Login required to started new threads

Login required to post replies

Long runs in minimalist shoes—anyone doing it?
Quote | Reply
I can't do the whole "maximalist" Hoka thing, but does anyone run exclusively in minimalist Skora, Merrell, etc.? I have a pair of skoras that I use for easy runs under 5 miles, but I've kind of been wanting to extend the distance. Plus, I don't seem to get weird aches and pains from them as compared to when my other shoes (brooks and saucony) wear out. I burn through shoes like crazy because I run on the outside of my feet and wonder if putting more miles on a shoe like the Skora will help me pronate a little more.

@floathammerholdon | @partners_in_tri
Quote Reply
Re: Long runs in minimalist shoes—anyone doing it? [cloy26] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
I do all my running in racing flats. Generally 40-70 mph, obviously includes long runs when I'm training for long course tri or a marathon. Never wore Skora or Merrells. I'm generally in Adidas, Nike or Asics.
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
I run all distances in Merrell Bare Access 2s for about a year. So far so good
Quote Reply
Re: Long runs in minimalist shoes—anyone doing it? [denali2001] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
denali2001 wrote:
I do all my running in racing flats. Generally 40-70 mph, obviously includes long runs when I'm training for long course tri or a marathon. Never wore Skora or Merrells. I'm generally in Adidas, Nike or Asics.

Damn. I guess my shoes are slowing me down.

just your average age grouper . no one special . no scientific knowledge . just having fun.
Quote Reply
Re: Long runs in minimalist shoes—anyone doing it? [way2sloow] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
i wish! damn ipad auto-correct!

just another thought, though, if you plan to race in "minimalist" shoes, however, you define it, you better be doing at least some of your long runs in them. not necessarily every long-run, but you should be running in them regularly. so many people train in "trainers" and then show up on race day in flats and don't understand why their quads lock up halfway through...
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
All of my runs, training and races, are in Merrell Bare Access 4s.
I've done both 70.3 and full IM distance in them without any problems.
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
I can't do the whole "maximalist" Hoka thing,

-------

particular reason why not? Or just don't want to?

Brooks Doughtie, M.S.
Exercise Physiology
-USAT Level II
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
I do it. Merrell Bare Access, different versions. I did my only marathon in them.
Quote Reply
Re: Long runs in minimalist shoes—anyone doing it? [B_Doughtie] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
I have tried them on two separate occasions. I hated the feeling, they hurt the bottom of my feet, and contrary to popular belief, I would end up more injured than I would running in a regular shoe.

@floathammerholdon | @partners_in_tri
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
Hoka Tracer. Not very maximalist. I used them in races.
Quote Reply
Re: Long runs in minimalist shoes—anyone doing it? [RallySavage] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
I race all distances, sprint through IM in Saucony A types (formerly A6's). Insanely light, comfy, drain holes, real rubber outsole,and still some descent padding. Most of the weight saving is in the upper and smaller outsole/midsole size.

Running in them vs. even a mid weight 8oz trainer is about a 10"/mile improvement. I also theorize that because my cadence is higher and better mechanics, that late in the race the improvement is even greater.

They do run a little small, especially with swollen feet late in a 70.3 or IM. Lost a couple toe nails after Kona in 2015 because of it. But never noticed feeling beat up or anything because of the minimal cushion.

It's a 4mm offset, so still spares my achillies from too much stress.

TrainingBible Coaching
http://www.trainingbible.com
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
Not quite the same concept as your shoes, but I run most of my miles in Lunaracers 3s these days. Technically a racing flat, but not low drop.

My motto these days with shoes is to do what works for YOU, even if it isn't conventional or what the local running store advised you to use. My local store put me in heavy stability shoes because I have lower arches, but they gave me knee pain and ankle problems. So I tried new things until something clicked.

"Don't you have to go be stupid somewhere else?"..."Not until 4!"
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
I have a pair of Nike Zoom Streaks and they are so nice to run in, I've been tempted to do a long run with them but don't want to wreck myself.
Quote Reply
Re: Long runs in minimalist shoes—anyone doing it? [motoguy128] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
motoguy128 wrote:
I race all distances, sprint through IM in Saucony A types (formerly A6's).

Slight thread-jack here - Have you run in the previous versions - Type A4 and A5? The shoe changed too much when they went to A6 - it got more substantial in the padding and became "less minimal". To me it was too much of a traditional lightweight shoe vs when the A5 was. I still have several pairs of new A5s but I know eventually I'll have to find something else.
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
I used to do all my running in a Saucony A4 then moved to NB RC1400, at that time I was running 70-100 mpw on 7-9 runs. Sure you can do it, I don't think I'd recommend it if you are predominately running on pavement but if you are getting a majority of your miles on a softer surface you'll probably be better off.
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
Been running in minimalist shoes exclusively since 2005 after a long battle with overuse injuries. Peak weeks are 60+, but most are 20-40 mpw. Most is run between 7:00-7:50 mpm on pavement. I feel awesome so long as I don't have an extended break, otherwise My feet have to strengthen up for a bit. Current favorite is the now discontinued merrell road glove. I have several boxes left, and am dreading finding a replacement. Starting before the minimalist movement got going, it was awesome how easy it became to find great shoes. Bummed how difficult it is to find a zero drop shoe I like. The merrell's are perfect for me.

I wear on the outsides of my feet like crazy, which doesn't lead to any issues. The problem was putting myself into shoes that were fighting this and causing crazy shin splints/stress fractures, ITB, and knee issues.

---------------------------------------------------------

"What the mind can conceive and believe, the mind and body can achieve; and those who stay will be champions."
Quote Reply