Login required to started new threads

Login required to post replies

new road/cx bike: suggestions
Quote | Reply
so i'm in the market for another bike. i don't have a budget per se. lets just say i have a little discount on certain brands.

my original road bike was a cannondale system six 48cm. it was a weee bit large for me. unlike STers, i'm not wiz in stack/reach/fit. i just know the cannondale was a tiny bit large (toe/front wheel overlap). but i was pretty comfortable on it and never really noticed the fit problem (then again, that was 10 years ago!)

i'm looking for a road bike so i can slap it on the kickr and ride it for centuries (b2vt, crw ride to the clouds). i also wouldn't mind a quick cx bike that i can slap slicks on and still be able to hold 20mph without that much extra effort. here are some options: would love advice.

1) raleigh rxc 2017: it's a 1x setup, would i be able to run 25mm slicks on those rims?
Rims:American Classic Hurricane Tubeless Disc Wheelset, 22mm Wide and 24mm Deep

2) lapierre pulsium ult mc: di2, which i like, but it's quite pricey. compared to the other bikes here. it does come in 49 and 46 (being 5'3" with 27inch inseam, i wish there was a 47...

3) lapierre selius sl500 fdj: comes in xs... thus, it fits.

4) lapierre pulsium 700: smallest is small, which is 49, i'm assuming that's too large?

5) diamondback airen 5 carbon: i know, it's a womans bike, but i like the color and it comes in 48cm and 50cm.

6) any diamondbacks really: most of the mens bike stop at 50cm. i'm assuming they will be too large (i'll need to slap on a super small stem, slam the seatpost down etc.

thoughts/concerns. i know i won't be able to gravel ride some of the choices here. but i'd rather prioritize having a road bike. i still have a surly lht that i can upgrade and turn into a gravel rider if i wanted to.

thanks ST!
Quote Reply
Re: new road/cx bike: suggestions [ahhchon] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
What is the length of the stem on your Cannondale System Six?
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
Replies about knowing what size you need and what you actually want the bike for are probably going to happen, so I'll just stick to the tire question. Yes - 25mm tires will go on those wheels no problem. The 'inner diameter' of the rim is 18mm and will take just about any size of tire you want. Those rims are rated for road tires and pressures using an inner tube.

As for a bike, just get whatever fits you and you like the looks. It doesn't sound like you actually want a cyclocross bike. The Xelius SL 500 is a gorgeous bike. The Pulsiums also look very nice and have a geometry that might be more comfortable for the rides you mentioned.

The wheel/toe overlap is sort of hard to avoid in small sizes with 700c wheels in a standard road geometry.

It sounds like you're part of a 3point5/Promotive/Experticity type of thing. Is BH on your list as well? The Quartz Disc Ultegra is a well liked bike in the same price range you're talking. Their small is an identical reach to the 48 Raleigh RXC and 20mm taller stack which could be great for centuries. It has tire clearance for 32mm if you start venturing off road a little, but it comes with 25mm tires.
Quote Reply
Re: new road/cx bike: suggestions [dangle] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
dangle wrote:
Replies about knowing what size you need and what you actually want the bike for are probably going to happen, so I'll just stick to the tire question. Yes - 25mm tires will go on those wheels no problem. The 'inner diameter' of the rim is 18mm and will take just about any size of tire you want. Those rims are rated for road tires and pressures using an inner tube.

As for a bike, just get whatever fits you and you like the looks. It doesn't sound like you actually want a cyclocross bike. The Xelius SL 500 is a gorgeous bike. The Pulsiums also look very nice and have a geometry that might be more comfortable for the rides you mentioned.

The wheel/toe overlap is sort of hard to avoid in small sizes with 700c wheels in a standard road geometry.

It sounds like you're part of a 3point5/Promotive/Experticity type of thing. Is BH on your list as well? The Quartz Disc Ultegra is a well liked bike in the same price range you're talking. Their small is an identical reach to the 48 Raleigh RXC and 20mm taller stack which could be great for centuries. It has tire clearance for 32mm if you start venturing off road a little, but it comes with 25mm tires.

THANKS for this information. super helpful.

the cannondale had the standard cannondale proprietary stem on there.

i'm guessing 20mm taller stack means that i sit more upright? i generally don't have a problem being on a bike. when i cycled cross country, i rode 10-14 hours a day (with breaks) without any issues. i can also hold aero for an IM bike leg for 5:20 with only a few short (under 2 minutes) stops on the hoods.

i can't comment on how i get my discount as it can cause me to lose it. but i can say that i used to get a discount on BH, but it is no longer avail.
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
ahhchon wrote:
i'm guessing 20mm taller stack means that i sit more upright?

Eh, sort of. If the bike with 20mm shorter stack had two 10mm spacers under the stem, it means you could get rid of those spacers and keep the same position.

ahhchon wrote:
i can't comment on how i get my discount as it can cause me to lose it. but i can say that i used to get a discount on BH, but it is no longer avail.

The first rule of discount club is: You do not talk about discount club. The second rule of discount club is....
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
What is the length of the stem?
Quote Reply
Re: new road/cx bike: suggestions [jimatbeyond] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
https://c1.staticflickr.com/8/7284/8736770237_c53e483997.jpg

i think they all had the same length stem?
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
You never know what length stem was put on a bike.

You could measure it.
Quote Reply
Re: new road/cx bike: suggestions [jimatbeyond] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
i wish i could. i sold the bike a few years back.
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
Do you have a bike that you are riding now?
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
FWIW I have a Specialized Diverge, 11spd Ultegra and I love it. Serves most purposes. Rolls really well on pavement, great for gravel riding. I did swap out the tires for gravel rides (and have a second set of wheels for rides that will be mostly on roads), but its really comfortable. I enjoy riding it practically as much as my S-works Tarmac. I think max tire width is 35, currently have 33mm Trigger Pros on set up tubeless.

Colorado Triathlon Company, CO2UT 2021, Crooked Gravel 2022, Steamboat Gravel 2022
Last edited by: boilerup: May 3, 17 23:57
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
I ride a cross bike on the road a lot and switch to a road bike, so I have a sense for the difference. You can 100% ride a cross bike as a road bike, but it will always handle just a bit off. It tends to sit higher and something about the geometry or fork rake makes it feel a little odd when you turn at speed.

But it's not a deal breaker, you could put massive slicks on a cross bike and ride it all day long if you want. With these new huge rear clusters you can even run a single ring of 40 or 42 and get down the road just fine and still trail ride
Quote Reply