Login required to started new threads

Login required to post replies

Dale Jr. to retire
Quote | Reply
Dale Earnhardt Jr announced he will retire at the end of this NASCAR season. Citing his desire to go out on his own terms after missing 18 races last season from concussion symptoms. Never the greatest driver, but almost always the most popular among fans.

http://www.nascar.com/...ing-2017-season.html

Slowguy

(insert pithy phrase here...)
Quote Reply
Re: Dale Jr. to retire [slowguy] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
Dirty Mo Posse!

Pink? Maybe. Maybe not. You decide.
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
Not the greatest driver, but one with a good life story.

War is god
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
I'm surprised he came back at all after last year. One good hit into a wall this season and I bet he hangs it up early.

I miss YaHey
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
I've never fully understood why people love such a crummy driver so much. But they loved his Dad so they have to love him too.

"Hey, didn't you guys vote Justin Trudeau in?"

Yeah yeah yeah...

How does Danny Hart sit down with balls that big?
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
My husband I joked that NASCAR will just retire the fan vote category once Junior is gone. I never understood the obsession with him either since he isn't a great driver....or maybe I'm just grouchy since Biffle didn't get a ride this year.
Quote Reply
Re: Dale Jr. to retire [SimplyAmy] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
Quote:
I never understood the obsession with him either since he isn't a great driver....or maybe I'm just grouchy since Biffle didn't get a ride this year.

I think he's popular because he handled his dad's death really well, never shied away from talking about how it impacted him, etc. It was easy for Earnhardt fans to just carry their loyalty to Jr. Plus, he seems to spend a lot of time with his fans, always seemed to try to do things the right way, and wasn't a dick like some of the other drivers.

Slowguy

(insert pithy phrase here...)
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
NASCAR fans maybe the most loyal sports fans out there, regardless of a driver's on the track success. Look at Kyle Petty, like Jr he wasn't very good but he had a big following based on his old man's record.

I always got the sense Jr. appreciated the business side of NASCAR more than actual driving. It'll be interesting to see what the next chapter holds for him.

--------------------------
The secret of a long life is you try not to shorten it.
-Nobody
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
You're forgetting the primary reason for his popularity: he had a band named after him, Dale Earnhardt Jr. Jr.

slowguy wrote:
Quote:
I never understood the obsession with him either since he isn't a great driver....or maybe I'm just grouchy since Biffle didn't get a ride this year.

I think he's popular because he handled his dad's death really well, never shied away from talking about how it impacted him, etc. It was easy for Earnhardt fans to just carry their loyalty to Jr. Plus, he seems to spend a lot of time with his fans, always seemed to try to do things the right way, and wasn't a dick like some of the other drivers.
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
Jeff Gordon, Tony Stewart, Carl Edwards, and now Junior

If enough of these guys retire, maybe Danica can win something?

"What's your claim?" - Ben Gravy
"Your best work is the work you're excited about" - Rick Rubin
Quote Reply