Login required to started new threads

Login required to post replies

Ebay question for experienced Ebay'ers
Quote | Reply
I need help. I purchased a gift for my kid on Ebay. The shipping is going to be about $60 more than the shipping calculator said it was going to be. In the ad the seller said
>>Buyer will pay whatever shipping cost the Cost Calculator comes up with.<< That is a quote off the ad site. So the seller should eat the rest, I assume, if we follow proper protocol of ebay.

The seller wants to refund the money. Which is okay and nice of the seller. -But- I really want the item. But not at a higher price.

Any ideas how to resolve this and not be a jerk about it all?
Thanks.
Quote Reply
Re: Ebay question for experienced Ebay'ers [Mac] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
You can file a complaint with ebay, and/or leave negative or neutral feedback. Problem with the latter is the inevitable retaliatory feedback.

You can protest via paypal, if that's how you paid, but the end result would still be a refund. Offer the guy three options (well, two really, the third is left as implied):
  1. He sells to you at the advertised price, you leave postive feedback.
  2. He refunds the money, you leave neutral feedback, something like "Shipping underquoted by $60, seller refunded". This warns other buyers, in case this is the sellers standard MO.
  3. He inists on the higher price, and refuses to refund, he gets negative feedback and a paypal protest. Doesn't sound like this option is very likely, since he's already offered a refund.

I try very hard to assume the seller is honest until he/she proves otherwise. Unfortunately, a refund is a fair way to resolve this issue, even if it's not your desired outcome. I would still leave the neutral feedback, though. It doesn't hurt his rating, and it prevents habitual use of this tactic, if in fact it is a tactic instead of a mistake.

Tom
Quote Reply
Re: Ebay question for experienced Ebay'ers [Mac] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
TomH's approach is the best one tot ake. As an fyi for future use, always ask the seller for the actual shipping amount, regardless of what their ad says. Even if the seller quotes a fixed price on the ad, I alwasy ask them for a quoed shipping rate so that at least I have something to go with in case of any debate. And don't be surprised if the quoted rate is higher than the postage applied to the package that you receive...a typical eBay tactic to make more money.

Good athletes train when they want to, great athletes train when they don't......

Quote Reply