Login required to started new threads

Login required to post replies

Best bar and extensions setup for Etap
Quote | Reply
Hey gang, I am curious; what are the best (most aero) bars and extensions for internal routing of the blips for etap? Currently I have HED bars with the integrated brake levers (Pain in the ass) and my LBS can't route the blips through the bars, so I am looking for another solution. Right now I am duct taping under the bars. This is clearly not a great long term solution. Thanks for the help!

--
Scott.

Team Zoot
2019 Sponsors: Canyon Bikes, Garmin, Smith Optics, Gatorade, Zealios Skin Care & Sun Protection, Speedfill Products, Base Performance, Ottolock, Theragun, Boco Gear, ORR Carbon Wheel Systems, Giddy Up Multisport
Quote Reply
Re: Best bar and extensions setup for Etap [rsmoylan] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
Check out the Zipp Vuka Carbon extensions. If you pair them with the Blip "Clicks" (an added expense) it makes for a super clean look as they are intergraded.

http://www.zipp.com/...10bednbtsx1o1xt87ycs

I'm looking to get these soon...
Quote Reply
Re: Best bar and extensions setup for Etap [DashLash] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
Thanks for that! I actually have Zipp extensions and have the "Clicks". It is the blips that are out near the brakes that I am having a hard time cleaning up. What bars will you be using to run the blip wires? The Vuka? or something else?

--
Scott

Team Zoot
2019 Sponsors: Canyon Bikes, Garmin, Smith Optics, Gatorade, Zealios Skin Care & Sun Protection, Speedfill Products, Base Performance, Ottolock, Theragun, Boco Gear, ORR Carbon Wheel Systems, Giddy Up Multisport
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
I use a Vuka stealth with "blip grips" on the basebar (clics on the extensions). I think the blip grips for $20 are a clean solution as long as your basebar grips aren't too ovalized, your brake levers route housing straight out the back into the bar, and your bar has a grip-area housing port that you can use for the blip wire.
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
I use a carbon Felt Bayonet (off an IA FRD) with custom blips for thr base bar. Super stealth and so far have worked great.

Strava
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
Your existing bars are kinda oldschool allthough not that old. If you want new bars to give you more position possibilites, by all means get a new bar, yours is kind of limited there. If you you want something more aero, stop right there. You will not find anything significantly more aero. If you want a new bar just because....... then by all means get one. We all get that urge sometimes. But your money would surely be better spent somewhere else on the bike. If you do get a new bar, all bars on the market today are Etap compatible. Everything that will fit Di2 will also fit Etap, so just find the one you like the best without thinking of Etap.

If you are actually happy with you position, and just want to make a clean and fast Etap mount i see too posibilities

1: Run the wire under bartape towards the rear end of base bar and then glue it along the rear edge of the base. that should have extremely limited aero implication (I would do that with a glue gun to make it stick but still make it easy to remove)

2: My personally prefered solution would be to drill a hole right behind the blip to run the wire internally. I am normally not a fan of drilling bars since they are a high tourque high risk area. So i would find somebody who knows their drillbits as there is a definate risk of delaminating the surroundig area if you just hammer it. However i have drilled plenty of holes in carbon, most often to insert nuts for bento boxes in the top tube, and i would not be afraid to drill yours. It would be a hole in the front end of the basebar, where you would not put much tourque on it. Worst case should it crack, you would be annoyed, but would not hurt your self. But i guess then you would have to get a new bar.....

Disclaimer: I have made a living in bike shops for more than 2 decades, so according to most people on this forum am not at all trust worthy
Quote Reply
Re: Best bar and extensions setup for Etap [Henrik Noerskov] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
Henrik is right. I guess my post will just reiterate what he has already stated.
You can run the wires outside - no aero penalty only aesthetic penalty :-) You can drill. I personally have drilled a bontrager carbon base bar for cable routing issues - no problems 2 years on.
Quote Reply
Re: Best bar and extensions setup for Etap [PennBen] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
Like MVM said . Here is a pic of mine. You may need to bore them a bit with a 1" flap sanding bit to fit some base bars.
Quote Reply
Re: Best bar and extensions setup for Etap [Dirt fighter] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
That is a really clean set up!!! Thanks everyone for the suggestions! I appreciate the input about my current set up. I know the HED bar is fast, I was just feeling weird about taping it below the bar. The glue is an interesting option as well. That will probably feel a little more secure too. Decisions decisions!

--
Scott.

Team Zoot
Quote Reply