Login required to started new threads

Login required to post replies

I had to chuckle at this douche - craigslist seller's a jerk
Quote | Reply
I'm in the market for a used tandem kayak. Sit on top recreational thing on which I can take my young daughter for spins on the bay or ocean.

I saw a good one on Facebook Marketplace several days ago for a way higher price than it's worth and the ad contained a bunch of upsell items ("boat for $X, but paddles for $Y, and vests for $Z" when most other ads are just a package deal) but I reached out to the seller anyway to see if it was still available. It was, and the guy has now pinged me many times during the past several days saying, "c'mon, come buy it," etc. I've been ignoring him because the price is way too high and the whole upsell thing irritates me.

He pinged me again this morning saying, "I'm getting calls about the kayak but I'd rather sell it to a local," and I deleted his message. (I'm not really local to him and it struck me as an odd, somewhat desperate pitch.) I then went (back) onto Craigslist this morning and, lo and behold, he's listed his kayak there for $200 less than it's listed on Facebook. I reached out to him via the Craigslist ad and outed myself as the guy he's been messaging on Facebook... and no response from him.

This means that the guy's message this morning was just one last run at me on Facebook thinking that I wouldn't check Craigslist and would, instead, get suckered into paying $200 more via Facebook. Jerk. I'm currently laughing at him.

War is god
Quote Reply
Re: I had to chuckle at this douche - craigslist seller's a jerk [Crank] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
Everyone's a salesman, some are just better than others.
Quote Reply
Re: I had to chuckle at this douche - craigslist seller's a jerk [Crank] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
Crank wrote:
I'm in the market for a used tandem kayak. Sit on top recreational thing on which I can take my young daughter for spins on the bay or ocean.

I saw a good one on Facebook Marketplace several days ago for a way higher price than it's worth and the ad contained a bunch of upsell items ("boat for $X, but paddles for $Y, and vests for $Z" when most other ads are just a package deal) but I reached out to the seller anyway to see if it was still available. It was, and the guy has now pinged me many times during the past several days saying, "c'mon, come buy it," etc. I've been ignoring him because the price is way too high and the whole upsell thing irritates me.

He pinged me again this morning saying, "I'm getting calls about the kayak but I'd rather sell it to a local," and I deleted his message. (I'm not really local to him and it struck me as an odd, somewhat desperate pitch.) I then went (back) onto Craigslist this morning and, lo and behold, he's listed his kayak there for $200 less than it's listed on Facebook. I reached out to him via the Craigslist ad and outed myself as the guy he's been messaging on Facebook... and no response from him.

This means that the guy's message this morning was just one last run at me on Facebook thinking that I wouldn't check Craigslist and would, instead, get suckered into paying $200 more via Facebook. Jerk. I'm currently laughing at him.

Yet you still don't have a tandem kayak. Stop being a baby, create another acct and buy the GD thing
Quote Reply
Re: I had to chuckle at this douche - craigslist seller's a jerk [triguy101] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
He's too busy trying to out douche the douche.
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
Sheesh. I was just trying to make a little extra money.
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
Typical craiglist type experience. That's why I always prefer to sell/buy on ebay. Done over 400 transactions on ebay and never had a single problem.
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
To be fair, buyers can be a pain in the ass on CL as well. I've had a lot of flaky, pain in the ass buyers and supposed buyers, but the worst are the people in the free section when I give stuff away that I don't want to deal with.

Basic manners and courtesy when doing that was so awful that I now resorted to being a bit parental with those ads. I put a note in them now that says, "This isn't first come, first served. I'll reply first to people who use complete sentences, manners, and are polite in their response to this ad. "Give me your address for this" is none of those things and I won't reply to that." The next worst CL people are those who try to trade you useless shit instead of paying cash. And then there's always the "Do you have change, because I only brought a $50 and a $10 for your $40 item?" guy who's clearly just angling to get you to knock $10 off the price.

Your seller seems like an idiot who doesn't know when a sale is in front of him, but on the flip side I've tired of dealing with people whose only motivation is to ask questions and not actually be in the market to purchase.

Crank wrote:

Last edited by: MidwestRoadie: Apr 27, 17 22:04
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
Quote:
but I reached out to the seller anyway to see if it was still available.

Given everything else you said, why?

________
It doesn't really matter what Phil is saying, the music of his voice is the appropriate soundtrack for a bicycle race. HTupolev
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
Kayaks are a dime a dozen on Craigslist, at least around my area. I think you're over thinking it. Move on.

Also I don't get what the big deal is. I drop my posted selling price on Craigslist all the time until something takes. That's all this guy was doing. He had a higher price on FB, he was chasing down his best lead (you) at the higher price, trying to make sure it was a no-go before he posted for a lower price on FB.

I see no issues with differing prices on FB vs Craigslist.

I don't know, I think you are equally a bad buyer in this case, from what you've shared of the situation. If the dude is asking way too much and won't drop his price, just forget and move on.

I've had equally bad and good experiences with regards to CL and ebay. I use ebay for items that I think i need to go national with to get a good pool of potential buyers.

I use Craigslist a lot for common stuff. I find Craigslist on average easier and quicker to sell items.

Quote Reply
Re: I had to chuckle at this douche - craigslist seller's a jerk [Endo] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
Agree with craigslist. I've bought and sold a lot of items. I've had a few negative experiences but won't let that color my decision to use something that helps me get rid of large items.
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
Make an offer for it and be done. You're buying a kayak. Not a friendship.

Your daughter is waiting... :-)
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
How old is your daughter?

I have seen people put their kid in a separate kayak and tie the two together so you can 'drag' em. As the kid grows they will learn to paddle and control the kayak themselves.
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
So it's a douchekayak, not a douchecanoe?
Quote Reply