Login required to started new threads

Login required to post replies

Getting base swim interval to 1:25 or 1:20/ 100y
Quote | Reply
Thoughts on this?

I was just trying to remember what this was like for me 30 years ago when I was a freshman in HS and entered my first season around1:45/100y or worse and ended up around 1:25/100y (I was a sprinter, so yes slow)

But we did it with 5x workouts, and cross training, some doubles pre-season for a couple weeks,water polo summer league. In short probably 3-4x the volume I do now

Which is like 2x/week and 5k yards/week haha

I returned to swimming like 5 years ago and (shocker) entered around 1:45/100y on day one after 20 years of nothing but surfing in the water.

Now I hold 1:30/100y intervals with a bit of work (can make it to 10 before the evil clock starts getting the better of me)

I know this isn't fast of course. But would adding a third day push me into making 1:20/100y intervals once again? I'm thinking not.

From the blocks I'm super slow now, :56s recent un-tapered/unshaved, which I think represents pretty much where I'm at. In the pool I struggle to go under 1:05 on a 'sprint' interval (I always suck in practice)

Anyways, my bike legs and run legs are much, much worse and I was just wondering if anyone else in their mid 40s was stuck around this speed and what it would take to get to the mid/1:20 flat 100y base interval workout speed again.

Eg 10x100 on 1:30 leaves, coming in around 1:20, towing a chain of HS'ers in masters swim off-season is what I'm trying to get away from if I'm being perfectly honest.

When I follow the draft is too beneficial and I don't work hard on this interval--when I lead they jam up behind me lmao. I was just thinking... If I can add just (1) workout/week perhaps I'll make those 1:25 intervals once again?

Yes: basically the driving factor is lane congestion with my masters group. Especially the dude that always tries to lead our 'medium' lane that isn't faster than me (but should be!)

//Noob triathlete//bike commuter//ex-swimmer//slower than you

Quote Reply
Re: Getting base swim interval to 1:25 or 1:20/ 100y [Freddo] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
So you can go :56 from a dive? I know you're a sprinter, but you are really lacking endurance if you can't do 10x100 @1:30 with that kind of speed. So yes, a 3rd day will help. Heck, that's 50% more volume...

https://twitter.com/mungub
Quote Reply
Re: Getting base swim interval to 1:25 or 1:20/ 100y [mungub50] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
No I make 10x100 on 1:30 leaves, it just starts getting ugly around the 10th interval (coming in around 1:27 so like touch n go), I always try to swim in zone-3 type efforts

Am hoping to suck 5-10s out of this, mostly to clear the draft zone behind me in workouts tbh

Since my bike and run splits are so terrible I usually sneak one of those in instead, it's totally a zero sum game for me

Long course 1500m from blocks is like mid 22:nn, so there's more there I'm just not a workout hero

1000y short course I sneak under 13:00 unshaved so I guess race pace I can hold 1:20 for 10, but I want it easy/liveable, most of that is just a solid turn though

//Noob triathlete//bike commuter//ex-swimmer//slower than you

Last edited by: Freddo: Apr 29, 17 13:19
Quote Reply
Re: Getting base swim interval to 1:25 or 1:20/ 100y [Freddo] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
I would not call :56 slow. But I was thinking, if your form is good, how about shortening the interval on one of the days, so like go 20x50 on :45 and try to hold :40? Or even shorten it up more to 40x25 on :22 (you may need a watch with a countdown feature) and hold :18? Another thing that's helped me a lot is swimming sets like that with various levels of drag, then when I go to just a brief, it literally feels effortless.

Just my .02
Quote Reply