Login required to started new threads

Login required to post replies

Prev Next
Re: Bill Nye...What. The. Fuck.... [SH] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
Quote:
1.) Bill Nye has all the qualifications (school and work experience) anyone would need to be labeled a scientist on TV.

That may be true for TV. But I don't think anyone should hold themselves out as a scientist unless they have demonstrated competence in science through some career publishing peer reviewed papers, have doctorate in science, or worked in scientific research.

________
It doesn't really matter what Phil is saying, the music of his voice is the appropriate soundtrack for a bicycle race. HTupolev
Quote Reply
Re: Bill Nye...What. The. Fuck.... [veganerd] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
veganerd wrote:
ThisIsIt wrote:
veganerd wrote:
ThisIsIt wrote:
spudone wrote:
Can I have Mythbusters back. Please?

Seriously - if you're going to put "Science" in your name - stick to science. Politicizing your message just harms real scientists.

What kind of scientist is (was) Bill Nye anyways? He seems to be an entertainer. Of course I guess he doesn't claim to be a scientist, just a "science guy".

He has a degree in a stem fields and has for several decades tried to popularize and educate kids in stem fields.

To pretend he isn't qualified for that is beyond stupid.

I know it's the internet so everyone is suppose to be a dick but...really I just had the thought pop into my head as to what sort of scientist he was, and figured someone here knew.

It wasn't my intention to be a dick to you. It was more of a comment about the general thread

I was referring to you assuming I was being a dick :)
Quote Reply
Re: Bill Nye...What. The. Fuck.... [spudone] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
spudone wrote:
Duffy wrote:
Quote:
6.) Bill's doing the cause of science more harm than good.

This is my biggest concern with this show.

I stated earlier that anyone who is interested in the scientific process should really distance themselves from Bill Nye.

You can promote interest in science without rigidly adhering to the scientific process. Like when I mentioned Mythbusters -- half the time they were just blowing stuff up on that show. But they did a lot of things right to build interest and make it fun.

Well, for me, Nye is doing more harm than good because Nye is using science as a weapon to belittle other people.
Last edited by: SH: Apr 25, 17 16:17
Quote Reply
Re: Bill Nye...What. The. Fuck.... [H-] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
H- wrote:
Quote:
1.) Bill Nye has all the qualifications (school and work experience) anyone would need to be labeled a scientist on TV.

That may be true for TV. But I don't think anyone should hold themselves out as a scientist unless they have demonstrated competence in science through some career publishing peer reviewed papers, have doctorate in science, or worked in scientific research.
I hear what you are saying. It would depend on the context. I guess the only time him using the term "scientist" would bug me is if it was ambiguously tied to being an expert in some particular field of study.
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
Oh, other than that nit, I agree with you.

________
It doesn't really matter what Phil is saying, the music of his voice is the appropriate soundtrack for a bicycle race. HTupolev
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
SH wrote:
Well, for me, Nye is doing more harm than good because Nye is using loosely using science as a weapon to belittle other people.

Because that's what his target audience (his real target audience) wants to hear. And his target audience is people who know they are right and that everyone else is wrong and stupid and need to be told how wrong and stupid they are.

How does Danny Hart sit down with balls that big?
Quote Reply
Re: Bill Nye...What. The. Fuck.... [Brownie28] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
Brownie28 wrote:
spudone wrote:

You can promote interest in science without rigidly adhering to the scientific process. Like when I mentioned Mythbusters -- half the time they were just blowing stuff up on that show. But they did a lot of things right to build interest and make it fun.

Well except on Mythbusters they were at least somewhat following scientific principles. Testing theories, tracking results, reporting findings without biases, it was just a whole lot of 'experiments' that were fun and led to blowing shit up.

How, exactly, is Bill Nye promoting science in the clips posted in this thread?
Oh that was my point. He's not.
Quote Reply
Re: Bill Nye...What. The. Fuck.... [Duffy] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
I had hopes for the show but Nye has gotten to "in your face" about AGW and more. I have trouble even watching him anymore. His old shows and interviews were fun to watch. This, not so much.

_____
TEAM HD
Each day is what you make of it so make it the best day possible.
Quote Reply
Post deleted by SS88 [ In reply to ]
Re: Bill Nye...What. The. Fuck.... [Duffy] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
What's mind boggling here is that people looked at these, uh, skits (?) and said, "yeah, let's run that!"

That's what I don't get.

If a few people thought this was a good idea I could chalk it up to extreme liberalism run amok but the fact that so many would be involved is disturbing.

Quote Reply

Prev Next