Login required to started new threads

Login required to post replies

How to swim slower
Quote | Reply
My coach writes these 1 hour workouts where I am supposed to swim 3000 meters. Problem is I am doing them in 45 minutes. I need to slow down? Any constructive ideas?
Quote Reply
Re: How to swim slower [ajthomas] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
Ummmm, try following the workout next time?

;-)

Swimming Workout of the Day:

Favourite Swim Sets:

2020 National Masters Champion - M50-54 - 50m Butterfly
Quote Reply
Re: How to swim slower [JasoninHalifax] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
1) Do the first 1500 butterfly with drag suit and the second 1500 breaststroke.

2) Drag suit plus band.

3) Drug suit + parachute.
Quote Reply
Re: How to swim slower [Velocibuddha] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
Aqua jogging

Favourite Swim Sets:

Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
Velocibuddha wrote:

Pretty sure a drug suit would make you go faster... Maybe the parachute would cancel it out though :P

Disclaimer: Not a triathlete anymore, just a fish
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
Switch the swim sets for kick and vice versa.

Quote Reply
Re: How to swim slower [Skirl] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
Skirl wrote:
Velocibuddha wrote:

Pretty sure a drug suit would make you go faster... Maybe the parachute would cancel it out though :P

No. You can actually buy a swim suit with pockets in it that fill up with water when you swim. This was called a drag suit.
It slows you down about 10 seconds per 100

I have also seen people hauling little boats and sometimes little parachutes.

Trying to swim butterfly in a long course pool, with both a drag suit and a parachute.....
I doubt Michael Phelps at his best could swim 3000m in an hour.
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
I'm aware of what a drag suit is, I was a competitive swimmer before becoming a triathlete. It was a joke based on the drag/drug typo.

Disclaimer: Not a triathlete anymore, just a fish
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
Do what real swimmers do- procrastinate. Don't get in the pool on time. Take at least 3-4x longer in between sets than posted. Chat up other people in your vicinity to distract yourself from the next sendoff. There's bound to be a cute lifeguard to ask pool-related questions (Ex: What time is the next Active Older Adults class? Care to check out my stroke <wink wink>?). Swim time will still be 45 minutes but you'll have wasted enough time to count it as an hour workout.

Take a short break from ST and read my blog:
http://tri-banter.blogspot.com/
Quote Reply
Re: How to swim slower [Tri-Banter] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
At FINA Worlds this December a lot of the teams trained in the pool I swam in for a week or two before the races started and It was stupid at how long they warmed up for. This one guy from Brazil was on the deck warming up for over an hour most mornings before he got in the pool.. and he only swam for a couple km (he might have doubled every day, but I doubt it considering how long it took him to get in the pool!)
While I roll out and do some dynamic stretching before I get in the pool, I spend at most (unless I get talking to someone) 15 minutes and than I'm ready to swim..

OlympicHopeful.com - Interviews with aspiring Olympians | Strava
Supported by: Skechers|Zwift|Squirt Lube|TYR|Rubber Ducky Sunscreen|Riplaces|MultiSport Canada|Joshus Bikes
“More often than not bad luck meant bad plans” -Joe Abercrombie
Quote Reply
Re: How to swim slower [Joshawa] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
Sprinters on taper are a special breed.

Joshawa wrote:
At FINA Worlds this December a lot of the teams trained in the pool I swam in for a week or two before the races started and It was stupid at how long they warmed up for. This one guy from Brazil was on the deck warming up for over an hour most mornings before he got in the pool.. and he only swam for a couple km (he might have doubled every day, but I doubt it considering how long it took him to get in the pool!)
While I roll out and do some dynamic stretching before I get in the pool, I spend at most (unless I get talking to someone) 15 minutes and than I'm ready to swim..

Favourite Swim Sets:

Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
You'e a total amateur if you can't milk five minutes out of fussy and precise goggle adjustment :)

Could also add in a little vertical kicking at the end.
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
Cut the toes off a pair of panty hose. Old school drag suit.

Of course, you could just add a set or two and pump the volume to 3500-4000 in the same hour. That's my solution.

Only those who risk going too far can find out how far they can go...
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
ajthomas wrote:
My coach writes these 1 hour workouts where I am supposed to swim 3000 meters. Problem is I am doing them in 45 minutes. I need to slow down? Any constructive ideas?

As I see it you have 4 options:
  1. Get your coach to write 45mins instead of 1hr
  2. Get your coach to write 4000m instead of 3000m
  3. If your coach won't ask you to do what you're going to do regardless, ignore him or get a new coach
  4. Put your question in pink

Oh wait, I though of a 5th one but be warned, it's kinda radical.

5. Swim at the pace he asked you to

Seriously, if you can't swim a slower pace like he's asking you to, you have a psychological problem. Or some practical difficulty you haven't explained.
If it's just that he's asking for something you don't want to do, tell him. Do you understand the sets he's giving you?
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
Tape 8 gels to your chest?

"They're made of latex, not nitroglycerin"
Quote Reply
Re: How to swim slower [FLA Jill] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
FLA Jill wrote:
You'e a total amateur if you can't milk five minutes out of fussy and precise goggle adjustment :)

Could also add in a little vertical kicking at the end.

he could also practice his lat slaps and bubble rings.

Such a noob.

Favourite Swim Sets:

Quote Reply
Re: How to swim slower [JasoninHalifax] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
JasoninHalifax wrote:

he could also practice his.....bubble rings.

Such a noob.

Good one!

In the 80's, we'd do underwater break dancing.

"They're made of latex, not nitroglycerin"
Quote Reply
Re: How to swim slower [Ai_1] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
Ai_1 wrote:
ajthomas wrote:

3. If your coach won't ask you to do what you're going to do regardless, ignore him or get a new coach

5. Swim at the pace he asked you to

Seriously, if you can't swim a slower pace like he's asking you to, you have a psychological problem. Or some practical difficulty you haven't explained.
If it's just that he's asking for something you don't want to do, tell him. Do you understand the sets he's giving you?

my coach is a woman, you sexist.
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
Does your coach have trucker hats?

Favourite Swim Sets:

Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
ajthomas wrote:
Ai_1 wrote:
ajthomas wrote:

3. If your coach won't ask you to do what you're going to do regardless, ignore him/her or get a new coach

5. Swim at the pace (s)he asked you to

Seriously, if you can't swim a slower pace like (s)he's asking you to, you have a psychological problem. Or some practical difficulty you haven't explained.
If it's just that (s)he's asking for something you don't want to do, tell him/her. Do you understand the sets (s)he's giving you?

No, just lazy, but you're sexist if you think that's relevant.

...There, I fixed it.
Quote Reply
Re: How to swim slower [Ai_1] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
Ai_1 wrote:
ajthomas wrote:
Ai_1 wrote:
ajthomas wrote:

3. If your coach won't ask you to do what you're going to do regardless, ignore him/her or get a new coach

5. Swim at the pace (s)he asked you to

Seriously, if you can't swim a slower pace like (s)he's asking you to, you have a psychological problem. Or some practical difficulty you haven't explained.
If it's just that (s)he's asking for something you don't want to do, tell him/her. Do you understand the sets (s)he's giving you?

No, just lazy, but you're sexist if you think that's relevant.

...There, I fixed it.

Over the weekend some guy posted about how to bike slower. The entire point of his post was actually to tell everyone he is really super fast on the bike. It was lame. Hence the lame post by me...that you took seriously. Though in fairness the joke was more obvious when the two threads were side-by-side. And no, I don't think you are a sexist.
Quote Reply
Re: How to swim slower [Tri-Banter] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
Tri-Banter wrote:
Do what real swimmers do- procrastinate. Don't get in the pool on time. Take at least 3-4x longer in between sets than posted. Chat up other people in your vicinity to distract yourself from the next sendoff. There's bound to be a cute lifeguard to ask pool-related questions (Ex: What time is the next Active Older Adults class? Care to check out my stroke <wink wink>?). Swim time will still be 45 minutes but you'll have wasted enough time to count it as an hour workout.

Also, look at the people in the lane next to you and spend time telling them everything they're doing wrong. If they're better than you or you can't find any flaws, then tell them how much they'd benefit from cross-training.

If they ignore you, then wait until they return and ask them why they're throwing away this great advice.
If they listen to you, then repeat what you've already said.
If they become exasperated, then ask why they're acting that way since you're only trying to help!

This is guaranteed to waste 5-10 minutes - more if you multi-advise with people on the lanes to your left and right.
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
ajthomas wrote:

Your pool is short course, not long course. You are only doing half the workout.

Favourite Swim Sets:

Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
Listen to the 8% stop doing turns...
Quote Reply