Login required to started new threads

Login required to post replies

Silly brake questions
Quote | Reply
This may be a really stupid question.But is there any reason that I cannot use Shimano brake calipers with sram or some other companies TT brake levers. Talking specifically about a mechanical setup not di2 or etap.
Quote Reply
Re: Silly brake questions [Fishbum] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
No.
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
Fishbum wrote:
This may be a really stupid question.But is there any reason that I cannot use Shimano brake calipers with sram or some other companies TT brake levers. Talking specifically about a mechanical setup not di2 or etap.

All mechanical brake caliper brands will work with all other mechanical brale levers

res, non verba
Quote Reply
Re: Silly brake questions [RoYe] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
Are you 100% sure ?

I don't know for sure for road, but in (cable operated) MTB world I can guarantee that pull ratio varied depending on brake design ...

WD :-)
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
For mec. road brakes the ratios between the companies are not 100% the same, if the combination works fine has several conditions and many of them are mentioned there for example .. http://weightweenies.starbike.com/...amp;p=474957#p474957. For TT brakes the conditions are the same ..

___/\___/\___/\___
the s u r f b o a r d of the K u r p f a l z is the r o a d b i k e .. oSo >>
Last edited by: sausskross: May 1, 17 1:37
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
Shimano changed the pull ratios of their levers and brakes with the current generation stuff. So, if you mix current Shimano calibers with other brake levers, you will get poor performance. However, if you go back to prior gen Shimano calipers (those that were matched with 10-speed), then you will be fine.
Quote Reply
Re: Silly brake questions [exxxviii] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
That Shimano compatibility chart made me laugh .. http://productinfo.shimano.com/...=C-456&cid=C-453 .. (select Brake systems compatibility [ROAD]) .. and reminds me of the origami packaging they love to do so accurate ..

___/\___/\___/\___
the s u r f b o a r d of the K u r p f a l z is the r o a d b i k e .. oSo >>
Last edited by: sausskross: May 1, 17 6:18
Quote Reply
Re: Silly brake questions [sausskross] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
Haha, yeah, I saw that too. It is one of the epically worst graphics ever.

I was initially going to mix Shimano 6800 STI levers with SRAM Red calipers on my road bike. But, then I started seeing all the noise about Shimano's pull ratio and reach changes and braking performance risk. So, I just aborted and got Shimano everything for the brakes.
Quote Reply
Re: Silly brake questions [exxxviii] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
I use Dura-Ace (9000) calipers with SRAM eTap levers and the brakes work fine. I don't notice any difference from when I was use Dura-Ace STI levers.
Quote Reply