Login required to started new threads

Login required to post replies

I lost my taste for alcohol.
Quote | Reply
As a 44 year old I am starting to really noticed all the changes age brings. I no longer seek out new music. I take great joy in knowing my generation was way more rebellious and edgy than the new generations of post ironic bores. I like being generally grumpy. The biggest surprise though is that I have just flat out stopped drinking.

I used to love whiskey and worshipped beer but man I just don't drink. Beer still tastes great but half a pint and I am beyond done and don't get the hankering for brew for a couple of weeks. Distilled liquor just taste like nail polish remover. I do know how nail polish remover tastes. I was dumber in my youth.

So I count this as a win but I do miss single malt.
Quote Reply
Re: I lost my taste for alcohol. [Tibbsy] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
are you sure you’re not dead?

sometimes
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
What is your secret? I like it way too much.
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
You have just a few years on me, but I've also settled into life and a little more maturity (well, at least in my eyes...don't ask my wife). New music probably won't ever be something I stop seeking out, but a lot of other things just don't matter so much to me now. An overly competitive drive -- gone. Much of what used to piss me off -- doesn't matter these days. Tranquility, rest, doing what I want instead of what I think I "should" do or what others want me to has taken priority, so I'm saying no to a lot more these days and focusing in on a few things that really matter to me. It's helped reduce emotional decisions and has been by far the best way of managing lifelong depression. And I'm far better for it & at much greater peace.

And I must be old because I also can hardly drink these days. A couple of gin & tonics last week had me falling asleep. Maybe it's the kids instead of the alcohol. Age doesn't give me the energy to keep up with them the same way these days, so after playing with them for a while, settling down with a drink after they're in bed might just be what's putting me under so fast!

Let's raise a glass of prune juice to aging!

Tibbsy wrote:
As a 44 year old I am starting to really noticed all the changes age brings. I no longer seek out new music. I take great joy in knowing my generation was way more rebellious and edgy than the new generations of post ironic bores. I like being generally grumpy. The biggest surprise though is that I have just flat out stopped drinking.

I used to love whiskey and worshipped beer but man I just don't drink. Beer still tastes great but half a pint and I am beyond done and don't get the hankering for brew for a couple of weeks. Distilled liquor just taste like nail polish remover. I do know how nail polish remover tastes. I was dumber in my youth.

So I count this as a win but I do miss single malt.
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
I hear there's some really good brownies available in Denver...
Quote Reply
Re: I lost my taste for alcohol. [MidwestRoadie] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
"Much of what used to piss me off -- doesn't matter these days. " That was me and music. I used to be a vocal asshole about whatever went against my musical taste. Yesterday my girlfriend's daughter was visiting and kept playing Justin Bieber's latest nightmare. All autotune and talking about all the haters. I just laughed to myself about how bad it was and moved on. 5 years ago I would have ruined everything by giving my unwanted opinion until no one would talk to me. I still piss them off though with jibes about how Lady Gaga is Madonna but that is for fun.

To us! The guiding light for future generations.

Quote Reply
Re: I lost my taste for alcohol. [racin_rusty] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
"I hear there's some really good brownies available in Denver... "

I still love that and miss it dearly.
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply

Quote Reply
Re: I lost my taste for alcohol. [Perseus] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
Fair point
Quote Reply
Re: I lost my taste for alcohol. [Perseus] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
Maybe I was born at 70 years of age.

Perseus wrote:
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply

Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
For me anyway, alcohol was an acquired taste. I can remember not liking alcohol and just drinking it to be social in and to get drunk. After a while it wasn't so bad then over time I learned to like it. I'm a decade+ older than you and I don't drink as much as I used to but I never lost my taste for booze. I could imagine if I didn't drink at all that I might eventually loose my taste for it.

I have really wide musical tastes. I listen to pretty much everything except disco, techno, rap, and country. There is a lot of good new music though I'm certainly not keeping up with a lot of it. I've been listening to a lot of metal lately.

While my generation (baby boomers) were rebels that was a long time ago. The hippies and freaks of the 1960's became the Reagan Democrats of the 80's then neo-cons in the 90's then tea party patriots in the 10's. A lot of what passes for growing up is just selling out.

There is a group called "The Greatest Generation" for good reasons. They survived the depression then defeated Fascism and Nazism in WWII and by the 1950's built America into the greatest engine of prosperity the world had ever seen. Then there was my generation, the baby boomers. We were handed everything on a silver platter and we screwed it all up. Heavy sigh.
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
Shit...I've just been drinking to get the feel goods! I am actually supposed to like the way it tastes?
Quote Reply