Login required to started new threads

Login required to post replies

Anyone heard of Stealthing? I hadn't until today
Quote | Reply
Apparently it is the act of unknowingly (to your partner) removing a condom during what was supposed to be safe sex.

I'm interested in seeing it discussed here.

https://www.yahoo.com/...emove-100700967.html

Just part of the article....

Removing a condom during sex - known as stealthing - transforms a consensual act into a non-consensual one.
It's a little-discussed form of gender violence, but that is all changing thanks to a new study into the phenomenon, published last week.
When a man removes a condom during sex - often unbeknownst to his partner, be they man or woman - he is opening them up to the risk of pregnancy and sexually transmitted infections.
But mostly, he’s committing an act he was not permitted to do, which many people are claiming is “rape-adjacent.”
For most men, the reason they remove condoms - often when changing positions so their partner doesn’t notice - is because they prefer the feel of sex without wearing one. But some also do so to exert power over their partners.
Apart from unwanted pregnancies and STIs, “survivors experienced nonconsensual condom removal as a clear violation of their bodily autonomy and the trust they had mistakenly placed in their sexual partner,” study author Alexandra Brodsky, a legal fellow at the National Women's Law Center, writes in the Columbia Journal of Gender and Law.
“Survivors [of stealthing] describe non-consensual condom removal as a threat to their bodily agency and as a dignitary harm,” she explains. “‘You have no right to make your own sexual decisions,’ they are told. ‘You are not worthy of my consideration.’”
Quote Reply
Re: Anyone heard of Stealthing? I hadn't until today [rick_pcfl] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
I hadn't heard of it, but it leaves me with one main question: there's actually time for that?
Quote Reply
Re: Anyone heard of Stealthing? I hadn't until today [rick_pcfl] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
I had not heard of it either before reading probably the same article.

A few thoughts:
  • may well fall under some sort of assault/sexual assault/rape statutes
  • really hard to prove any criminal activity
  • it's a shitty thing to do no matter what and you deserve to be kicked in the nuts if nothing else
  • how would the woman know it was done intentionally and not by accident?

I'm beginning to think that we are much more fucked than I thought.
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
Never heard of the term. Doesn't sound like something people should be doing.

That said, just reading the except in your post (haven't read the link in its entirety), the language sounds a bit overblown.

I know a couple guys who ended up with kids because their girlfriend/wife sabotaged birth control (stopped taking the pill and didn't tell in one case, pin holes in condoms in another). Neither of them would describe themselves as "survivors" of "rape-adjacent" or having experienced "clear violation of their bodily autonomy."
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
Funny, I was going to post the same thing. I did not know this was a thing until I read that article today.

If there are no dogs in Heaven, then when I die I want to go where they went. - Will Rogers

Emery's Third Coast Triathlon | Tri Wisconsin Triathlon Team | Push Endurance | GLWR
Last edited by: JSA: Apr 25, 17 11:58
Quote Reply
Re: Anyone heard of Stealthing? I hadn't until today [j p o] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
j p o wrote:

A few thoughts:
  • may well fall under some sort of assault/sexual assault/rape statutes - I can see a potential cause of action.
  • really hard to prove any criminal activity - I agree, but there have been criminal cases involving HIV positive partners not advising the other.
  • it's a shitty thing to do no matter what and you deserve to be kicked in the nuts if nothing else - Yep.
  • how would the woman know it was done intentionally and not by accident? - Not sure it would be that difficult, but, I suppose that would be the excuse.

If there are no dogs in Heaven, then when I die I want to go where they went. - Will Rogers

Emery's Third Coast Triathlon | Tri Wisconsin Triathlon Team | Push Endurance | GLWR
Last edited by: JSA: Apr 25, 17 12:01
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
All this sexual freedom we have now is turning out to be so problematic.

They constantly try to escape from the darkness outside and within
Dreaming of systems so perfect that no one will need to be good T.S. Eliot

Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
What constitutes "violence"?

War is god
Quote Reply
Post deleted by SS88 [ In reply to ]
Re: Anyone heard of Stealthing? I hadn't until today [JSA] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
JSA wrote:
how would the woman know it was done intentionally and not by accident? - Not sure it would be that difficult, but, I suppose that would be the excuse.

And most guys aren't that bright. I could see some/most of them saying, "What? I told you I don't like condoms."

But if the guy had a brain and acted frantic and afraid of babies I'd think the woman would assume it was an accident. My thinking was that it probably happens more than women know, they just think condoms go flying all over the place by themselves.

I'm beginning to think that we are much more fucked than I thought.
Quote Reply
Re: Anyone heard of Stealthing? I hadn't until today [JSA] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
JSA wrote:
j p o wrote:

A few thoughts:
  • may well fall under some sort of assault/sexual assault/rape statutes - I can see a potential cause of action.
  • really hard to prove any criminal activity - I agree, but there have been criminal cases involving HIV positive partners not advising the other.
  • it's a shitty thing to do no matter what and you deserve to be kicked in the nuts if nothing else - Yep.
  • how would the woman know it was done intentionally and not by accident? - Not sure it would be that difficult, but, I suppose that would be the excuse.
Accidents happen, don't try and use magnum size if you are avg at best...just saying!
Quote Reply
Re: Anyone heard of Stealthing? I hadn't until today [Crank] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
Crank wrote:
What constitutes "violence"?

Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
We were out at a nice restaurant last night and they had a little counter where the kitchen set the meals as they were ready. Saw a guy, and I shit you not, snag a fry off a plate as he walked by. I thought that was pretty stealthy.
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
Quote:
But mostly, he’s committing an act he was not permitted to do, which many people are claiming is “rape-adjacent.”
Come to think of it, I'm going to begin to label nagging as a "rape-adjacent" act.
I've never consented to nagging, that's for sure!
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
Is it rape-adjacent if a woman lies about being on the pill, IUD, or diaphragm, something that I suspect happens a lot more often than stealthing?

What if I lie about who I am, my job, how much money I make, being single, and but for that lie, the woman would not have agreed to sex?
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
I read most of the published report and they site a two forums and about three anonymous woman who said it's happened and the media is acting like it's an epidemic.
Quote Reply
Re: Anyone heard of Stealthing? I hadn't until today [Duffy] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
Duffy wrote:
Survivors?

Fuck off with that.

That was my first thought as well.

I've never heard the term before, but, agree that stealthing is a total dick move.

See what I did there.

Long Chile was a silly place.
Quote Reply