Login required to started new threads

Login required to post replies

Q factor = IT band pain?
Quote | Reply
Trying to resolve a small niggle in my knee, so I moved my cleats to the wider Q factor setting because I believe(d) that the wider Q factor is purported to alleviate IT band syndrome for elite/performance/endurance cyclists.

My issue is that I was NOT having IT band pain UNTIL I moved my cleats to the wider Q factor setting.

What am I missing or misunderstanding?
Thx!!
Last edited by: xsive: Apr 26, 17 17:18
Quote Reply
Re: Q factor = IT band pain? [xsive] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
Bump for morning crowd.
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
Here's some info that won't give you answers, but may help you realize there might not be a one size fits all.

I've had ITBS for almost 2 years. It's not bad unless I run which I haven't done since last September. I've done all the rest, rolling, hip strengthening, 2 PT's, injections, 2 bike fits (with multiple follow-ups) / etc. Maybe 50+ hours of research.

Bottom line in my research: NOBODY really knows what causes or what fixes ITBS. Seriously. Everyone is different and different things cause ITBS.

In my research it seems that there is one thing in common with the onset of ITBS in MANY (not all) cases. On the onset of ITBS you have just done a lot of something you aren't used to. For me I hiked like crazy around Yellowstone park 2 days before I felt my first IT niggle. It's been bum ever since.

Chasing cleat position may be a good place to start. That's about all I can say.

24 Hour World TT Champs-American record holder
Fat Bike Worlds - Race Director
Insta: chris.s.apex
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
I've been struggling with similar issues this season. I started off feeling some pressure in my patella that eventually turned into full blown ITBS. I saw a PT about it and we used an ipad app called huddle to film my position on the bike, it turned out my knees weren't tracking straight. I tried everything on my own to fix it, shorter cranks, wedges, moving my cleats out and pedal spacers (like you did) and it only got worst.

That led me to a bike fit with Ian at Fitwerx, where he discovered the same leg I was having knee pain also had a really weak glute and my foot pronated in, also a 1 cm leg length discrepancy. For me the fix was custom orthotics, cleat alignment, a shim, and strength training my glutes.

Long story short it can be anything, If you haven't had a bike fit recently I'd suggest going to the best fitter you can.
Quote Reply