Login required to started new threads

Login required to post replies

Mont Tremblant no passing zone 2017
Quote | Reply
Below from the course description. When looking at he elevation profile it has the no passing zones marked. Looks like around the 2km mark, the 66km mark, and 84 km mark. I apologize if this was already discussed. I'm guessing it is response to the horrible crash that occurred in last year's race?
Bike
You will begin your journey on Montée Ryan to reach Route 117, and, after entering downtown Ville de Mont-Tremblant for a turn-around, you will find yourself back on Montée Ryan and Chemin des Voyageurs, passing the Tremblant Resort and going toward the Municipality of Lac-Supérieur on Chemin Duplessis. Here, you’ll notice that the landscape becomes wilder alongside the river. Before long you will face the most challenging elevation change of the circuit with a maximum grade or 8% and beautiful descents on the way back where you can reach speeds of 60 km per hour, a little rest on the legs before starting your second loop.

**2017 NEWS No Passing Zone on Beauvallon Bridge and Chemin Duplessis

Originally from: http://www.ironman.com/...e.aspx#ixzz4fCMyTHF2
Quote Reply
Re: Mont Tremblant no passing zone 2017 [alittleslow] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
The 2km and 66km mark aren't part of the area where the crash was. 84km is. Not sure if passing had anything to do with the crash. Pretty sure it was one or two people who overcooked a very fast downhill section in the rain.
No disrespect to them, terrible accident, but that's the reason.
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
alittleslow wrote:
Below from the course description. When looking at he elevation profile it has the no passing zones marked. Looks like around the 2km mark, the 66km mark, and 84 km mark. I apologize if this was already discussed. I'm guessing it is response to the horrible crash that occurred in last year's race?
Bike
You will begin your journey on Montée Ryan to reach Route 117, and, after entering downtown Ville de Mont-Tremblant for a turn-around, you will find yourself back on Montée Ryan and Chemin des Voyageurs, passing the Tremblant Resort and going toward the Municipality of Lac-Supérieur on Chemin Duplessis. Here, you’ll notice that the landscape becomes wilder alongside the river. Before long you will face the most challenging elevation change of the circuit with a maximum grade or 8% and beautiful descents on the way back where you can reach speeds of 60 km per hour, a little rest on the legs before starting your second loop.

They seem to be overly cautious here. For the most part Mont-Tremblant is probably one of the most plush courses I have ever been on. I think the reality is anytime you are going fast with many people on the course, and some reaching for their brakes, as other are pedaling to the max, there can be a huge disparity. I think this is good reason to have an 'elite wave'. Get all those super fast people together instead of having them pass others who may be going significantly slower.

Save: $50 on Speed Hound Recovery Boots | $20 on Air Relax| $100 on Normatec| 15% on Most Absorbable Magnesium

Blogs: Best CHEAP Zwift / Bike Trainer Desk | Theragun G3 vs $140 Bivi Percussive Massager | Normatec Pulse 2.0 vs Normatec Pulse | Speed Hound vs Normatec | Air Relax vs Normatec | Q1 2018 Blood Test Results | | Why HED JET+ Is The BEST value wheelset
Quote Reply
Re: Mont Tremblant no passing zone 2017 [SBRcoffee] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
SBRcoffee wrote:
The 2km and 66km mark aren't part of the area where the crash was. 84km is. Not sure if passing had anything to do with the crash. Pretty sure it was one or two people who overcooked a very fast downhill section in the rain.
No disrespect to them, terrible accident, but that's the reason.
As I recall, due to that rain - someone lost it, went down and slid across the road into riders coming up the hill. That's why they're being extra cautious now.
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
Damn. As a big guy that's kind of disappointing. Sure, people pass me going uphill, but gravity is my friend on the downhill!
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
alittleslow wrote:
Bike

No. It's the same no pass zone that's always existed. It's on the main road in/out of Tremblant. It occurs where the road narrows down because it goes over a bridge. There's no shoulder there, so there's only enough room for 2ish bikes (one going each direction) plus a car, as opposed to most of the rest of that road where there's room for 4ish bikes plus a car.

It's only about 100m long. If that.

The crash last year was a result of the rain; nothing a no pass zone would have fixed.

"Non est ad astra mollis e terris via." - Seneca | rappstar.com | FB - Rappstar Racing | IG - @jordanrapp
Quote Reply
Re: Mont Tremblant no passing zone 2017 [Rappstar] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
Yes, the no passing zones have been there since the first edition in 2012. Additionally, there is one across a bridge in town (St. Jovite). That one has less of an impact on your speed if any.
Quote Reply
Re: Mont Tremblant no passing zone 2017 [Rappstar] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
Rappstar wrote:
alittleslow wrote:
Bike

No. It's the same no pass zone that's always existed. It's on the main road in/out of Tremblant. It occurs where the road narrows down because it goes over a bridge. There's no shoulder there, so there's only enough room for 2ish bikes (one going each direction) plus a car, as opposed to most of the rest of that road where there's room for 4ish bikes plus a car.

It's only about 100m long. If that.

The crash last year was a result of the rain; nothing a no pass zone would have fixed.

The OP mentions that the elevation profile has ANOTHER no passing zone at the 84KM Mark on Chemin Duplessis before the lap 1 turn round - I do not remember there being a no passing zone there as well (I remember the one out of town very well). And neither of my 15 or 16 Athlete guides have it marked. So either it's new all together or it's new that it's in the guide.

http://www.ironman.com/~/media/34dfa24eb3fa44c980ce4bc93788114b/im%20bike%202017.pdf

However, even if it is new, I don't believe it would have prevented the crash. It was clearly due to the pouring rain and someone going too fast for the conditions.

(no disrespect Rappstar :) )
Last edited by: MtnBikerChk: Apr 25, 17 14:05
Quote Reply