Login required to started new threads

Login required to post replies

Prev Next
Re: Motorcycle riders...........whatcha think? [Ringmaster] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
Ringmaster wrote:
My coworker has a newer Royal Enfield Classic 500 (and a Honda NC700).

He likes the Enfield but says it's definitely a city bike. Fun but not fast. Bad vibrations between 90 and 105 kph (head shakes, not just engine vibration) and tops out around 130 kph. With a tailwind. Downhill. On a good day.

He's also around 5'ish tall and the bike fits him well. I'm 6' tall and it feels like a kids bike to me, but I've never ridden it. He says it's a simple bike and the maintenance is much less than with the older models. But I see him on the Honda most summer days.

I hear you regarding the newer bikes having less "soul", but I'd look else where. Like a used Guzzi V7 or Triumph Thruxton. Having a small, underpowered motorcycle can be a scary thing if you spend any time on highways at all. But it's your call, nothing wrong with the Enfield reliability-wise (despite my reservations regarding an Indian vehicle).

Here's the link he sent me regarding the vibrations: https://www.quora.com/...ossing-80-kmph-speed

The Classic 500 is a different bike from the Continental GT. The GT is just plain sportier. I've researched all the reviews on the bike. My two biggest concerns where 1) the handle bar vibration at high rpm, but this is unique to many motorcycles. If you go on youtube there is a load of vids dealing how to minimize this problem. I'm sure I can reduce this to a minimum. 2) It needs more power but as already mentioned, its very easy to find this as there is a large aftermarket performance industry and its quite cheap in comparison to modifying a higher tech Japanese bike.

They're already coming out with a two cylinder 750cc for 2018 in the same frame, but I can't wait that long, plus it'll be more expensive.

We'll be hearing more of R.E. in the future. They've already sewed up the Indian market and much of Asia and are eyeing the west very seriously. They recently moved their R&D to the UK and have over 500 employees, mostly engineers and other techies. They have a new designs on the table, not just the retro cool.

For what I wanted - retro British on the twisty back roads, in town commuting and for those summer days when I don't feel like driving my Triumph TR8 convertible to work it seems to suit my purpose. The frame is a modern race design although it looks retro so the handling far out paces the power curve, which is perfect for a reborn biker like me who wants a retro ride. I hope I'm right

Good review here:

https://www.gaadi.com/...hensive-review-india
Quote Reply
Re: Motorcycle riders...........whatcha think? [cerveloguy] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
Went through some of the same exercise you did and I decided on a new Harley Sportster (in 2013). Pretty pleased with it. If you don't want all the power of the 1200 cc, some of the Sportster models come with the 883 cc engine. I'm not into the noise thing, so mine has stock mufflers.

I know price is one of your considerations. Did you look at the Indian Motorcycles? When I did, they were almost twice some Harleys.
Quote Reply
Re: Motorcycle riders...........whatcha think? [cerveloguy] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
I'm familiar with Royal Enfield and their plans. But I've been hearing the same story for several years. However, the Harris designed frame is a big improvement over previous designs.

The biggest problem with a single cylinder bike is the inherent vibration. Especially without a counterbalancer. I've ridden thumpers on the street before. It gets old quick.

I agree with the poster above. It's a small beginner bike that you'll get bored of quickly.

But at the end of the day, it's your money and your toy. Have fun with whatever you decide.

Fwiw, I bought a 77 Suzuki gs550 this winter to restore/teach with my boys. I have no intention of riding it after, I'll either sell it or give it to my wife. It's just physically too small for my liking (but it's in great shape and the price was right). I just wanted something mechanical to work on again.
Quote Reply
Re: Motorcycle riders...........whatcha think? [Ringmaster] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
Ringmaster wrote:
I'm familiar with Royal Enfield and their plans. But I've been hearing the same story for several years. However, the Harris designed frame is a big improvement over previous designs.

The biggest problem with a single cylinder bike is the inherent vibration. Especially without a counterbalancer. I've ridden thumpers on the street before. It gets old quick.

I agree with the poster above. It's a small beginner bike that you'll get bored of quickly.

But at the end of the day, it's your money and your toy. Have fun with whatever you decide.

Fwiw, I bought a 77 Suzuki gs550 this winter to restore/teach with my boys. I have no intention of riding it after, I'll either sell it or give it to my wife. It's just physically too small for my liking (but it's in great shape and the price was right). I just wanted something mechanical to work on again.

I hear you. If it turns out I like the frame apparently they are coming out with a 750cc two cylinder in 2018 then I could do an upgrade. Just happy to be getting back into the scene after being away forty years..
Quote Reply
Re: Motorcycle riders...........whatcha think? [Forward Bias] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
Forward Bias wrote:
Went through some of the same exercise you did and I decided on a new Harley Sportster (in 2013). Pretty pleased with it. If you don't want all the power of the 1200 cc, some of the Sportster models come with the 883 cc engine. I'm not into the noise thing, so mine has stock mufflers.

I know price is one of your considerations. Did you look at the Indian Motorcycles? When I did, they were almost twice some Harleys.

There is a local guy that has the coolest Euro bikes - MV Agusta, BMW, etc, but that is his only hobby. Damn expensive. Also a chiro patient of mine had one of the newer retro Indians. Ironically, my dad and his three brothers had one of the originals before WWII. Dad used to drive it around town at age 12. Lot different in those days. LOL!

My son bought a new 1200cc Harley in the smaller frame just recently. He told me the model but I can't remember. He lives on Vancouver Island so I haven't seen the bike yet since I'm in Ontario. He's 27, but I still worry about him riding a motorcycle, but he did spend four years on a Suzuki 350 before moving up to the big Harley, which was a good thing. He might ride out to visit this summer.

I'm just not a Harley guy, but the wife might upgrade her Yamaha V Star 650 cruiser next year, probably another Jap cruiser, so we'll just keep it for me as a 2nd bike along with the retro RE cafe racer. Best of both worlds.
Quote Reply

Prev Next