Login required to started new threads

Login required to post replies

Book - Outliers The Story of Success
Quote | Reply
Well actually an e-book. A very interesting take on people who have done well for themselves, whether academically or in business. Basic premise is that many of the things that create an outlier are basically good timing and some child rearing techniques that are divided by income level. He points to certain groups of people, for example most of the modern personal computing pioneers were born in a very specific period of the 50's. 1955 - 1958 I believe. Also, in pro sports, hockey for example - most of the players are born Jan - April and virtually none are born past September with a few exceptions. This situation also occurs with soccer and apparently baseball. He claims it has to do with the cut off dates for aging up. Hockey is Jan 1. Baseball is sometime in the summer. He claims the bias occurs because kid at the younger ages grow more quickly and since the older kids are better developed physically they tend to get picked more often for the "a" teams.

Interesting observations, thoughts anyone?
Quote Reply
Re: Book - Outliers The Story of Success [racin_rusty] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
It was a good listen. I think the term for the sports thing is the relative age effect. A good indicator of which sports rely more heavily on skill vs. physical capacity.
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
You're like a decade late to the party :)

Gladwell's great, lot of very interesting reads if you haven't read any of his others. I really liked Outliers, I've actually used that hockey birthdate story a number of times in conversation. The other one I often reference is the rice paddies chapter.

Check out his other stuff, he's fantastic.
Quote Reply
Re: Book - Outliers The Story of Success [Brownie28] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
He's a very easy read, the subject matter can be very dry but his skill in passing the story to the reader is excellent.
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
I'm a big Gladwell fan have read all his books. Having said that I have never critically investigated his stories so not sure they are all true. The stories are compelling. Especially liked the stories about underdogs. Maybe they were in David and Goliath. Like the guy who becomes a trial lawyer because he is dyslexic and spent all of highschool and college arguing for a passing mark in his courses and had to have a great verbal memory to get by. Great book to read on a plane.
racin_rusty wrote:
He's a very easy read, the subject matter can be very dry but his skill in passing the story to the reader is excellent.

They constantly try to escape from the darkness outside and within
Dreaming of systems so perfect that no one will need to be good T.S. Eliot

Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
he's a big time track and field fan. was a very, very good youth runner. he also rides bikes, which he started recently when working through a running injury. it is my opinion he is a goner for triathlon. my take: he'll do one in 2017.

Dan Empfield
aka Slowman
Quote Reply