Login required to started new threads

Login required to post replies

Basement Redo Quick & Cheap or Whole Hog
Quote | Reply

We recently did a significant amount of purging/ organizing and as such our basement now consists of three rooms:
  1. Storage area with oil tank, water, tank & furnace
  2. Work bench area, tool storage and bulk head
  3. Large room say 450-500 square feet

In number 3, one wall is drywall, cable ready with two separate electrical plugs. The floor and the remaining walls are raw concrete. Our heat source is forced hot air and we can simply heat this room by opening existing vents. The room functioned as a home gym for the prior home owners.

We are looking at improving the functionality of the room as a game/ recreation room, primarily for kids and their friends. Folding ping pong table, coup, fooseball, darts, TV and couch. We have a large living room and small den with "nice" furniture and want al alternative place for kids to be able to hang out. Unfortunately, the existing ceiling is just above six feet so even a drop ceiling is out of the question do to existing lights, forced hot air, plumbing, etc. meaning we can never fully refurnish this room at least for anyone over 5'10." That said, options on the table are as follows:

Quick and Cheap: Clean/ seal/ paint concrete floor, flow rug, paneling and posters on walls and probably a secondary heat source for 3-4 months a year.

More Costly: Frame and insulate walls, laminate flooring, heat pump,

If it wasn't for the ceiling situation, I'd lean toward a more comprehensive fix, but right now, I'm at quick and cheap, curious for any comments, thoughts and advice.

H
Quote Reply
Re: Basement Redo Quick & Cheap or Whole Hog [Harry] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
Check your code, but legally I don't think you can completely finish the room. My code requires furnished ceilings to be at a minimum of 7 feet or 6'7 ish (I forget exactly). I would go with the first option if you can pull it off.

I'm in the process of finishing my basement, I framed it, did the electrical and HVAC myself. I hired out the drywall and plumbing. I'm guessing the process is going to take me 6-8 months. Im estimating it is going to cost me about $15k. Oh and I have never done any sort of trade skill in my life. Everything was learned via friends or youtube.
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
Based on your description of the space, I'd say quick and cheap. It's easy to overestimate how much a space like that will be used. If it turns out that it gets heavy use, then you can always consider adding to it later.

"The right to party is a battle we have fought, but we'll surrender and go Amish... NOT!" -Wayne Campbell
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
For the intended use - quick and cheap.
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
I vote slightly more expensive. Frame and drywall the other 3 walls. Can you leave ceiling open and somehow finish the beams so they a finished look. My old house had a half ass basement which we never used. Drywalled over the crappy boards that were up and ceiling plus rug over Formica tiled floor. Became the kids favorite spot in the house to play.

ETA - not my basement just an idea for ceiling

"I think I've cracked the code. double letters are cheaters except for perfect squares (a, d, i, p and y). So Leddy isn't a cheater... "
Last edited by: Leddy: Apr 27, 17 7:54
Quote Reply
Re: Basement Redo Quick & Cheap or Whole Hog [Leddy] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
Thanks,

No real beams in the room, just floor joists. Since we can't fully refinish it, I don't see it adding to much value. Like the opinions above, I think I'll go cheap to see how much use it gets before committing to anything more. That said, I like the idea of framing/ insulating walls and ultimately drywall. Maybe I'll get the materials after the quick fix and turn this into a snow day/ home with a sick kid type of project.
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
Harry wrote:

We recently did a significant amount of purging/ organizing and as such our basement now consists of three rooms:
  1. Storage area with oil tank, water, tank & furnace
  2. Work bench area, tool storage and bulk head
  3. Large room say 450-500 square feet

In number 3, one wall is drywall, cable ready with two separate electrical plugs. The floor and the remaining walls are raw concrete. Our heat source is forced hot air and we can simply heat this room by opening existing vents. The room functioned as a home gym for the prior home owners.

We are looking at improving the functionality of the room as a game/ recreation room, primarily for kids and their friends. Folding ping pong table, coup, fooseball, darts, TV and couch. We have a large living room and small den with "nice" furniture and want al alternative place for kids to be able to hang out. Unfortunately, the existing ceiling is just above six feet so even a drop ceiling is out of the question do to existing lights, forced hot air, plumbing, etc. meaning we can never fully refurnish this room at least for anyone over 5'10." That said, options on the table are as follows:

Quick and Cheap: Clean/ seal/ paint concrete floor, flow rug, paneling and posters on walls and probably a secondary heat source for 3-4 months a year.

More Costly: Frame and insulate walls, laminate flooring, heat pump,

If it wasn't for the ceiling situation, I'd lean toward a more comprehensive fix, but right now, I'm at quick and cheap, curious for any comments, thoughts and advice.

H

This is pretty much exactly what we walked into on our home. As far as painting and sealing the concrete floors, I would go with something like this, http://www.rubberflooringinc.com/...2-eco-soft-tile.html, because if a kid falls on concrete there is going to be a decent amount of pain. We did put up fake walls over the concrete blocks due to insulation and not aesthetics. I'm 5'11 so my head doesn't rub but it's pretty damn close. It was a good area for the kids when they were young. Now it's going to be my bike area.

_____
TEAM HD
Each day is what you make of it so make it the best day possible.
Quote Reply
Re: Basement Redo Quick & Cheap or Whole Hog [TheRef65] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
What did you do for walls, any moisture issues, bending/ buckling?

thanks,
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
With the lack of ceiling height, I'd leave it open and paint it black. Tends to hide everything above it especially when you add lighting. I'd go with sheetrocked walls and put down carpet. Little more cushioning, plus when the kids are little, they are usually on the floor playing and the carpet is a bit warmer than bare concrete or hardwood.
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
Harry wrote:
What did you do for walls, any moisture issues, bending/ buckling?

thanks,

Since I have an older house, 1939, I have interior french drains so there is a moisture barrier. I did run plastic over my insulation as an additional barrier. My basement is approximately 1500 sq.ft. and the drainage was about $3K in today's dollars. I do run a dehumidifier in the summer but have it going directly to a sump pump so really no maintenance at all.

I hear people say to paint the walls with a coating, not sure what it's called, but almost all masons that I have talked to say this is one of the worst things you can do because it will cause the bending and buckling. Pressure builds up behind the wall and forces the block to move.

_____
TEAM HD
Each day is what you make of it so make it the best day possible.
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
Bust up the floor and dig out another foot.

“Read the transcript.”
Quote Reply