

Same deal as Live Aid = got an access pass because my girlfriend worked for Electric Factory; except this time I was able to actually see the show and not have to serve food

Last edited by: RandMart: May 2, 17 10:11
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
There must be something about 40 as a song title. It's an incredible live U2 song. It's also an incredible live DMB song. They played a ~35 minute version in Cincinnati in November, 1998 with the Flecktones guesting, a beautiful, spontaneous jam. Like U2, I think their last couple of albums have been lackluster but it seems that the live magic still remains.

MLCRISES wrote:
Brian in MA wrote:

Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
After reading your post I thought about it until I looked up tickets. Sold out in Phili, nose bleeds going for 200, lower level 500-1000 a ticket.

"I think I've cracked the code. double letters are cheaters except for perfect squares (a, d, i, p and y). So Leddy isn't a cheater... "
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
Saw them on the original Joshua Tree tour (Cardiff Arms Park, 1987) and three times in Philly (Elevation, Vertigo and 360 tours), but for this tour, after trying in two presales and getting redirected by Ticketmaster to buy overpriced secondary-market tickets on StubHub I said fuck it. I don't need to see them again that badly.

The most memorable part of the 1987 Cardiff Arms Park show for me... The Edge doing an absolutely shite job of kicking a rugby ball into the crowd:

Quote Reply
Re: Joshua Tree Tour [WelshinPhilly] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
If you're still interested in going and have the time to go early and plenty of patience, you should be able to get a ticket on the day of the show at the box office. I've went to a lot of concerts that were sold out and picked up a ticket day of the show. Typically the band/crew, venue, radio stations, etc. have a certain number of tickets that are held back to use or give away; the tickets that aren't used or given away are put back in the pool to sell. By being polite to the staff, hanging out at the box office window, and checking in periodically I've picked up day of tickets to every single show I've attempted it at (5-10) and some solid tickets (including front row before). It does take some patience, though.

WelshinPhilly wrote:
Saw them on the original Joshua Tree tour (Cardiff Arms Park, 1987) and three times in Philly (Elevation, Vertigo and 360 tours), but for this tour, after trying in two presales and getting redirected by Ticketmaster to buy overpriced secondary-market tickets on StubHub I said fuck it. I don't need to see them again that badly.

The most memorable part of the 1987 Cardiff Arms Park show for me... The Edge doing an absolutely shite job of kicking a rugby ball into the crowd:

Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
Quote:
I think I'll make up for it by going to see St. Paul & the Broken Bones at a fairly small venue instead & knock another "must see" off the list.

I discovered them about a month or so ago on Google Music, in a playlist built on Nathaniel Rateliff & The Night Sweats' Howling At Nothing.

Dixie Rothko has been stuck in my head ever since.

The devil made me do it the first time, second time I done it on my own - W
Last edited by: sphere: May 2, 17 12:24
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
Way back in the day [we're talking High School] my mom fixed me up with a friend's daughter; a cute girl who worked in a record store in the Mall [anyone remember "Listening Booth?"] Anyway, we hit it off and when my birthday came around, she wanted to buy me a record from this band I'd told her about.

"I looked and looked," she told me, "I even tried to order it, but my distributor has never heard of 'You Too'"

To quote Prince: "She wasn't too bright, But I could tell when she kissed me, She knew how to get her kicks"

Quote Reply
Re: Joshua Tree Tour [RandMart] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
RandMart wrote:
No wonder Brian Eno wanted to work with them

Quote Reply
Re: Joshua Tree Tour [sphere] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
Man, Nathaniel Rateliff is incredible also.

St Paul & the Broken Bones was playing a small club with maybe ~100ish people earlier on in their career a couple of years ago. It was near my sister's house and I'm kicking myself for not going.

sphere wrote:
Quote:
I think I'll make up for it by going to see St. Paul & the Broken Bones at a fairly small venue instead & knock another "must see" off the list.

I discovered them about a month or so ago on Google Music, in a playlist built on Nathaniel Rateliff & The Night Sweats' Howling At Nothing.

Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
MidwestRoadie wrote:
Man, Nathaniel Rateliff is incredible also.

St Paul & the Broken Bones was playing a small club with maybe ~100ish people earlier on in their career a couple of years ago. It was near my sister's house and I'm kicking myself for not going.

sphere wrote:
Quote:

Love St P & BB. they are a reincarnated version of the Comitments. Bet that would be a fun show
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
Yeah, I've seen ST & BB a couple of times. Great band and show.. (Makes me think of that silly "is there any good rock" thread a while back.)

I recently re-watched the Commitments. Then by chance I had bought some audio gear from a retired Irish audio engineer who was visiting his son here in Alabama. The guy knew everyone from Ireland in the music scene, including the kid who played the lead singer, who was only like 17 at the time (which I found incredible).

Also incredible, and I had to watch the movie again, was that Glen Hansard played/was the guitarist. I saw this in the credits but did not recognize him, despite owning and loving Once dvd and several Frames/Hansard cds.

________
It doesn't really matter what Phil is saying, the music of his voice is the appropriate soundtrack for a bicycle race. HTupolev
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
If anyone is in Southern California and wants to tour Joshua Tree, let me know. There were a few years where I pretty much spent nearly every winter weekend out there.

Oh, this is U2? Then fuck off.
Quote Reply
Re: Joshua Tree Tour [AlanShearer] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
LOL

Forget speedwork. Speedwork is the icing on the cake and you don't have a cake yet. - MattinSF

Basically they have 9 tenants, live life to the fullest, do not turn the cheak, and embrace the 7 deadly since. - TheForge (on satanists)
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
Brian in MA wrote:

Also saw the original in Los Angeles, have to say I'm a bit pissed to learn that 30 fucking years has passed.... That was when they'd come on when the house lights were still on, and start playing. And yeah, 40 at the end.

Have a friend selling a Rose Bowl seat (no idea if venue tix are still available) for face value, and have been doing a lot more concerts the last several years, but honestly just can't get excited about going to see this one
Quote Reply