Login required to started new threads

Login required to post replies

Prev Next
Re: Starky Sets Ironman Bike Course Record Again - 4:01:15 split [monty] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
monty wrote:
Well I'm with you, unless it was within a couple tenths of 112, I don't consider it a record either. Its pretty easy to measure a bike or run course accurately, to not do so in either incompetence, ran out of road, or intentional to get fast times. The latter is really sleazy, Roth used to do that in the old days, and now some other Euro centric races seem to have taken up the race to fast short course times..

Roth is still doing this as are others, remember when Rinny called them out for it?
Quote Reply
Re: Starky Sets Ironman Bike Course Record Again - 4:01:15 split [johnnybefit] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
I wrote in the other thread I think it'll be a record because IM says it's an 112 mile course and if only 110, that's "close enough" for them in all likelihood. Or shall I say it isn't as if it's 100 mile course put off to be 112. So it's enough to give them an out. And it's also the case of, IM can pretty much do as they want with it. But that's also why I don't think it matters to certify courses. "Records" don't seem to be held to the high standard in triathlon (obviously because of so many different variables) as they do in say track and field. so should they say it's record? Probaly not, but I also get it. IM likely doesn't care that it's only 110, because then it starts to call out their process of it being the "ironman" distance etc. ignorance is bliss is what they probaly are feeling. "Shut up and just go with it".

Brooks Doughtie, M.S.
Exercise Physiology
-USAT Level II
Quote Reply
Re: Starky Sets Ironman Bike Course Record Again - 4:01:15 split [B_Doughtie] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
B_Doughtie wrote:
I wrote in the other thread I think it'll be a record because IM says it's an 112 mile course and if only 110, that's "close enough" for them in all likelihood. Or shall I say it isn't as if it's 100 mile course put off to be 112. So it's enough to give them an out. And it's also the case of, IM can pretty much do as they want with it. But that's also why I don't think it matters to certify courses. "Records" don't seem to be held to the high standard in triathlon (obviously because of so many different variables) as they do in say track and field. so should they say it's record? Probaly not, but I also get it. IM likely doesn't care that it's only 110, because then it starts to call out their process of it being the "ironman" distance etc. ignorance is bliss is what they probaly are feeling. "Shut up and just go with it".

True true. Sorry I took this thread off topic of Starky's amazing ride and come back. All Hail Starky!!
Quote Reply
Re: Starky Sets Ironman Bike Course Record Again - 4:01:15 split [B_Doughtie] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
Well technically it is a record, a course record on a 109.5 mile course. Keep it the same each year and it means something. Fastest 112 in an ironman ever, well it would actually have to be 112 to even be considered for that. But like you say, they can do and say whatever they want, we just don't have to buy it. Did I hear the run was short too? So what is the overall handicap for the entire race? Bet not so many broke 8 hours given the adjustment, and of course the 1000's of others that have to add 10 to 30 minutes to their times now too for an accurate Ironman time. (ya, right))
Quote Reply
Re: Starky Sets Ironman Bike Course Record Again - 4:01:15 split [monty] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
That's precisely why IM would never not count it as a record. They would then be telling all those thousands that their effort isn't an "ironman" *officially*. So put head in sand and move on.

Brooks Doughtie, M.S.
Exercise Physiology
-USAT Level II
Quote Reply
Re: Starky Sets Ironman Bike Course Record Again - 4:01:15 split [trentnix] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
He also had a very serious running injury last year, like a fractured hip or something major like that. It was why he walked and then dropped out of IMTX on the run last time.

I did an interview with him right before that race where he got injured and he said he tried to avoid running injuries by running almost all the time on gravel paths at a park near his house. Crazy to see that he still got hurt in spite of trying so hard to avoid it. Starky is like a modern day Spartan warrior. Guy is tough as hell.

----------------------------------------------------------
Zen and the Art of Triathlon. Strava Workout Log
Interviews with Chris McCormack, Helle Frederikson, Angela Naeth, and many more.
http://www.zentriathlon.com
Quote Reply
Re: Starky Sets Ironman Bike Course Record Again - 4:01:15 split [Billabong] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
Hats of to Starky for making a great recovery from his accident.

Also hats off to him maximizing his payday in triathlon but personally I can only get about as excited about his blitzing the bike as a runner who sprinters the first half of a race and then has to walk/job in the rest.
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply

i think whats happening is that ironman accepts that challenge roth is the official ironman distance and copies it .

monty wrote:
Well technically it is a record, a course record on a 109.5 mile course. Keep it the same each year and it means something. Fastest 112 in an ironman ever, well it would actually have to be 112 to even be considered for that. But like you say, they can do and say whatever they want, we just don't have to buy it. Did I hear the run was short too? So what is the overall handicap for the entire race? Bet not so many broke 8 hours given the adjustment, and of course the 1000's of others that have to add 10 to 30 minutes to their times now too for an accurate Ironman time. (ya, right))
Quote Reply
Re: Starky Sets Ironman Bike Course Record Again - 4:01:15 split [Thomas Gerlach] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
And yet, in the "aero bike test" thread and subsequent follow up threads, almost nobody seems interested in seeing how the Orbea stacks up, aero-wise, against the other superbikes. [shrug]

"They're made of latex, not nitroglycerin"
Last edited by: gary p: Apr 24, 17 6:14
Quote Reply
Re: Starky Sets Ironman Bike Course Record Again - 4:01:15 split [trineuropa] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
Erroneous.

Internet User
Quote Reply
Re: Starky Sets Ironman Bike Course Record Again - 4:01:15 split [CCF] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
CCF wrote:
This is actually the first I've heard about this. What happened with the crash and with his kid?

This (graphic) video is a good place to start. https://twitter.com/...s/832947381264142337

Being dragged under a truck <9 months before (re)setting the IM bike record and screaming through the first half of the IM run is just wild. I have no words, only admiration.

I live about an hour from him and he came to our club's Christmas party last year. Guy was walking like he was looking for his cane. That's not too long ago. He was super positive and kept talking about how he we going to come back. He also said that when he raced, he raced....not paced. He rode hard with no drafting help and then gave everything on the run. There's no way I thought I would be following him on the IM tracker 4.5 months later. What an inspiration.
Quote Reply
Re: Starky Sets Ironman Bike Course Record Again - 4:01:15 split [gary p] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
gary p wrote:
And yet, in the "aero bike test" thread and subsequent follow up threads, almost nobody seems interested in seeing how the Orbea stacks up, aero-wise, against the other superbikes. [shrug]

One of the UK magazines - Pro Cycling maybe - that does a bunch of "aero tests" uses the Orbea as their "control" bike. I have plenty of issues - some quite substantial - with their "testing methodology," but at least according to their testing, it tests quite fast as compared with how it does compared to known extremely fast bikes.

I want to say that I've seen some wind tunnel data thrown around as well that was pretty favorable. I'd bet that, especially if you keep the bike clean (as it has no real storage options) and put fast brakes on it, no reason it shouldn't be a very fast bike.

"Non est ad astra mollis e terris via." - Seneca | rappstar.com | FB - Rappstar Racing | IG - @jordanrapp
Quote Reply
Re: Starky Sets Ironman Bike Course Record Again - 4:01:15 split [Rappstar] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
Rappstar wrote:
gary p wrote:

One of the UK magazines - Pro Cycling maybe - that does a bunch of "aero tests" uses the Orbea as their "control" bike. I have plenty of issues - some quite substantial - with their "testing methodology," but at least according to their testing, it tests quite fast as compared with how it does compared to known extremely fast bikes.

I want to say that I've seen some wind tunnel data thrown around as well that was pretty favorable. I'd bet that, especially if you keep the bike clean (as it has no real storage options) and put fast brakes on it, no reason it shouldn't be a very fast bike.

It does have a Draft-Box-like appendage, and bosses on the top tube for a bento, so, while not as nifty as some of the latest offerings, it's not completely without storage options. I think that if you stayed with something low profile, a bento might not even add anything to the frontal area, given the sloping top tube, and how far back the bosses are. As for brakes, the top three specs come with TriRig Omegas standard.

I don't know if its a great bike, but its at least pretty damn good. Poor Orbea just can't seem to get anything more than token consideration from the triathon market here in the US, though. See the recent "tri-bike brand" poll for evidence of that.

"They're made of latex, not nitroglycerin"
Last edited by: gary p: Apr 24, 17 13:08
Quote Reply
Re: Starky Sets Ironman Bike Course Record Again - 4:01:15 split [gary p] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
The frameset comes with TriRig brakes as well.

The bike is stiff, very comfortable to ride, and handles extremely well. As far as fast goes, mine should see it's first 40km TT this weekend so I'll have a better opinion after this weekend.
Quote Reply

Prev Next