Login required to started new threads

Login required to post replies

Prev Next
Re: "The majority of Americans can make the Ironman cutoff with NO TRAINING" [alex_korr] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
alex_korr wrote:
New3901 wrote:

Yes, but a fun one to pile on.
More than half of America think an Ironman is the local sprint or Olympic tri.

More than half of America think that Jesus rode a dinosaur or ten. There you have it.

Awesome. Thread over. Nothing more to see here.
Quote Reply
Re: "The majority of Americans can make the Ironman cutoff with NO TRAINING" [gmh39] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
gmh39 wrote:
I was shocked when I started doing tris and found out how many people I know that either can't swim or can only swim enough to not drown.

Bit of an eye opener.

Imagine my surprise in Navy Boot Camp when there were people who could not swim.

All I Wanted Was A Pepsi, Just One Pepsi

Team Zoot, Team Zoot Mid-Atlantic

Quote Reply
Re: "The majority of Americans can make the Ironman cutoff with NO TRAINING" [Billabong] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
I find it interesting that people know I do Ironman, and the distance of the race, but are then shocked when I mention a 4 hour training ride.
I can't understand how they think one happens without the other, or why the ride is so impressive considering the event.
Quote Reply
Re: "The majority of Americans can make the Ironman cutoff with NO TRAINING" [M~] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
M~ wrote:
APKTRI wrote:
This quote is from my roommate. What do you think?

Not a flippin chance in hell. I trained hard to learn how to swim that first year of tris and it took me 3 races just to get to the point I could stick my face in the water and not hyper ventilate. Not sure why it was happening but for the first season I was just trying to get swim in the open water without freaking out. I had the endurance but there was something in the back of my head that was messing with me. Either way, I don't think 80% of Americans would make the swim cutoff much less the entire race.

I'm probably a motor moron so take this for what it's worth but I never swam other than well enough not to drown before I got into tri's. I spent a few years trying to learn how to swim properly. I eventually quit doing tri's because my swim was so bad, usually in the bottom 10% while my bike/run were usually somewhere in the top 20-10% range. I would never get passed in a race because I started so far back after the swim. I would guess not more than 5% of the population ever had any proper swim coaching as kids and would stand no chance of making the swim cut-off if you just threw them in the water with no training, regardless of how fit or unfit they were.
Quote Reply
Re: "The majority of Americans can make the Ironman cutoff with NO TRAINING" [ThisIsIt] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
I have been racing sprint and Olympic distance for the last 4 years as a slow age grouper.

It is by no means a forgone conclusion that I could finish within the cutoff. I have some advantages (I am tall, swam as a kid, no major injuries, able to comfortably take on nutrition while biking and running etc). But despite these things the iron distance is in its own right a major undertaking.

The claim in the OP is nonsense.
Quote Reply
Re: "The majority of Americans can make the Ironman cutoff with NO TRAINING" [Impulse-Warp] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
I bet a good number people would fail based on mental "weakness." I'm always surprised at the number of people who give up at the first sign of adversity. I'm sure there's some people who could make the 17hrs...but at hr 10 they get a cramp...or at mile 20 of the bike they get a flat...or a heel blister at mile 3 of the run. It's like a built in excuse to give up.

Even if they have the physical ability (which I don't think the "majority of Americans" do), the mental aspect adds another challenge to overcome.
Last edited by: smartyiak: May 9, 17 7:10
Quote Reply
Re: "The majority of Americans can make the Ironman cutoff with NO TRAINING" [DarkSpeedWorks] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
DarkSpeedWorks wrote:
turningscrews wrote:
The majority of Americans would not finish the swim without a wetsuit.

Uh, the majority of americans would not even finish the swim WITH a wetsuit ...

The majority of Americans wouldn't fit into a wetsuit!
Quote Reply
Re: "The majority of Americans can make the Ironman cutoff with NO TRAINING" [smartyiak] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
smartyiak wrote:
I bet a good number people would fail based on mental "weakness." I'm always surprised at the number of people who give up at the first sign of adversity. I'm sure there's some people who could make the 17hrs...but at hr 10 they get a cramp...or at mile 20 of the bike they get a flat...or a heel blister at mile 3 of the run. It's like a built in excuse to give up.

Even if they have the physical ability (which I don't think the "majority of Americans" do), the mental aspect adds another challenge to overcome.

I came on here to say exactly this. Whether or not someone's body can do it is irrelevant. 100% of untrained people will quit after a while. Hell I ride and run a fair bit (way less than many on here) and I have to constantly battle the urge to quit during long efforts -- rides >75 miles, or runs over an hour. It's a mental AND physical game. And so much of what you learn with training is that you CAN keep suffering.
Quote Reply
Re: "The majority of Americans can make the Ironman cutoff with NO TRAINING" [Markalolo] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
. And so much of what you learn with training is that you CAN keep suffering.[/quote]=======================================================================
which, as it turns out, is quite handy in life's general and rather steady adverse situations.
peggy
Quote Reply
Re: "The majority of Americans can make the Ironman cutoff with NO TRAINING" [Markalolo] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
Markalolo wrote:
smartyiak wrote:

I came on here to say exactly this. Whether or not someone's body can do it is irrelevant. 100% of untrained people will quit after a while. Hell I ride and run a fair bit (way less than many on here) and I have to constantly battle the urge to quit during long efforts -- rides >75 miles, or runs over an hour. It's a mental AND physical game. And so much of what you learn with training is that you CAN keep suffering.

Short of the threat of a bullet to the head, why in the world would these Americans be doing an ironman in the first place? Of course there is going to be no motivation to keep going. You kind of have to take that out of the equation since it's not really in the equation.
Quote Reply
Re: "The majority of Americans can make the Ironman cutoff with NO TRAINING" [APKTRI] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
APKTRI wrote:
This quote is from my roommate. What do you think?

When I read this story, I thought of this thread.

http://philadelphia.cbslocal.com/...o-facebook-for-help/
Last edited by: DJRed: Sep 2, 17 12:27
Quote Reply
Re: "The majority of Americans can make the Ironman cutoff with NO TRAINING" [DJRed] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
I get "page not found."
Quote Reply
Re: "The majority of Americans can make the Ironman cutoff with NO TRAINING" [BlackStumpGumby] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
BlackStumpGumby wrote:
I get "page not found."

Fixed it.
Quote Reply

Prev Next