Login required to started new threads

Login required to post replies

IM Texas Bike Course - This year vs previous years
Quote | Reply
Was this year easier than in previous years? I know the pro's road the course fast but curious to hear from age groupers.
Thanks!

(I did it a few years ago, not this year however)
Quote Reply
Re: IM Texas Bike Course - This year vs previous years [unicat141] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
In the most part it was a lot easier than pre 2016. 80 miles on a virtually straight toll road with a lot less climbing. What got virtually all the AGers apart from maybe the fastest few was the northerly wind which hit around midday. This crucified most people's hopes of a super fast time.

Although it was fast it wasn't pretty, I much preferred the pre 2016 route...
Quote Reply
Re: IM Texas Bike Course - This year vs previous years [unicat141] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
unicat141 wrote:
Was this year easier than in previous years? I know the pro's road the course fast but curious to hear from age groupers.
Thanks!

(I did it a few years ago, not this year however)

yes there were no hills and good conditions, and it was only 110 miles. I was riding a 56t chainring and never went higher than the 21 tooth cassette. The steepest part was an overpass on the highway, so maybe 1.5% grade for 0.3 miles. The only things slowing down the bike were several tight u-turns (maybe 6-8)

Are you ready to do an Ultraman? | How I calculate Ironman race fueling | Strength Training for Athletes |
Quote Reply
Re: IM Texas Bike Course - This year vs previous years [robgray] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
Sounds like this may now be the fastest course in the IM circuit?
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
man, most of
You guys must've made the turn to the second lap before that front came through... I was on exact pace for a 6hr split, the front came through with ~12miles left on my first lap, so I had to fight the wind 1.5x. It was brutal, at 56miles I was at 3hrs, I ended up 6:26.
Minus the wind, I'd say it would've been a good fast course, I think it's a toss up btwn TX and AZ
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
unicat141 wrote:
Sounds like this may now be the fastest course in the IM circuit?

yeah - at least in North America. I think places like Copenhagen may still be quicker. But if the hot weather turned up in the Woodlands that would slow things down a lot. It definitely compares with the likes of IMAZ for fast times.

Are you ready to do an Ultraman? | How I calculate Ironman race fueling | Strength Training for Athletes |
Quote Reply