Login required to started new threads

Login required to post replies

Need advice: Wheel/gear Choice for St. George 70.3
Quote | Reply
I'm racing St. George in a couple of weeks, but I've never been there and will be riding the course for the first time during the race. I have the following that I can use:

Zipp 404 front/rear
Zipp 808 front/rear
Zipp rear disc

Tri bike with compact crank
Tri bike with standard crank
Rear cassettes - 12-25, 11-26, 12-27, 11-28

I was thinking using the bike with the compact crank, the 12-25, either 404 or 808 on the front and 808 or disc on the rear.

Given those tools in the shed, how would you set it up for St. George? I've ridden all of them several times so none of it is new to me. Any opinions/advice are appreciated.
Quote Reply
Re: Need advice: Wheel/gear Choice for St. George 70.3 [T3_Beer] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
Not sure how strong of a cyclist you are, but I would probably recommend running the 11-28 on the back. The course is hilly and it's easy to over bike Snow Canyon (you'll probably want the 28 --> I was wishing I had a 28 instead of my 26). But on the descent down from there, you'll probably want your 11.
Quote Reply
Re: Need advice: Wheel/gear Choice for St. George 70.3 [T3_Beer] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
It can get windy there, so I would go with a 404 front. Back can be disk or 808.
I like an 11 for the long downhill at the end of the bike. With a compact, you might get away with a 25. On my standard cranks I go with a 28. Really depends on how much spin and how strong you are.
Hope the weather is great for the race.
Cold, hot, wind? You never know!

Team Zoot So Cal
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
T3_Beer wrote:
I'm racing St. George in a couple of weeks, but I've never been there and will be riding the course for the first time during the race. I have the following that I can use:

Zipp 404 front/rear
Zipp 808 front/rear
Zipp rear disc

Tri bike with compact crank
Tri bike with standard crank
Rear cassettes - 12-25, 11-26, 12-27, 11-28

I was thinking using the bike with the compact crank, the 12-25, either 404 or 808 on the front and 808 or disc on the rear.

Given those tools in the shed, how would you set it up for St. George? I've ridden all of them several times so none of it is new to me. Any opinions/advice are appreciated.

FWIW, I raced the last full (the epicly windy 2012 one) on 808 front/rear and two 70.3s on 808 front/rear disc, standard crank, 11-28 cassette. I'm 150 lbs. Definitely got blown around in the 2012 full, but so did everyone.

Ian
Quote Reply