Login required to started new threads

Login required to post replies

McMillan vs Hanson marathon plans
Quote | Reply
I've decided to stick with marathons until I achieve a certain goal. Was trying to decide between using a McMillan or Hanson plan to achieve my goal. For those that have used the plans, what was your experience?
Thanks
Last edited by: kitch: Apr 30, 17 12:41
Quote Reply
Re: McMillan vs Hanson marathon plans [kitch] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
Both work if you do. I used Hanson to get to Boston a few years ago. It makes a lot of sense, but it's a bit intense.
People think the long run of 10-16 miles is "too short" but that's sure not the case with the required 8-10 the day before & 8-10 the day after!
And speed or "strength" session the day after that!
Lots of "accumulated" fatigue, but I can see it's efficacy.
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
Agree that Hansons is intense. I used it for Boston last year and went with one of their higher mileage plans (70-80 mpw) and was getting stronger each week......until I broke. The last 20 miler with 10 at race pace in the middle over hilly terrain destroyed me. But on the bright side I found my limit and going forward will stick with 60-70 mpw. After Quassy 70.3 I am re-dedicating back strictly to running and will be using a NAZ Elite plan similar to Hansons. It's just slightly different on the tempo/speed/long days but other than that it has the same amount of easy mileage and lack of rest days that Hansons has
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
Consider reaching out to Sage Canaday since he's pretty responsive. He ran for Hansons and wrote a book on the experience. At this point in his career, he is a pretty clear Lydiard advocate and coaches runners. He's written a new book more recently.

(side note: he worked at a running store I managed when he was at Cornell - and he almost took my Renato Canova marathon book with him when he headed off to Hansons, but I tracked him down and got my book!)

wovebike.com | Wove on instagram
Last edited by: milesthedog: May 2, 17 6:23
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
I've had solid success with the Hanson plan. My biggest struggle is finding the time to do the Speed work on Tuesday and the pace run on Thursday. With the warm up and cool down you hit 16 miles on a Thursday, so that created some challenges. And when I say challenges, I mean I never hit the prescribed mileage.
Quote Reply
Re: McMillan vs Hanson marathon plans [TBinMT] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
Thanks for the reply. Seems a lot of people have had success using Hanson plan. I just worry about the intensity especially at 48.
Quote Reply
Re: McMillan vs Hanson marathon plans [Quincyceltic] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
What do you mean "until I broke"? Did you get injured or more of a mental breakdown?
Quote Reply
Re: McMillan vs Hanson marathon plans [milesthedog] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
McMillan seems to fall more in line with Lydiards approach to training ( base, strength, speed, race specificity.
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
Personally, I always go with Advanced Marathoning by Pfitzinger and Douglas. It has several levels to pick from 55 mpw, 70 mpw and 90.
good luck
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
kitch wrote:
Thanks for the reply. Seems a lot of people have had success using Hanson plan. I just worry about the intensity especially at 48.

FWIW I've used Hanson's plan in 2015 at 52yo to prepare for Roma Marathon and I liked very much the progression and consistency of the plan, I did 3h10' and qualified to Boston, later that year ran Buenos Aires Marathon (an easier course than Roma) in 3h7' using a variation of this plan.

Ale Martinez
www.amtriathlon.com
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
My last big race pace run, 20 miler with middle 10 at race pace, I choose to do on very hilly terrain and was too stubborn to let that dictate the pace a bit more. I fought like hell to hit my marks and I did but I think it just beat me up to the point where I didn't get the snap back in my legs in time. My wife also had our second child 8 days before Boston so I'm not too quick to blame the mileage vs a lack of sleep and poor overall taper with what I had going on at the time. Again I would certainly recommend Hansons but know your limits and if you aren't running 50-60 MPW consistently than choose a plan that is more in line with your starting fitness, unlike me who went from 40-50 to 60-75 over just 8 weeks.
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
I might add Run Faster by Brad Hudson. Then I would recommend that you go with your strength. You have some experience. Use it to pick what has worked in the past. I wouldn't try to work on a weakness. Save that for another training cycle.
Quote Reply