Login required to started new threads

Login required to post replies

Things you never knew - NFL Draft
Quote | Reply
Quote from linked article:

"Thanks to "loss of value insurance" for his injury, Butt will be awarded $543,000 for slipping all the way to the fifth round, according to ESPN's Darren Rovell. Had he not torn his ACL, Butt may have been selected as early as the second round."

http://www.msn.com/...r-BBAwSkJ?li=BBnb7Kz

Seems like he has a good head on his shoulders for listening to advice. Doesn't seem like something a 21-22 year old football player thinks about, at what point can they engage with an agent and get this kind of advice? How much does this cost and who else profits? He's already covered his first year salary.
Quote Reply
Re: Things you never knew - NFL Draft [Runski] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
I guess it's the end of the bowl era as we knew it too, which isn't a bad thing.

"The great pleasure in life is doing what people say you cannot do."
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
Man. Talk about Butthurt ...

If there are no dogs in Heaven, then when I die I want to go where they went. - Will Rogers

Emery's Third Coast Triathlon | Tri Wisconsin Triathlon Team | Push Endurance | GLWR
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
I heard the policy cost $25k and the half million number is either after taxes or tax free. One article said the even with the insurance money the injury in the bowl game cost him $2.8m.

Unless your team is in the playoff I imagine more top athletes will start passing on meaningless bowl games.
Quote Reply
Re: Things you never knew - NFL Draft [Perseus] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
And it wouldn't surprise me to see some skip parts of the last season and I am sure someone will skip a full season at some point.

I'm beginning to think that we are much more fucked than I thought.
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
I did not read the article, but these types of policies are not new.
When I played 1990 Senior Season, there were policies available. I considered it for about a second
as I thought I was good enough, because the coaching staff mentioned it to me.
Reality though I was not a "FOR SURE" high pick, ended up being picked as a free agent
during the time of a 12 round draft. So I really did not need it.
But this is nothing new for the "For Sure" guys.

2017 Cervelo P2
2017 Cervelo S2
itraininla.com
#itraininla
Quote Reply
Re: Things you never knew - NFL Draft [gymrat] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
I've heard that the school can also be the one paying for the policy.
Quote Reply
Re: Things you never knew - NFL Draft [j p o] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
j p o wrote:
And it wouldn't surprise me to see some skip parts of the last season and I am sure someone will skip a full season at some point.

Jadeveon Clowney came close his final year. He sat out several games.

For some reason, I thought there was a RB who did something similar.

If there are no dogs in Heaven, then when I die I want to go where they went. - Will Rogers

Emery's Third Coast Triathlon | Tri Wisconsin Triathlon Team | Push Endurance | GLWR
Quote Reply
Re: Things you never knew - NFL Draft [j p o] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
I think it was they guy that went 8th overall in the draft. He skipped his bowl game and refused to do private workouts for teams.

His answer was simply "watch the games".

If you are talented enough you can do these things.

How does Danny Hart sit down with balls that big?
Quote Reply
Re: Things you never knew - NFL Draft [JSA] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
JSA wrote:
j p o wrote:

Marcus Lattimore, South Carolina, got injured his junior year, declared for the draft, and got picked in the 4th round by SF. Got a 4 year contract worth over 2 million and he never played a pro game.
Quote Reply
Re: Things you never knew - NFL Draft [ubdawg] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
ubdawg wrote:
JSA wrote:
j p o wrote:

Marcus Lattimore, South Carolina, got injured his junior year, declared for the draft, and got picked in the 4th round by SF. Got a 4 year contract worth over 2 million and he never played a pro game.

That was a horrible injury to watch on TV

All I Wanted Was A Pepsi, Just One Pepsi

Team Zoot, Team Zoot Mid-Atlantic

Quote Reply
Re: Things you never knew - NFL Draft [JSA] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
JSA wrote:
j p o wrote:

Clowney was my first thought also. It was widely believed he was healthy enough to play but didn't want to. It lead a lot of people to question if he likes playing or not, but he was drafted #1 overall so it worked out.
Quote Reply
Re: Things you never knew - NFL Draft [BLeP] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
BLeP wrote:
I think it was they guy that went 8th overall in the draft. He skipped his bowl game and refused to do private workouts for teams.

His answer was simply "watch the games".

If you are talented enough you can do these things.

That was Christian McCaffrey. When you're a two time Heisman trophy finalist I don't think teams are going to learn anything new by putting you through a private workout.
Quote Reply