Login required to started new threads

Login required to post replies

Old H3 tire choice
Quote | Reply
I can't seem to find any 19/20mm tires, anyone know of a place to get some thin tires?
Quote Reply
Re: Old H3 tire choice [EnderWiggan] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
EnderWiggan wrote:
I can't seem to find any 19/20mm tires, anyone know of a place to get some thin tires?

Your best bet is to set up a saved search, now called "Follow Search" on eBay for Continental Supersonic 20mm. Something will come up but be prepared to buy right away when the email comes in as other people will also have saved searches setup. This stuff is gone within minutes often times of eBay sending out the notification email.

Save: $50 on Speed Hound Recovery Boots | $20 on Air Relax| $100 on Normatec| 15% on Most Absorbable Magnesium

Blogs: Best CHEAP Zwift / Bike Trainer Desk | Theragun G3 vs $140 Bivi Percussive Massager | Normatec Pulse 2.0 vs Normatec Pulse | Speed Hound vs Normatec | Air Relax vs Normatec | Q1 2018 Blood Test Results | | Why HED JET+ Is The BEST value wheelset
Quote Reply
Re: Old H3 tire choice [Thomas Gerlach] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
GP 4000s II (20c) is an alternative if you can't track down a Supersonic.

http://www.wiggle.com/...i-folding-road-tire/

Edit: looks like Amazon has it too.
Last edited by: spudone: Apr 25, 17 12:30
Quote Reply
Re: Old H3 tire choice [spudone] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
spudone wrote:
GP 4000s II (20c) is an alternative if you can't track down a Supersonic.

This

Pink? Maybe. Maybe not. You decide.
Quote Reply
Re: Old H3 tire choice [japarker24] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
Thanks everyone. Are the 20mm 4000s actually 20mm or like most of this line actually 3-4mm larger? Would I be better off with the Attack which generally measures close to 22ish...

Likewise, are the Supersonics actually 20mm, or much greater ? Been checking various websites...
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
I have a bunch of 20c tires - clinchers & Victoria crono - tubular I'll be selling when I get home in a few days. Stay tuned

My latest book: "Out of the Melting Pot, Into the Fire" is on sale on Amazon and at other online and local booksellers
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
Thomas Gerlach wrote:
EnderWiggan wrote:

Your best bet is to set up a saved search, now called "Follow Search" on eBay for Continental Supersonic 20mm. Something will come up but be prepared to buy right away when the email comes in as other people will also have saved searches setup. This stuff is gone within minutes often times of eBay sending out the notification email.

This.
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
EnderWiggan wrote:
Thanks everyone. Are the 20mm 4000s actually 20mm or like most of this line actually 3-4mm larger? Would I be better off with the Attack which generally measures close to 22ish...

Likewise, are the Supersonics actually 20mm, or much greater ? Been checking various websites...

Well my recommendation is for the old supersponic. The new supersonic is larger according to initial reports for the same 20mm advertised width.

Save: $50 on Speed Hound Recovery Boots | $20 on Air Relax| $100 on Normatec| 15% on Most Absorbable Magnesium

Blogs: Best CHEAP Zwift / Bike Trainer Desk | Theragun G3 vs $140 Bivi Percussive Massager | Normatec Pulse 2.0 vs Normatec Pulse | Speed Hound vs Normatec | Air Relax vs Normatec | Q1 2018 Blood Test Results | | Why HED JET+ Is The BEST value wheelset
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
Thanks Thomas, I doubt I'll be able to tell how old it is online though, won't be able serial numbers :(
Quote Reply
Re: Old H3 tire choice [jens] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
jens wrote:
I have a bunch of 20c tires - clinchers & Victoria crono - tubular I'll be selling when I get home in a few days. Stay tuned

Sweeeeet! /follow
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
I sold my H3's a long time ago but ended up with 1 Bontrager Race X Lite Aero TT (aerowing/AW) 19mm. These were apparently 'made' for the the H3. I only ever ran the tire on the front with something a little wider on the back. Send me a message if you are interested.

Quote Reply
Re: Old H3 tire choice [microspawn] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
message sent. I'll take this.

microspawn wrote:
I sold my H3's a long time ago but ended up with 1 Bontrager Race X Lite Aero TT (aerowing/AW) 19mm. These were apparently 'made' for the the H3. I only ever ran the tire on the front with something a little wider on the back. Send me a message if you are interested.
Quote Reply
Re: Old H3 tire choice [jens] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
jens wrote:

I am in Canada, pm me re 20 crono TUBULARS.

Thanks,

If in US or europe would just have to work out shipping etc.

Impossible to lately find a fast & narrow tubular for my H3 or 12 spoke Shamal. The narrowist I see above 20 are the shwalbe ironman 22 but they are butyl now.

Cheers,
Maurice
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
EnderWiggan wrote:

The GP 4000 20 is really narrow and the eyeball windtunnel suggests it would easily be the fasterest tire. Width on the H3 was 19.8mm. I I need to stick a latex tube in it and see how it rolls, but there is little chance it will have as low a Crr as the SS20. The 19mm Bontrager also looks great on the H3. I think it was Andrew Coggan that test the Ss20, Bonty and a Veloflex 20 for combined Crr and CdA and found the SS still wins, based on better Crr.
Quote Reply
Re: Old H3 tire choice [grumpier.mike] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
Yes, that's right about Andy Coggan's testing. The SS was just ahead of the aerowing and both were better than the veloflex apparently.

I use H3s exclusively and so have a stock of tyres for them. What I have found is that the Bontrager aerowing is good and remarkably resilient, but it handles like a nightmare in the wet. The supersonic is probably the best all round option. But on a dry and very rough road I would probably go with the Bontrager again.

Ironically, though, all of my best times have been done on Veloflex records. Coincidence I expect, but true nevertheless.
Quote Reply
Re: Old H3 tire choice [microspawn] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
microspawn wrote:

My favorite tire. I still have 4 of those in 650's
Quote Reply
Re: Old H3 tire choice [jaretj] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
I still have a couple in 700c :)
Sold my h3 though :(

Mark E
Quote Reply
Re: Old H3 tire choice [Old Albion] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
Old Albion wrote:
Yes, that's right about Andy Coggan's testing. The SS was just ahead of the aerowing and both were better than the veloflex apparently.

I use H3s exclusively and so have a stock of tyres for them. What I have found is that the Bontrager aerowing is good and remarkably resilient, but it handles like a nightmare in the wet. The supersonic is probably the best all round option. But on a dry and very rough road I would probably go with the Bontrager again.

Ironically, though, all of my best times have been done on Veloflex records. Coincidence I expect, but true nevertheless.

I don't think the Veloflex Record is available in 20 anymore. I believe the Corsa and Master are.
Quote Reply
Re: Old H3 tire choice [FatandSlow] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
That's true - although the 22mm version of the records don't seem to be too wide to the eye.

Nevertheless, if you can get hold of 20 mm supersonics that is - in my view - the best tyre for this wheel.
Quote Reply
Re: Old H3 tire choice [jaretj] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
I thought the 650 version was like spotting a unicorn...I've never actually seen one for sale. LMK if you'd like to part with one.
Quote Reply
Re: Old H3 tire choice [geetee] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
I'm pretty sure i bought the last 6 or 8 from bontrager.com several years ago.

Sorry, not going to part with any of them

Edit, mine are 23's
Last edited by: jaretj: Apr 26, 17 8:43
Quote Reply
Re: Old H3 tire choice [geetee] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
geetee wrote:
I thought the 650 version was like spotting a unicorn...I've never actually seen one for sale. LMK if you'd like to part with one.

Here is one of those Unicorns :)

Quote Reply