Login required to started new threads

Login required to post replies

Prev Next
Re: IM North America Championships 2018 [Dave Latourette] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
Dave Latourette wrote:
Considering similar time of year (in 2018 anyway) and a more challenging bike course ... Ironman Santa Rosa might be a better racing option for a Professional Regional Championship course (in the the current format the first 60mi would be much more challenging than Texas ... final 50 miles equally flat to Texas ... run course flat)

When will Santa Rosa be in 2018?
Quote Reply
Re: IM North America Championships 2018 [Tri Bread] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
It is scheduled for 2nd weekend of May for 2018 ... next year (2018) the Santa Rosa races, 70.3 & 140.6, are scheduled to switch dates

-------------------------
Dave Latourette
http://www.TTENation.com
Quote Reply
Re: IM North America Championships 2018 [Thomas Gerlach] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
Raced the October date of IM Lou last year. It was DEFINITELY dark-ish when we started, probably more so in the beginning of the line and if there had been pros there. Since it's the day after Kona, I don't think there was even a single pro on the starting line. They are able to start it at 7 AM, but it's very borderline too dark, as was TX last weekend. Rappster is correct, if there had been fog that morning like we get a lot in TX this time of year, you would have needed beacon flashing lights on each buoy. Interesting to say the least. Personally, I think Lou is a bit too late, but that's the part of me that doesn't like the cold and it was VERY cold the first 90 minutes of the bike as we left town in the shaded highway in probably 50 degree weather.
Quote Reply
Re: IM North America Championships 2018 [ericMPro] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
I hope that was a joke

ericMPro wrote:
Tri Bread wrote:
On a somewhat related note, Do you think there is any chance they move Woodlands a little earlier in the season to ensure wetsuits?

it's a CHAMPIONSHIP

Inside The Big Ring: Podcast & Coaching

Quote Reply
Re: IM North America Championships 2018 [tctritexan] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
tctritexan wrote:
Raced the October date of IM Lou last year. It was DEFINITELY dark-ish when we started, probably more so in the beginning of the line and if there had been pros there. Since it's the day after Kona, I don't think there was even a single pro on the starting line. They are able to start it at 7 AM, but it's very borderline too dark, as was TX last weekend. Rappster is correct, if there had been fog that morning like we get a lot in TX this time of year, you would have needed beacon flashing lights on each buoy. Interesting to say the least. Personally, I think Lou is a bit too late, but that's the part of me that doesn't like the cold and it was VERY cold the first 90 minutes of the bike as we left town in the shaded highway in probably 50 degree weather.

last year Louisville wasn't a pro race so they had no separate pro start. When we did it at as pros last in August of 2014 we started at 6:50 and even then it is barely light enough to see. So 6-7 weeks later the sun has to be rising much later. I can't see them going anymore than 10 minutes before the age-groupers, in which case the women will argue and likely so, that they won't get a fair race.

Save: $50 on Speed Hound Recovery Boots | $20 on Air Relax| $100 on Normatec| 15% on Most Absorbable Magnesium

Blogs: Best CHEAP Zwift / Bike Trainer Desk | Theragun G3 vs $140 Bivi Percussive Massager | Normatec Pulse 2.0 vs Normatec Pulse | Speed Hound vs Normatec | Air Relax vs Normatec | Q1 2018 Blood Test Results | | Why HED JET+ Is The BEST value wheelset
Quote Reply
Re: IM North America Championships 2018 [Thomas Gerlach] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
agree 100%.
Quote Reply
Re: IM North America Championships 2018 [The GMAN] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
The GMAN wrote:
stevej wrote:
With boulder now being earlier, why not make boulder the NA championship?

Because there's only 1200 registered for it. They can't make the championship race one of the least attended races on the continent.

A little off topic, but why do you think this is? I recall seeing some threads about it in the past, but I just can't recall off the top of my head. Is it the altitude, crappy run, heat?

Thanks,
-Doug

It is the mind itself which builds the body.
-Joseph Pilates
Quote Reply
Re: IM North America Championships 2018 [Brandes] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
Why?

Are you saying saying it's more reasonable to move an entire race up a month on the calendar for one guy than it is to just swim in a swimskin?

Ok got it.

Brandes wrote:
I hope that was a joke

ericMPro wrote:
Tri Bread wrote:
On a somewhat related note, Do you think there is any chance they move Woodlands a little earlier in the season to ensure wetsuits?

it's a CHAMPIONSHIP

Eric Reid AeroFit | Instagram Portfolio
Aerodynamic Retul Bike Fitting

“You are experiencing the criminal coverup of a foreign backed fascist hostile takeover of a mafia shakedown of an authoritarian religious slow motion coup. Persuade people to vote for Democracy.”
Last edited by: ericMPro: May 1, 17 11:01
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
I am saying that the idea of moving the race in hopes for a wetsuit swim is sad.

Inside The Big Ring: Podcast & Coaching

Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
Dave Latourette wrote:
It is scheduled for 2nd weekend of May for 2018 ... next year (2018) the Santa Rosa races, 70.3 & 140.6, are scheduled to switch dates

I had totally forgotten about the planned date swap. I'm intrigued more by the date, which fits my schedule, than anything else. I hope it goes off well this summer.
Quote Reply
Re: IM North America Championships 2018 [Rappstar] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
Interesting to see that IM Texas 2018 no longer on the calendar. Probably just a blip but you never know
Quote Reply
Re: IM North America Championships 2018 [DougEFresh] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
DougEFresh wrote:
The GMAN wrote:
stevej wrote:
With boulder now being earlier, why not make boulder the NA championship?

Because there's only 1200 registered for it. They can't make the championship race one of the least attended races on the continent.

A little off topic, but why do you think this is? I recall seeing some threads about it in the past, but I just can't recall off the top of my head. Is it the altitude, crappy run, heat?

Thanks,
-Doug
I suspect some of the road safety issues were a factor.

For a more difficult championship course, I'd choose Whistler before Boulder. But I just don't see WTC ever using a west coast race for this.
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
They should do it in January, and start the swim at 4:00pm. Bike and run will be in the middle of the night, but this way there will be plenty of light for the swim and Tri Bread can wear his wetsuit. I also think they need more Kona raffles to get people to sign up and then increase the Kona slots available at IMTX to about 450 or so. Once that is set, bring in Little Debbie as the title sponsor and give out twinkies at the aid stations. Finally, change the finish line music to play "Sway" by Kenny G on a constant loop to create a better atmosphere. That, my friends, would be a real championship race.

ericMPro wrote:
Why?

Are you saying saying it's more reasonable to move an entire race up a month on the calendar for one guy than it is to just swim in a swimskin?

Ok got it.

Brandes wrote:
I hope that was a joke

ericMPro wrote:
Tri Bread wrote:

it's a CHAMPIONSHIP
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
Dave Latourette wrote:

I'm assuming they may be adding a professional field to the full distance race then?

------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------
New Training/Racing Log - http://www.earthdaykid.com/blog --- Old Training/Racing Log - http://colinlaughery.blogspot.com
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
Tri Bread wrote:
Interesting to see that IM Texas 2018 no longer on the calendar. Probably just a blip but you never know

I would imagine they are waiting for the permits and approval for the toll road. Without those say hello to IM Galveston.
Quote Reply
Re: IM North America Championships 2018 [HuffNPuff] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
HuffNPuff wrote:
Tri Bread wrote:

I would imagine they are waiting for the permits and approval for the toll road. Without those say hello to IM Galveston.

Well it was on the calendar a few weeks ago with 'Date TBD' and also said it was going to be the NA Championship, which prompted the original post. Now its not on there at all which is what i find weird.
Quote Reply
Re: IM North America Championships 2018 [HuffNPuff] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
Would Galveston be a better venue?
Quote Reply
Re: IM North America Championships 2018 [colinlaughery] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
It would be awesome if they added a pro field in 2018 !!

-------------------------
Dave Latourette
http://www.TTENation.com
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
Tri Bread wrote:
Would Galveston be a better venue?

That is completely subjective. I would say that Galveston with permits is a much better venue than The Woodlands without one. IMTX will move...it is only a question of when, not if.
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
Tri Bread wrote:

IM Texas facebook page posted a link this morning where you can sign up for early notice of race registration when it is announced. They didn't say anything about the venue though so I assume it will be The Woodlands IF they can get the Hardy Tollway again.
Quote Reply

Prev Next