Login required to started new threads

Login required to post replies

Prev Next
Re: Anyone try cryotherapy? - UPDATE [JSA] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
UPDATE:

I have been doing this regularly for about 3 months now.

Here is my place: https://www.mycryofit.com/...ilwaukee-new-berlin/

Gotta say - I'm seeing great results. Now, the claims of weight loss, mood enhancement, etc., I dunno. I looked into this for recovery from muscle soreness. For that - awesome! In 3 minutes, you get the benefits of a 20 min ice bath. My chronic back pain is basically gone. Soreness from weight lifting is gone. Plus, I sleep like a baby when I freeze.

When I started, I did 10 sessions in 18 days. The "goal" is 10 sessions in 21 days. At 10 sessions, you reach a "plateau" of sorts and can back off to 2-3 times per week. After the first 10 sessions, I did it 3 times per week for 4 weeks. Now, I go 2 times per week.

You get jacked up after a session. There were a couple times where I went in after a 6-8 hour deposition or a 4-6 hour hearing, where I was dead to the world, and came out feeling absolutely awesome.

If you are looking for recovery and like the instant boost you get, you gotta try this. I got wifie to go. She absolutely loves it. Gets out of the chamber and is bouncing off the walls.

If there are no dogs in Heaven, then when I die I want to go where they went. - Will Rogers

Emery's Third Coast Triathlon | Tri Wisconsin Triathlon Team | Push Endurance | GLWR
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
Thanks, Trump!

#MAGA

Civilize the mind, but make savage the body.

- Chinese proverb
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
JSA wrote:
UPDATE:

Gotta say - I'm seeing great results. Now, the claims of weight loss, mood enhancement, etc., I dunno. I looked into this for recovery from muscle soreness. For that - awesome! In 3 minutes, you get the benefits of a 20 min ice bath. My chronic back pain is basically gone. Soreness from weight lifting is gone. Plus, I sleep like a baby when I freeze.

When I started, I did 10 sessions in 18 days. The "goal" is 10 sessions in 21 days. At 10 sessions, you reach a "plateau" of sorts and can back off to 2-3 times per week. After the first 10 sessions, I did it 3 times per week for 4 weeks. Now, I go 2 times per week.

You get jacked up after a session. There were a couple times where I went in after a 6-8 hour deposition or a 4-6 hour hearing, where I was dead to the world, and came out feeling absolutely awesome.

If you are looking for recovery and like the instant boost you get, you gotta try this. I got wifie to go. She absolutely loves it. Gets out of the chamber and is bouncing off the walls.

Interested. Starting to re-ramp the training for IMWI next year. Within the next 60 days will hopefully go +10hrs per week and would like to give it a try.

If you get something for a referral shoot me the info
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
Glad it helps. Sounds like it would be worthwhile- I'm sore all the time from lifting and jiu jitsu. Being the oldest white belt in the class by 15 years has its downsides...

If I don't, who will? -Me
It's like being bipolar in opinion is a requirement around here. -TripleThreat
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
Similar in it's off-the-wall'ness but not the same, have you tried a sensory deprivation tank? You lay in salt water and they cocoon you off for like 45-60 minutes? A friend of ours loves it. Supposed to be very relaxing. I'm curious, but skeptical of it just be a fad rather than something really great.

Gnothi Seauton.
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
Compare it to, say a 1-hour massage, in both effects, experience, time, and cost please.

Take a short break from ST and read my blog:
http://tri-banter.blogspot.com/
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
JSA wrote:
UPDATE:

Do they make you stand o that full body vibrator to stimulate blood flow after each session? That ruined it for me.
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
On the way to work this morning I heard a commercial about this and was going to ask if anyone used Cryotherapy. Their claims seemed extravagant. I understand it is good for recovery, back pain, arthritis, but the claim that got me was when they said it reduced asthma symptoms.

All I Wanted Was A Pepsi, Just One Pepsi

Team Zoot, Team Zoot Mid-Atlantic

Quote Reply
Re: Anyone try cryotherapy? - UPDATE [Billabong] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
Billabong wrote:
On the way to work this morning I heard a commercial about this and was going to ask if anyone used Cryotherapy. Their claims seemed extravagant. I understand it is good for recovery, back pain, arthritis, but the claim that got me was when they said it reduced asthma symptoms.

Helps me with sleep and recovery. My mom started doing it a few weeks ago. She has arthritis and had surgery on her knee. She likely needs knee replacement in the next year or two. She is retired and gardens every day. She had to stop because she could not kneel. Now she is able to do so without pain.

Now, asthma? I dunno about that. It does elevate your immune system and helps when you are sick because it flushes your system. It improves your mood because you feel so good. But I don't know that helps depression (for example). So, I leave the other claims to medical professionals.

If there are no dogs in Heaven, then when I die I want to go where they went. - Will Rogers

Emery's Third Coast Triathlon | Tri Wisconsin Triathlon Team | Push Endurance | GLWR
Quote Reply
Re: Anyone try cryotherapy? - UPDATE [Dirt fighter] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
Dirt fighter wrote:
Do they make you stand o that full body vibrator to stimulate blood flow after each session? That ruined it for me.

Nope. That would have ruined it for me as well. That must be something they stopped doing. I have been to 2 places in the Milwaukee area and neither have ever done that. My mom is going to a place in Green Bay and they do not have that either.

Quote Reply
Re: Anyone try cryotherapy? - UPDATE [Tri-Banter] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
Tri-Banter wrote:
Compare it to, say a 1-hour massage, in both effects, experience, time, and cost please.

Quite different. It is akin to a 20-30 min ice bath, but not a massage.

Cost:

Cryo - is $20-40 a session, depending on the package you buy, but can be as much as $70/session if you do it individually rather than buying a package.

Massage - my place is $70 for a hour session, $100 for 90 minutes.

Effect:

Cryotherapy does two things. 1) It applies extreme cold to muscles reducing inflammation. 2) The blood rushes to your core b/c your body thinks it is under attack. When you get out, it rushes back to your extremities. This flushes out all the lactic acid and crap.

So, in that second part, it flushes lactic acid like a massage, but certainly not to the extent of a 1 hour massage.

I have chronic back discomfort - soreness, not severe pain. This gets rid of it. When I over-do a workout and am sore, this gets rid of it. But, when I have a serious knot in my shoulders, etc., or my neck is jacked up, etc., I need a massage to get those knots out. Cryotherapy is not going to do that deep tissue manipulation. Again, it is more like taking an ice bath for your entire body, but it is not as painful as sitting in a tube of ice water.

Some other examples -

My mother is 71, has arthritis and just had knee surgery. She likely needs a knee replacement in 1-2 years. She gardens every day, but was unable to do so b/c she could not kneel and her hands would hurt. She started going regularly 2-3 times/week. No more issues. She is nearly pain free. Now, she will still need knee replacement eventually, but this is allowing her to do she loves.

I met an 82 year old woman at my place. She said she has been unable to walk up stairs for 3 years b/c of her knees. She goes 2-3 times per week and says she can now get up and down the stairs without any issues.

A number of MMA fighters from Rufusport and from Pettis Gym in Milwaukee have started going to my place. They say this is a miracle and they no longer use ice bath or even use ice bags for nagging injuries. They say this has noticeably reduced recovery time and allowed heavier training.

Finally, a couple Brewers and Bucks are coming in. Both teams have stopped in to look at the chamber and will likely be buying their own chamber.

Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
Ice baths may help in recovering from physical training, but at the cost of negatively affecting any training response (the inflammatory response to training is believed to stimulate adaptation). Same might go for this.

----------------------------------
"Go yell at an M&M"
Quote Reply
Re: Anyone try cryotherapy? - UPDATE [klehner] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
klehner wrote:
Ice baths may help in recovering from physical training, but at the cost of negatively affecting any training response (the inflammatory response to training is believed to stimulate adaptation). Same might go for this.

Yep, I understand this. The claim is this does not do the same b/c it is only a 3 minute treatment.

I'm not going to pretend I have the expertise to opine on whether this is true or not. I don't know. My comments/experiences are based on results seen/felt by me/family/friends.

The Dallas Mavericks were the first pro team to buy their own chamber. Several other pro teams are doing the same and ceasing ice baths, FWIW.

Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
JSA wrote:
Tri-Banter wrote:

Cost:

Cryo - is $20-40 a session, depending on the package you buy, but can be as much as $70/session if you do it individually rather than buying a package.

Effect:

Cryotherapy does two things. 1) It applies extreme cold to muscles reducing inflammation. 2) The blood rushes to your core b/c your body thinks it is under attack. When you get out, it rushes back to your extremities. This flushes out all the lactic acid and crap.

So, in that second part, it flushes lactic acid like a massage, but certainly not to the extent of a 1 hour massage.

Dude, get real. Lactic acid, or more accurately lactate, is used by your body for energy and is rapidly cleared by the body. There isn't a need to flush lactate or other "crap" from your muscles, as your body does a perfectly adequate job all by itself. Lactate doesn't cause DOMS or any other soreness, other than the burning (due to change in muscle pH) you get while exercising strenuously.

There's absolutely no evidence that cryotherapy has any positive effect, other than perhaps placebo. Same for cupping. Just because Phelps does cupping, or some pro baseball player does cryotherapy, is a poor reason to do any of those things.

You can look it up.

"Go yell at an M&M"
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
klehner wrote:
JSA wrote:
Tri-Banter wrote:

Cost:

Effect:

Dude, get real. Lactic acid, or more accurately lactate, is used by your body for energy and is rapidly cleared by the body. There isn't a need to flush lactate or other "crap" from your muscles, as your body does a perfectly adequate job all by itself. Lactate doesn't cause DOMS or any other soreness, other than the burning (due to change in muscle pH) you get while exercising strenuously.

There's absolutely no evidence that cryotherapy has any positive effect, other than perhaps placebo. Same for cupping. Just because Phelps does cupping, or some pro baseball player does cryotherapy, is a poor reason to do any of those things.

You can look it up.

Let me get this straight. You have never experienced cryotherapy and know absolutely nothing about it, but now you are an authority? Really?

Look, I asked about it a few months ago. I said I would report back. I am reporting back.

I cannot tell you what it will do for you. All I know is what it does for me, wifie, and my 71 year old mother.

Frankly, I couldn't care less about the "science" behind it. For me, it makes me feel better, recover faster, workout harder. It makes wifie feel good. It allows my mother to garden again. I couldn't care less why or how it does so - hard science or placebo.

I have zero personal interest in promoting cryotherapy. I have no ownership, investment, money, pride, nothing to gain or lose by you trying or not trying it.

But, I appreciate it when people on this forum share experiences with certain things, so I am paying it back. Take or leave it.

Or continue with your head up your ass. I don't care.

Dude.

Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
JSA wrote:
klehner wrote:
JSA wrote:
Tri-Banter wrote:

Cost:

Effect:

You can look it up.

Let me get this straight. You have never experienced cryotherapy and know absolutely nothing about it, but now you are an authority? Really?

Look, I asked about it a few months ago. I said I would report back. I am reporting back.

I cannot tell you what it will do for you. All I know is what it does for me, wifie, and my 71 year old mother.

Frankly, I couldn't care less about the "science" behind it. For me, it makes me feel better, recover faster, workout harder. It makes wifie feel good. It allows my mother to garden again. I couldn't care less why or how it does so - hard science or placebo.

I have zero personal interest in promoting cryotherapy. I have no ownership, investment, money, pride, nothing to gain or lose by you trying or not trying it.

But, I appreciate it when people on this forum share experiences with certain things, so I am paying it back. Take or leave it.

Dude.

I've never taken cyanide, but that doesn't mean I cannot quote the science on it, does it? Your argument is laughable.

"I couldn't care less about the 'science' behind it." That says it all. Good luck with your $70 treatments.

"Go yell at an M&M"
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
klehner wrote:
JSA wrote:
klehner wrote:
JSA wrote:
Tri-Banter wrote:

Cost:

Effect:

You can look it up.

Dude.

I've never taken cyanide, but that doesn't mean I cannot quote the science on it, does it? Your argument is laughable.

"I couldn't care less about the 'science' behind it." That says it all. Good luck with your $70 treatments.

That's your response? LOL!!!!!

Reading comprehension isn't your strong suit. It is $20 per session for me.

Why are you so butt hurt over this? Did a cryotherapist steal your girlfriend?

Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
JSA wrote:

First, your argument that someone can't comment on something if said person hasn't tried it is really stupid.

Second, I am not butt-hurt: I'm trying to be informative. But your lack of interest in actual facts is telling, and it tells me not to try to inform you. Enjoy.

"Go yell at an M&M"
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
klehner wrote:
JSA wrote:

First, your argument that someone can't comment on something if said person hasn't tried it is really stupid.

Boy, your reading compression is really failing today. I said you never tried it, but suddenly became an authority. You can comment all you want. I never said otherwise. I like it when you make a fool of yourself.

I don't know the science behind ibuprofen either, but I know when I take it, my headache goes away.

No one asked me about the science behind cryotherapy, just the feeling and the results. I know the feeling and the results. You do not.

Sure, you may be able to quote the science behind cyanide, but can you tell us how it makes you feel to inhale/ingest it?

klehner wrote:
Second, I am not butt-hurt: I'm trying to be informative. But your lack of interest in actual facts is telling, and it tells me not to try to inform you. Enjoy.

No, you are not trying to be informative. You are being argumentative for the sake of argument. Common reaction in the LR and especially for you. Perhaps you are angry because you do not have access to it. Perhaps you are envious because you cannot afford it. I don't know the reason behind the butt hurt, I just know it when I see it.

Last edited by: JSA: Sep 21, 17 8:58
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
FWIW, I am motivated by your results to give this a try. It's next door to a compounding pharmacy I shop in every month. The location is also the unfortunate local where an employee died 2 years ago while using the cryotherapy chamber unsupervised. https://www.cbsnews.com/...apy-safety-concerns/

My N = 1 experience is that cold stops pain and I am definitely too much of a wienie to sit in an ice bath, so this is potentially less horrible. I will soon "take the plunge".

DFL > DNF > DNS
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
a placebo effect is very real. silly to dismiss them.
Quote Reply

Prev Next