Login required to started new threads

Login required to post replies

I just cancelled my AMEX
Quote | Reply
and didn't have to actually talk to anyone! Usually (granted I've only done it 2-3 times) it's a big ordeal while they try to convince me not to cancel and offer a bunch of stuff. This time it was all automated and over in about 2 minutes.

It's going to be a good day.
Quote Reply
Re: I just cancelled my AMEX [Zenmaster28] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
Ever see City of Angels? Remember the ending where Meg Ryan thought it was going to be a good day?

Keep your head up.

If you haven't seen it... wiki has a great write up of this scene:

Quote:
The next morning, as Seth is in the shower, enjoying his first sensation of running hot water on his body, Maggie rides her bike to a local store to buy some pears for him. On her way back, happy and fulfilled, she rides her bike with her eyes closed and her arms wide open, which is not a very smart thing to do on a mountain road. Her happiness is cut short by a truck that catches her by surprise when it pulls out in front of her.

How does Danny Hart sit down with balls that big?
Last edited by: BLeP: Apr 26, 17 5:42
Quote Reply
Re: I just cancelled my AMEX [BLeP] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
Thanks for the warning. I shall avoid riding my bike today (I know, I know, take that shit to the tri forum!)
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
I saw this movie in the theatre. As Meg was doing this I jokingly turned to my girlfriend and said "Watch her get hit by a car!" Then of course she did (well a truck...).

How does Danny Hart sit down with balls that big?
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
Get ready for a credit score drop
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
I've had an Amex since forever (was my first plastic I think) but hardly ever use it. Maybe twice a year. Was wondering what the value was, but just this year was able to get concert and show tickets (including Hamilton) in better seats before they went on sale to the general public thru Amex presales. That's about the only use I can imagine these days
Quote Reply
Re: I just cancelled my AMEX [ChrisM] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
ChrisM wrote:
I've had an Amex since forever (was my first plastic I think) but hardly ever use it. Maybe twice a year. Was wondering what the value was, but just this year was able to get concert and show tickets (including Hamilton) in better seats before they went on sale to the general public thru Amex presales. That's about the only use I can imagine these days

This one had an annual fee on it - honestly I only signed up for it because they waived the fee for the first year and gave a bunch of points that I could convert to miles.

and yes my credit score may drop, I don't care.
Quote Reply
Re: I just cancelled my AMEX [tazunemono] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
tazunemono wrote:

If it wasn't their oldest card and they have sufficient credit funds available otherwise, then it won't see too much of a fluctuation. If the card only provided a small amount of credit compared to OP's total credit available then the total credit available won't drop to a lower breakpoint "grade". One thing that might change is the credit utilization score (how much you spend vs how much you CAN spend). Since you'll have a lower credit available then you'd want to make sure your utilization is at least the same or lower than it was previously (meaning paying off some other cards).

So if you can keep your utilization the same, and it isn't the oldest card then you shouldn't see much of a difference unless you dropped to a lower breakpoint on total credit available.
Quote Reply
Re: I just cancelled my AMEX [racehd] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
racehd wrote:
tazunemono wrote:

If it wasn't their oldest card and they have sufficient credit funds available otherwise, then it won't see too much of a fluctuation. If the card only provided a small amount of credit compared to OP's total credit available then the total credit available won't drop to a lower breakpoint "grade". One thing that might change is the credit utilization score (how much you spend vs how much you CAN spend). Since you'll have a lower credit available then you'd want to make sure your utilization is at least the same or lower than it was previously (meaning paying off some other cards).

So if you can keep your utilization the same, and it isn't the oldest card then you shouldn't see much of a difference unless you dropped to a lower breakpoint on total credit available.

Basically. I've churned about 5 cards in the past year and already cancelled 3. Score is still 800+.

Just signed up for the AMEX SPG during the last 35K bonus period and hit that in like a week (had some spend lined up). Forgot to sign up my wife before the extra bonus offer expired so I'll get her some other one. Should be able to work up to a substantially discounted/free round trip to Europe next summer. This summer's already booked with miles from last year's churn (using all Chase ultimate rewards).

I'm not too serious and I still save around $5K/year on vacations that I otherwise definitely would have spent by using sign on bonuses. Real pros do twice that and fly business around the planet. My plans are specific - visit motherland - so it's a bit less flexible.
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
Why did you cancel? I love my Amex card - it's my number one credit card, I use it for everything unless I go somewhere where it just isn't accepted.
Quote Reply
Re: I just cancelled my AMEX [Benv] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
Too many places that I regularly shop wouldn't take it - the main problem being the grocery store that I usually go to. I've got a Visa that gives me the same benefits (more or less) so I didn't see the point in keeping it with the annual fee it had.
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
Zenmaster28 wrote:
Too many places that I regularly shop wouldn't take it - the main problem being the grocery store that I usually go to. I've got a Visa that gives me the same benefits (more or less) so I didn't see the point in keeping it with the annual fee it had.

My wife and I joke that if they don't take AMEX, we really don't need anything they have :)

We love our AMEX for all the travel perks. We are 'those people'.
Quote Reply
Re: I just cancelled my AMEX [MOP_Roy] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
MOP_Roy wrote:
Zenmaster28 wrote:

My wife and I joke that if they don't take AMEX, we really don't need anything they have :)

Eh, perhaps not the best mindset to have. AMEX is notorious for being the biggest rip off to companies in terms of merchant agreements and the percent AMEX takes from the transaction. That is why often times you'll see larger companies use AMEX (simply because they are so big) but then smaller companies don't use AMEX because they lose so much more of the sale. I have no hesitation using my AMEX card at larger companies when I don't think that the merchant fee makes much different to their profits, but if I go to a small business then I'll use my Visa or MC, or even write check if they accept it. I like to see those small businesses succeed and when I come across a merchant that doesn't use AMEX then I just see it as someone who doesn't want to put up with their ridiculous fees.
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
racehd wrote:
MOP_Roy wrote:
Zenmaster28 wrote:

Eh, perhaps not the best mindset to have. AMEX is notorious for being the biggest rip off to companies in terms of merchant agreements and the percent AMEX takes from the transaction. That is why often times you'll see larger companies use AMEX (simply because they are so big) but then smaller companies don't use AMEX because they lose so much more of the sale. I have no hesitation using my AMEX card at larger companies when I don't think that the merchant fee makes much different to their profits, but if I go to a small business then I'll use my Visa or MC, or even write check if they accept it. I like to see those small businesses succeed and when I come across a merchant that doesn't use AMEX then I just see it as someone who doesn't want to put up with their ridiculous fees.

Eh... did you see the "joke" part of my post? I understand AMEX's business model and why Vuitton accepts their card and why the snowball stand doesn't.
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
I leave that up to the merchant to decide. If they offer AMEX I will use it, it's not up to me to determine if they can afford it or not.
Quote Reply