Login required to started new threads

Login required to post replies

Super tight tires
Quote | Reply
Looking for some advice

I am trying to mount a conti GP 4000s (25mm) onto my new Enve 7.8 front wheel

I am nowhere near getting it on

Have had tight tires before but nothing like this - looked at all the you tube videos and even thought about putting the tire in the tumble dryer to warm it up but that won't help me out on the course

Are the conti tires known to be tight and if so what are my alternatives that have the same balance of speed and puncture protection?

I am taking this into my LBS in the meantime and will watch them put it on

thank you
Quote Reply
Re: Super tight tires [UKINNY] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
Warming them in the dryer loosens them a bit. Once installed, they stretch a bit over time and become easier to reinstall should you have a flat.

When installing, try to keep the first bead edge in the center of the rim. This eases installation on wide rims and helps with tubeless tires, too.
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
UKINNY wrote:
Looking for some advice

Have had tight tires before but nothing like this - looked at all the you tube videos and even thought about putting the tire in the tumble dryer to warm it up but that won't help me out on the course

Are the conti tires known to be tight and if so what are my alternatives that have the same balance of speed and puncture protection?

thank you

With the Enve 7.8 and HED JET+ tires are really tough. With the Vittoria Corsa Speed even more so. Invest the $13 in Kool Stop Bead Jack. It will save your fingers even if you are pro at putting on tires.

Save: $50 on Speed Hound Recovery Boots | $20 on Air Relax| $100 on Normatec| 15% on Most Absorbable Magnesium

Blogs: Best CHEAP Zwift / Bike Trainer Desk | Theragun G3 vs $140 Bivi Percussive Massager | Normatec Pulse 2.0 vs Normatec Pulse | Speed Hound vs Normatec | Air Relax vs Normatec | Q1 2018 Blood Test Results | | Why HED JET+ Is The BEST value wheelset
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
Check that you are doing everything right. Especially check that you are not using a thick cloth rimstrip (like the velox).

Then get one of these, if used properly, it can be a lifesaver ...

Advanced Aero TopTube Storage for Road, Gravel, & Tri...ZeroSlip & Direct-mount, made in the USA.
DarkSpeedWorks.com.....Reviews.....Insta.....Facebook

--
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
UKINNY wrote:
Looking for some advice

thank you

Have the same problem with my set of Enve 8.9s and the gp4000sii tires. I also run a Zipp 404 front / 900 rear disc combo for certain races and they go on much easier. So I'm guessing it's the wheels, not the tires.
Quote Reply
Re: Super tight tires [DarkSpeedWorks] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
Thanks all, just ordered one

I took the rim tape from my Flo disk , not sure if that is considered thick or not

Cheers
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
Try some veloplugs instead of the rim strips. The plugs allow the tire bead to essentially rest on the rim bed during installation which makes a significant difference in getting tight tires on big rims.

Advanced Aero TopTube Storage for Road, Gravel, & Tri...ZeroSlip & Direct-mount, made in the USA.

--
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
UKINNY wrote:
Looking for some advice

Do you have a spare aluminum clincher rim that you can mount the tire onto and pump it up to pre-stretch it for a couple of days? You can also let the tire sit out in the sun for an hour or so before trying to mount it. I don't have any problem mounting the GP 4000sII (23mm) onto my ENVE carbon clinchers using just my thumbs.
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
DarkSpeedWorks wrote:
Try some veloplugs instead of the rim strips. The plugs allow the tire bead to essentially rest on the rim bed during installation which makes a significant difference in getting tight tires on big rims.

Do veloplugs work with Enve? I thought I had researched it and found out they didn't. Tires are indeed difficult to put on those wheels. I have always ran 4000s and managed to do it, but I have to resort to jacking it with the tire lever (don't own the bead jack). Anyhow, the real trouble I've had is that the effort of putting the wheels on tends to move the rim strip around a bit, making flats more likely.

Dimond Bikes Superfan
Quote Reply
Re: Super tight tires [ericlambi] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
Not sure, I don't own any enve wheels. Maybe some other enve riders can chime in.

But veloplugs come in two sizes, I believe one of the sizes might work with your wheels, but I do not know this first hand. You can measure the spoke openings in the rim bed and then compare that to the recommended veloplug sizing.

I do know first hand that I have used veloplugs for years on race wheels and have had perfect success with them. You can notice an immediate improvement in tire installation when you get rid of a thick rimstrip and use veloplugs instead.

--
Quote Reply
Re: Super tight tires [ericlambi] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
ericlambi wrote:
DarkSpeedWorks wrote:

Do veloplugs work with Enve? I thought I had researched it and found out they didn't. Tires are indeed difficult to put on those wheels. I have always ran 4000s and managed to do it, but I have to resort to jacking it with the tire lever (don't own the bead jack). Anyhow, the real trouble I've had is that the effort of putting the wheels on tends to move the rim strip around a bit, making flats more likely.

I don't like using plug personally. I had them for a few years with a layer of electrical tape itself but didn't like the combo. Rim strips are disaster, don't use rim strips, especially if you are using latex. Rim tape is really the best option. Stans rim tape is probably the most popular way tape for both latex tube users and people who run tubeless.

Save: $50 on Speed Hound Recovery Boots | $20 on Air Relax| $100 on Normatec| 15% on Most Absorbable Magnesium

Blogs: Best CHEAP Zwift / Bike Trainer Desk | Theragun G3 vs $140 Bivi Percussive Massager | Normatec Pulse 2.0 vs Normatec Pulse | Speed Hound vs Normatec | Air Relax vs Normatec | Q1 2018 Blood Test Results | | Why HED JET+ Is The BEST value wheelset
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
Are you starting opposite the valve and finish at the valve?

#######
My Blog
Quote Reply
Re: Super tight tires [Thomas Gerlach] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
There is a 3M generic of Stand that is like 1/8 of the price on amazon. I can't remember what the pn is, but search 3M packing tape or something like that.

Pactimo brand ambassador, ask me about promo codes
Quote Reply
Re: Super tight tires [MTBSully] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
MTBSully wrote:
There is a 3M generic of Stand that is like 1/8 of the price on amazon. I can't remember what the pn is, but search 3M packing tape or something like that.

Right, I think you are referring the 3M Strapping Tape. The Stans tape is apparently nothing special but this is one of those products I just feel better about recommending Stans. Unless I get confirmation that it has been manufactured to the exact specs need for applications in bikes.No idea if 3M is the one that actually makes it for Stan's but I wouldn't be surprised.

Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
I’ve had the same problem on my 7.8s and called Enve. They all have a hard time mounting...it’s the wheel, not the tires or you. 7.8s are tubeless ready so lip is different and wheels are super wide. All they said was that it should get easier to mount but quite frankly during a race and on the side of the road It’s gonna be a bitch. Btw anyone want to buy a set of literally brand new 7.8 with DT 240? Lol....has less than 50 miles.
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
This is great if you are not in a RACE! What about flatting in an Ironman with these wheels? OUCH!

Lar Dog
Quote Reply
Re: Super tight tires [RichardL] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
I've owned the 7.8s and can say with experience these are very hard to mount tires onto. I've done the soapy water, the fancy tire jacks, I've even had to use a compressor to get the bead to set similar to a tubeless set up (it's that tight).

RichardL's solution is the only one I found that worked. Mount them and pump them up and leave them sit for a while - I left my for a week. They will eventually get easier (slightly easier). And notice I said 'owned'. I sold mine because I didn't want to mess with it. Pvrider310 is absolutely correct - in a race or on the side of the road during training it will be extremely taxing to get going again.
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
The combo may be a doozie, mounting tires is a skill for sure... Contiental IME can be tight on different wheels... my Zipps I can mount without tools. My Flos, I have to get out the tire jack tool.

Got my tire changed on my Flo wheel at a shop while traveling and the shop rookie put it on with no tools... like I said its a skill. I use thin rim tap, work the bead to the center, etc. all the things that make it easy and some wheels are still a royal pain.

Love that Tire Jack tool that I bought per TGs recommendation.
Quote Reply
Re: Super tight tires [Thomas Gerlach] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
Thomas Gerlach wrote:
MTBSully wrote:

Right, I think you are referring the 3M Strapping Tape. The Stans tape is apparently nothing special but this is one of those products I just feel better about recommending Stans. Unless I get confirmation that it has been manufactured to the exact specs need for applications in bikes.No idea if 3M is the one that actually makes it for Stan's but I wouldn't be surprised.

That linked Scotch 8896 works great. I have used it on dozens of wheels. It's very thin and three layers of it is slightly thinner than two layers of the Stans tape if I remember right....which I may not. The Silca stuff is great too and also very thin. I highly doubt Stans is actually producing their own tape. For many, many years a lot of people have said it's Tesa 4289 cut down to size. I think the Scotch 8896 may have been what Specialized was using for a few years.
Quote Reply
Re: Super tight tires [dangle] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
dangle wrote:
Thomas Gerlach wrote:
MTBSully wrote:

That linked Scotch 8896 works great. I have used it on dozens of wheels. It's very thin and three layers of it is slightly thinner than two layers of the Stans tape if I remember right....which I may not. The Silca stuff is great too and also very thin. I highly doubt Stans is actually producing their own tape. For many, many years a lot of people have said it's Tesa 4289 cut down to size. I think the Scotch 8896 may have been what Specialized was using for a few years.

Definitely not in their best interest to produce tape, just private label it.

Quote Reply