Login required to started new threads

Login required to post replies

Prev Next
Re: Number of pros doping in Pro triathlon [MGTurvey] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
MGTurvey wrote:
Maybe side stepping the original question here, but would any of you use PEDs if you had the chance?
Im not talking making a career change where you depend on performance, and drugs, for income but as a regular age group athlete, would you use performance enhancing drugs if you knew beyond a shadow of a doubt that you would not get caught and there would be no adverse side effects to your body? Simply as a means to see what your body was capable of with science.
Ive always been curious, what it would do to my performance and recovery and how fast could I actually go? I'd be honest with people and disclose my "training plan" if they asked becauseI wouldn't want to hide anything.
Maybe if someone did a study to find actual performance gains I would volunteer for it, so it could be completely transparent.
Hope this isnt crossing a forbidden line, its always interested me and thought I would ask...
And for the record, I have never taken any performance enhancing drugs.

-MT

There's an author who did exactly this, and wrote all about it for Outside magazine quite a few years back.
His results were remarkable. Which should be no surprise - that stuff works.

float , hammer , and jog

Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
MGTurvey wrote:
Maybe side stepping the original question here, but would any of you use PEDs if you had the chance?
Im not talking making a career change where you depend on performance, and drugs, for income but as a regular age group athlete, would you use performance enhancing drugs if you knew beyond a shadow of a doubt that you would not get caught and there would be no adverse side effects to your body? Simply as a means to see what your body was capable of with science.
Ive always been curious, what it would do to my performance and recovery and how fast could I actually go? I'd be honest with people and disclose my "training plan" if they asked becauseI wouldn't want to hide anything.
Maybe if someone did a study to find actual performance gains I would volunteer for it, so it could be completely transparent.
Hope this isnt crossing a forbidden line, its always interested me and thought I would ask...

-MT

Nope.

I like knowing that my performances (or lack thereof) are "all me". I don't really get hung up on beating other people. I mean it's nice to finish ahead, but that's not my primary goal.

Swimming Workout of the Day:

Favourite Swim Sets:

2020 National Masters Champion - M50-54 - 50m Butterfly
Quote Reply
Re: Number of pros doping in Pro triathlon [Cody Beals] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
I am with Cody on this one....plus a few more adds.

- For the most part I believe that right now, long course triathlon is relatively clean. I cannot speak for the sport before I started racing Pro in 2006.

- You DO have to believe that everyone you are racing against is clean.

- I support rules and rule changes that I believe to help maintain integrity in our sport. After that I don't have the time to sit around wondering who is on what. Hopefully the system catches those who cut corners. Karma is a bitch and those who cheat their way up have some serious internal demons they are battling.

- Most doping occurs in the AG ranks...either out of ignorance or because those athletes believe it's not that big of a deal or that they will never be tested.

+++

Our sport won't change drastically in terms of testing in the near term future because it's just not worth it to those who are in control. It's too cost prohibitive. Perhaps when this sport makes it's way into all the colleges and high schools it will become more mainstream and the testing will follow. For right now, those who are tested probably believe that there is enough testing and those who are not probably believe there needs to be more.

Professional Triathlete
Owner of Blake Becker Multisport Coaching LLC / Team BBMC
blakebeck@gmail.com
http://www.teambbmc.com
Last edited by: Blakebecker: May 2, 17 8:50
Quote Reply
Re: Number of pros doping in Pro triathlon [JasoninHalifax] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
JasoninHalifax wrote:
MGTurvey wrote:

-MT

Nope.

I like knowing that my performances (or lack thereof) are "all me". I don't really get hung up on beating other people. I mean it's nice to finish ahead, but that's not my primary goal.

x2 on the above. The whole point of this for me is to see what my body is capable of. Doping would be like going out to do a 40k TT and have it net downhill, or with a net tailwind...it's pointless and you can't use the data point. Heck, it annoyed me that there was more traffic on my way home from my ride this morning giving me a sling shot I didn't get on the way out which threw off my speed:watts ratio. Regardless of the ethics, physical side effect risks, etc, to me jacking up the data would be the worst part, and the biggest turn off.

Also, if the big pull of doping is that it aids in recovery and an athlete can therefore push harder, more often; I'd argue that 95% of age groupers don't come near their max levels of fatigue and recovery, and even when they do (or overdo) it's not consistent. That's why the top 5% is the top 5%. All it takes is a Strava account to see that. Speaking of which, seeing a couple of peers go from where I am (<top 5%) to the "next level" of KQ, it's just work, and it's right there. So I guess I'm not seeing the need or the prevalence of doping in the AG ranks.

If people are doping in the AG ranks...whatever. I see the spread of athletes as it stands now, and I see a clear path from where I am to where I want to be without cheating, so what do I care if some of the people in that spread are dumb enough to dope.
Quote Reply
Re: Number of pros doping in Pro triathlon [James Haycraft] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
James Haycraft wrote:
mungub50 wrote:
Another red flag for me is the amount of camps that people are doing in places that are known for little testing and high amounts of doping. I mean, come on. Are these camps in far away places really that necessary? Seems like more and more triathletes are training in popular tour training locations.

Yes. Another red flag is all the non USA athletes that reside in places like Boulder. I wonder how often their respective national anti-doping programs send officials to test them or party-up with USADA to test them.

Boulder is very accessible to testers. With all of the pro cyclists and runners who live there, you can bet USADA and WADA are lurking around there. I am more skeptical about the training camps in places like Tenerife(spelling) and S. Africa and Mexico.
Quote Reply
Re: Number of pros doping in Pro triathlon [chrisb12] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
Those lists are screwed!

Helen Jenkins Gwen Jorgenson and Nicola Spirig are all on there all pregnant and not racing.

Just going to pick 2 women I can name off top of my head Ashleigh Gentle just came 2nd and selected 1 year out for commonwealth games and Vicky Holland not on list ?

How do those lists work?
Quote Reply
Re: Number of pros doping in Pro triathlon [Fishbum] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
Doping works.
It works in the 80-90-00-10 and now.

It has always been easy to get in most countries.
Doping like steroids and testosterone have been easily available since the 80s.
Epo start being available at the end of the 80s, got well known in the early 90s up to testing started (2002).
Since early 70s classic blood doping has been going on. If I am not totally wrong, it was not illegal before 1984/85.

Testing has been driven by national associations (if any).
Ironman did no testing.
Chances for get caught was small.

Triathletes were in the same circles as cyclists.

Just some points.
Quote Reply
Re: Number of pros doping in Pro triathlon [Murphy'sLaw] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
Murphy'sLaw wrote:
MGTurvey wrote:

-MT

There's an author who did exactly this, and wrote all about it for Outside magazine quite a few years back.
His results were remarkable. Which should be no surprise - that stuff w

Back when I was in high school my whole football team was taking Andro nor 19. I think that's what it was called at least essentially it was the stuff that Mark McGwire was taking while it was legal then later deemed a steroid. Outside of that I have never taking anything as an adult but if my livelihood and career depended on it I gotta be honest I would probably do it if I thought I could get away with it. But as an age grouper who just enjoys competing it's not worth the health risks to me
Quote Reply
Re: Number of pros doping in Pro triathlon [Stumps] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
Stumps wrote:
Those lists are screwed!

Helen Jenkins Gwen Jorgenson and Nicola Spirig are all on there all pregnant and not racing.

Just going to pick 2 women I can name off top of my head Ashleigh Gentle just came 2nd and selected 1 year out for commonwealth games and Vicky Holland not on list ?

How do those lists work?

I thought the same thing, when they only have testing for 30 females when each wts race can have 65 athletes, why have pregnant women who wont be racing this season on their list? The new lists were put up end of March it says, so that was before Gentle qualified for comm games. Not sure if she was on the earlier quarter, if they mix it up a bit or not. Gentle would however already be on the ASADA out of comp testing pool I would assume, others up around her level are. Likewise, Vicky would surely be on UKADA testing pool.
Quote Reply
Re: Number of pros doping in Pro triathlon [Impulse-Warp] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
Impulse-Warp wrote:
Mike Alexander wrote:
Impulse-Warp wrote:

Pros who have an Instagram full wacky things they do the day after races "nice cool down ride here in xxxx, always wanted to see the hills of xxxx". Again here you find yourself suspicious of some innocent tourism but also its a great possible cover for recovery doping.

I don't understand this...can you explain. Their recovery ride is suspicious? Is this because they should be so baked from the race the day before, that they would need rested recovery instead of spinning the legs out??

What strikes me as suspicious is the going missing for a day or two post event. The first time I thought about it was an ITU athlete doing the Cape Town event and then the next day having pictures of cycling up to table mountain. In no way was it an 'easy spin'.

Worst theory: They use some odd tourism as a great chance to be off the grid and untestable to dope while aiding recovery. 2 days of touring plus two days travelling back home and mysteriously they are super fresh in no time for their next block.
Best theory: It just regular people wanting to see the grand canyon/myan ruins/ the outback on horseback etc. becasue they happen to be in the right part of the world.

As I said above. It says more about my cynicism than any actual proof anyone is up to anything.

If they are on an out of comp testing programme they would have had to been available that day for one hour which they would have previously put in their whereabouts, otherwise they could have an infringement. There are 17 hours in the day that they can choose 1 of for testing, this could leave plenty of time for a ride and site seeing. If the athlete you were referring to is not on the ITU testing programme and also not from a country which has out of comp testing that is another story.
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
This article is from 2003, but it's exactly what you are discussing. An amateur athlete taking a full menu of PEDs, basically becomes superhuman. He went to an anti aging doctor that treats a lot of athletes and rich guys over 50.

https://www.outsideonline.com/1924306/drug-test
Quote Reply

Prev Next