Login required to started new threads

Login required to post replies

Prev Next
Post deleted by Administrator [ In reply to ]
Re: Number of strokes per length (25 yds)? [runner66] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
not relative to your body. relative to the side of the pool.

i.e. if you are swimming next to a lane rope, your hand should exit the water at the same lane marker as it went in at. If you are really good, it can come out ahead of where it went in (due to the reach and kick)

Swimming Workout of the Day:

Favourite Swim Sets:

2020 National Masters Champion - M50-54 - 50m Butterfly
Quote Reply
Re: Number of strokes per length (25 yds)? [devashish_paul] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
his FBD is assuming you are just floating, no force or propulsion. He's missing the rotational forces.

devashish_paul wrote:
beachedbeluga wrote:
I don't know why this is bothering me so much, but let's start out with the physics part:

More dense objects sink. If you increase the amount of mass above the center of gravity, it will sink. Since you mentioned physics, I am assume you are familiar with force diagrams.

By lifting your head, you are increasing the force on the body. So unless you have another force acting on your body keeping it up that is counteracting it, then your hips will sink.

If you don't like force diagrams, here is an anatomical drawing:

If you lift your head, for your hips to stay in the same position, you must be arching your back to keep them up. Again, you are exerting force to keep your hips up.

Now, if these don't convince you, or the videos don't convince you, I am wondering what machinations are going through your mind. Let's consider some questions:
1) If head position doesn't matter, why is it constant amongst the best swimmers? Or even competent swimmers?
2) If head position doesn't matter, why don't swimmers swim head up?
3) If head position doesn't matter, why do you immediately put your head back down after sighting?

I find it interesting that you said that you tried what I asked you to do while swimming. I told you to do it while floating. Or to do it kicking lightly. Just float, eyes down, then slowly lift your head. If you do it while swimming, you are going to compensate. Lifting your head will cause a degree or two drop in your hips. You may not notice it, but its there.

On a forum where people debate changes that will have less than ~1% changes, improving swim technique could have a significant, measurable impact on your swimming efficiency and speed. A neutral head position is listed as something to work on here, here, and lots of other places.

The internet is full of unicorns- people where reality doesn't apply to them. I guess you are the unicorn. But for the rest of you, keep a neutral head position. Eyes down, and look forward a little. It will help.

In your free body diagram, you are missing two forces....thrust/propulsion and drag. Here is the interesting thing about the relationship between drag and lift. In some fluid dynamics situations, what seems like higher drag can result in better lift. You could have a higher drag contribution from one part of your body resulting in more lift overall, reducing the drag of the rest of the your body. That's the complex part of fluid dynamics, which is why you can't just isolate one drag contributor and assume everything else stays the same or also increases because of that. Furthermore, a higher drag contribution from one part of the body, MAY allow certain swimmers to apply more thrust/propulsion.

But for sure, if you can reduce overall drag while and increase propulsion it's a win. If you can keep the drag the same and increase propulsion its a win. I am with you on keeping the head down and hips up for most of us. Without seeing Ken, we can't know what is going on, but based on what he has posted about swimming on here, his results in races, and his swim speed vs what he can do in the other sports, it seems like he is getting the speed out of his body in swimming that his engine can deliver. Most of us on this forum aside from a few fish, have swim results that are inferior to what our engines give us on the bike and run.

I would not under estimate biomechanical limitations in athletes though. They are real and no amount of work for some will get them in the right theoretical body position. In my case with several neck and shoulder/upper body injuries, my swim speed really took a nose dive in my early 30's and was never able to get things back to where they were. Adding another head/neck injury in my mid 40's just made all that worse. Still working on it. I'm not about to give up though, but all this hurts me the most in freestyle. Fly, breast, back are less affected by my neck+shoulder limitations.

Swimming Workout of the Day:

Favourite Swim Sets:

2020 National Masters Champion - M50-54 - 50m Butterfly
Quote Reply
Re: Number of strokes per length (25 yds)? [JasoninHalifax] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
JasoninHalifax wrote:
his FBD is assuming you are just floating, no force or propulsion. He's missing the rotational forces.

He's missing a lot more than that. He assumes that the body is like a seesaw with a fixed pivot, such that a force in one direction on one end necessarily results in a movement of the other end. Of course, there is no such fixed pivot in a human body in water. He also misses that when the buoyant force is reduced by lifting the head out of the water, that force acts on the center of buoyancy and not on one end of the body. Finally (maybe), he misses that the head is not lifted by pushing on the water; rather, it is lifted by contracting muscles that are attached to the head (thereby lifting the head) and are also attached to the back/shoulders/spine...thereby lifting that part of the body.

According to his model, if you were flexible enough, by lifting your head back far enough your body would start rotating in place.

----------------------------------
"Go yell at an M&M"
Quote Reply
Re: Number of strokes per length (25 yds)? [devashish_paul] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
been struggling w this thread and hoping to add some clarification here. Dev you have had some great responses and this discussion is interesting. you and beached are both coming at this from different view points ie one is static (beached) and one is active (you). Certainly with your perspective there are many more "forces" being encountered.
However beached is struggling with his descriptions too.
Im no unicorn and will work hard to not offer soundbites bc i agree... too many of them.
The construction of ones "aquatic posture" is a critical to enhanced performance in the water (whatever that metric happens to be spl, velocity, effeciency etc). Our aquatic posture is quite different than our land based posture that we have been using for quite a while to hunt and gather and run like hell at times.
The (main) 4 components of our posture (land and water) are our hips, chest, head and what connects them, our spine. Just as we learned on land to manage these components from birth until we are upright and moving, we have to re-learn them in the aquatic environment.
On land you can "play" with these segments to become more athletic with them. Articulate them more. Connect/"feel" them more. IE sliding the head on jaw line or tilting, extending sternum forward and back, pelvic tilts to name a few. This will help when you lose solid land and are horizontal in the water.
The impact of gravity changes dramatically as well as we go from vertical on land to horizontal in the water and essentially add two more gravity lines. So an increased awareness and athleticism with these parts will help you to know your making changes.
But i felt this discussion could use some clarification on the key components we are discussing and taking a step back.

Thankfully, there is no ONE WAY to be in the water with posture. We ALL bring a different set of factors that impact this and a good coach will work with you to help you find the alignment and energy in the components based on your personal factors.

To use me as an example... im a sinker with virtually no real kick to speak of. So for me to think about DPS (a paradigm that supports physios more than it does swimmers) is not only a waste of time but actually is negative to my performance.

To continue to watch videos of the best in the world is such a useless exercise. Its fun! Dont get me wrong! I stared, jaw on the floor watching mr thorpe kick 100 meter repeats at the otc back in the day (without fins) on a 1:20 base doing like 1:08s. If we all had that kick...(and his high COM and low Den and ability to coordinate his kick w his rotation etc etc) then spl can def be an impressive metric to track!
daved
Quote Reply
Re: Number of strokes per length (25 yds)? [AG Tri Newbie] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
A four page thread on strokes per length and the only mention of stroke rate was as a typo? How fast you turnover is a far more important thing to focus on. You will almost certainly (adult onset) swim faster with increased stroke rate, and your SPL will go down as a result.

Something to play with is called "The Happy Medium" drill, though it's really more of an activity....

Repeat 25s or 50s on short rest at moderate speed
ODD - Maximum distance per stroke, not exceeding a 6 beat kick
EVEN - Maximum stroke rate, not exceeding a 2 beat kick.

Your ideal stroke rate is somewhere in the middle. Play.
Quote Reply
Re: Number of strokes per length (25 yds)? [beachedbeluga] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
Thanks for the tips. This is my first year of triathlons and I have only been swimming since the beginning of the year. Little tips like this always seems to take about 5 seconds off my avg 100 yard time.
Quote Reply
Re: Number of strokes per length (25 yds)? [daved] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
daved wrote:
been struggling w this thread and hoping to add some clarification here. Dev you have had some great responses and this discussion is interesting. you and beached are both coming at this from different view points ie one is static (beached) and one is active (you). Certainly with your perspective there are many more "forces" being encountered.
However beached is struggling with his descriptions too.
Im no unicorn and will work hard to not offer soundbites bc i agree... too many of them.
The construction of ones "aquatic posture" is a critical to enhanced performance in the water (whatever that metric happens to be spl, velocity, effeciency etc). Our aquatic posture is quite different than our land based posture that we have been using for quite a while to hunt and gather and run like hell at times.
The (main) 4 components of our posture (land and water) are our hips, chest, head and what connects them, our spine. Just as we learned on land to manage these components from birth until we are upright and moving, we have to re-learn them in the aquatic environment.
On land you can "play" with these segments to become more athletic with them. Articulate them more. Connect/"feel" them more. IE sliding the head on jaw line or tilting, extending sternum forward and back, pelvic tilts to name a few. This will help when you lose solid land and are horizontal in the water.
The impact of gravity changes dramatically as well as we go from vertical on land to horizontal in the water and essentially add two more gravity lines. So an increased awareness and athleticism with these parts will help you to know your making changes.
But i felt this discussion could use some clarification on the key components we are discussing and taking a step back.

Thankfully, there is no ONE WAY to be in the water with posture. We ALL bring a different set of factors that impact this and a good coach will work with you to help you find the alignment and energy in the components based on your personal factors.

To use me as an example... im a sinker with virtually no real kick to speak of. So for me to think about DPS (a paradigm that supports physios more than it does swimmers) is not only a waste of time but actually is negative to my performance.

To continue to watch videos of the best in the world is such a useless exercise. Its fun! Dont get me wrong! I stared, jaw on the floor watching mr thorpe kick 100 meter repeats at the otc back in the day (without fins) on a 1:20 base doing like 1:08s. If we all had that kick...(and his high COM and low Den and ability to coordinate his kick w his rotation etc etc) then spl can def be an impressive metric to track!
daved

One thing I can share about aquatic posture and it was literally about my body "changing" from a land based beast to the required flexibility to turn as much as possible into a water based mammal. Last year, I changed my program from swimming around 200-250K per year (barely 6K per week), to 1200K. I basically averaged 100K per month. It meant spending more than 1 hour per day, every day of the year in the pool (I missed some days but had several 90-120 minute days too). In any case, what I noticed over time, is that my body's natural state on land changed a bit over the year just because of the repetition and flexibility that gets forced by spending so much time in the water. For example, if I take a large stability ball, I can now rest on my back and arch my spine at the cervical, thoracic and lumbar regions so that my hands and feet are in contact with the ground with my back arched. And I can rest there with zero "effort". There is no way I could do that last year. My natural desire was to crouch forward into an "aero position" I have enough flexibility in my shoulders and neck to swim fly reasonable well with large paddles. Last year at this time, I could barely generate enough cervical spine mobility to take a breath while doing fly. I find myself working on my "water posture" on dry land in all kinds of scenarios to the point that I don't even realize it. People at work think I am crazy, but I don't care and I use the excuse of recovering from a disk injury.

There is a lot of work to get your body into the config of the image below. It basically took me over a year to transform small areas of flexibility in my body to push it off. It's not one part of the body, but more small changes in the entire chain. I'm there now and can 'ride the wave' in the water and keep a streamline.

Quote Reply
Re: Number of strokes per length (25 yds)? [JasoninHalifax] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
JasoninHalifax wrote:
Next time, draw a complete force diagram. If you are just floating there, in that position with head down, then by definition your centre of mass must be at the same position as your centre of buoyancy.
lifting your head will shift your centre of buoyancy rearward, c of mass is unchanged, which will cause your legs to actually raise up, not lower, assuming that your muscles are making your body rigid and that you have positive overall buoyancy.
Try it, float facedown, arms by your side with a small pullbuoy to compensate for the rearward shift in centre of mass caused by the arms by your side (arms by your side to ensure you aren't sculling) and from that position raise your head out of the water as if to sight and see what happens.
This should demonstrate that the only way that you can raise your head and keep it up is by exerting a downward force on the water with your arms. It is that downward force that causes legs to sink, and/or a failure to get the centre of mass forward enough, not simply lifting the head.
If that doesn't convince you, imagine you are standing in the middle of a floating dock. It's level. Now walk to one edge. What happens to the edge you walked to and the opposite edge?
Btw, Ian Thorpe swam "eyes forward", just like we all did back in the 70's 80's and '90's. His times still stand up today.
This is Palteirini demonstrating why the lower head is actually beneficial (imo). Although he's looking down, the head isn't actually riding low in the water. But look how high his shoulders get.

It's just amazing to me how fricking incredibly fast Palt is turning over during that entire 1500 meters; he's turning over like i would in an all-out 50 or 100 but sustaining it for 1500. I guess that's why he's the WR holder and I'm just a no-name masters swimmer. Also, it would be interesting to see him and Clark Smith swim side by side, since Clark has a much slower turnover rate but swims roughly same speed. Clark is 6'9" vs Palt at 6'3" but I *think* their diff in stroke rate is greater than their relative diff in height.

"Anyone can be who they want to be IF they have the HUNGER and the DRIVE."
Quote Reply
Re: Number of strokes per length (25 yds)? [ericmulk] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
ericmulk wrote:

It's just amazing to me how fricking incredibly fast Palt is turning over during that entire 1500 meters; he's turning over like i would in an all-out 50 or 100 but sustaining it for 1500. I guess that's why he's the WR holder and I'm just a no-name masters swimmer. Also, it would be interesting to see him and Clark Smith swim side by side, since Clark has a much slower turnover rate but swims roughly same speed. Clark is 6'9" vs Palt at 6'3" but I *think* their diff in stroke rate is greater than their relative diff in height.

Yeah, Paltrineiri pretty much sprints a 1500. I like this video which has Ryan Cochrane, with a good "middle of the road" example of SPM vs DPS, with Sun Yang, the ultimate low SPM/high DPS distance swimmer on one side, and Paltrinieri with his insane-for-a-1500 SPM style on the other.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=fe5lLJKSU-o

"They're made of latex, not nitroglycerin"
Last edited by: gary p: Apr 25, 17 11:20
Quote Reply

Prev Next