Login required to started new threads

Login required to post replies

St Simon's Island open water swim
Quote | Reply
I was at St Simon's Island In Georgia recently. I could see (what I thought was) Jekyll Island in the distance. Do they do an open water swim from one island to the other during the year? I asked around, but no one knew.
Last edited by: knoxrocks: Apr 26, 17 13:11
Quote Reply
Re: St Simon's island open water swim [knoxrocks] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
knoxrocks wrote:
I was at St Simon's Island In Georgia recently. I could see (what I thought was) Jekyll Island in the distance. Do they do an open water swim from one island to the other during the year? I asked around, but no one knew.

Nope!

I lived on St. Simons briefly. There's several reasons you wouldn't want to swim between the islands. First, there can be decent commercial shipping traffic between the islands. Second, the current between the islands can be very, very, very strong when the tides change. Third, the largest shark breeding ground in North America is just a few miles south of there between Jekyll and Cumberland Island!

In the short time I lived there I spent quite a bit of time in the evenings hanging out on the pier. It seemed like every day I was there someone caught a good-sized shark.
Quote Reply