Re: 5 years of swimming with little progress [NAB777] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
NAB777 wrote:
ericmulk wrote:
NAB777 wrote:
ericmulk wrote:
tridork wrote:
ericmulk wrote:
BTW, my old swim coach (now late 40's) held the IM swim record at 43:30 for a number of years. He swims 25m lengths at speed, for long distance, at just 8 strokes per length (spl). He is pure joy to watch when he swims.

I've seen top swimmers swim 25 m lengths at speed in 11 spl but never as low as 8 spl. Do you mean stroke cycles or absolute strokes??? Stroke cycles is much more believable but, if you swear to it being strokes, I'll believe it based on our numerous previous dialogues on swimming. :)

Also - your coach isn't by any chance Lars Jorgenson is it???

Left hand going forward and pulling, counts as a stroke. The right hand is a stroke. One stroke cycle counts as two strokes in our lingo here (NZ) We used to have a swim drill, swim golf. Stokes and seconds to do 50m short course added together is your score. I generally managed low 60's thanks to a low stroke count. Working hard, I could get to 58's but could only manage 2-3 at that pace before I'd run out of breath. Haydn would swim 8 strokes per length. 4x left hand plus 4x right hand for 25 metres. When open water swimming became popular about 2005, Haydn entered a bunch and won everything he entered. I remember one race, about 2100m from the end, he rolled onto his back, did about 6 strokes of backstroke, to see where the chasers were. Then he rolled back over and cruised to the finish, with the chasers still about 50m behind! The guy who finally managed to beat him (Kane, became a part time coach for us as well)

My coach was Haydn Woolley. He did 43:30 at IMNZ in about 1999 or 2000 I think. It wasn't official because he pulled out about 1/3 of the way through the run, from memory.

Well, 8 spl is pretty amazing, unless he was doing 15 m underwater dolphin each length, or was he more of a puller??? I do recognize the name Haydn Wooley from swimming past. :)

It was 1997, I have the race on video, and I've never seen anyone lead an ironman out of the water by so much - over 4 minutes to Bryan Rhodes, and over 5 minutes to Lothar Leder, who won it that year. He also beat Ben Sanson out of the water in a few ITU races back then.

Absolute ripper of a guy, funny, energetic & chocolate addicted.

Very interesting, did he swim in the Oly??? What were his best times for 1500 m at his peak???

Not sure about the 1500, but I know he was sub 4 in the 400. His event was the 400 IM - he was the NZ open champ at 16.

I think he actually set an obscure record - the NZ 3000 in the pool - 33 something I think.

Very interesting, thanks for this info!!!

"Anyone can be who they want to be IF they have the HUNGER and the DRIVE."
Quote Reply
Re: 5 years of swimming with little progress [SnappingT] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
SnappingT wrote:
The packaged "swim systems" do a great job of marketing to the triathlon community and do a fantastic job of selling certifications to coaches who don't have much to any experience with coaching swimming.

x2

Advanced Aero TopTube Storage for Road, Gravel, & Tri...ZeroSlip & Direct-mount, made in the USA.
DarkSpeedWorks.com.....Reviews.....Insta.....Facebook

--
Quote Reply

Prev Next