Login required to started new threads

Login required to post replies

Where does food go after consumption?
Quote | Reply
I'm looking for studies showing where food ends up after consumption, i.e., % converted to thermal energy, stored as fat, released as excrement, etc. How does fat/protein/carb mix, fiber intake, water intake, total calories, total pounds, frequency of meals, body type, exercise frequency/duration/intensity, sleep affect this? In practical terms, if someone releases more excrement in the morning or goes twice in a day when they usually only go once, is that because they ate more calories, ate more weight in food with the same caloric content (which may imply a different mix of macronutrients), there was just more "waste" in what they ate, is it just random...why???

I don't expect perfect answers, but interested in any available research or commentary. I enjoy reading the diet threads and I'm fascinated by these questions, but I believe the nutrition practitioners, coaches, doctors and scientists claim to know a lot more than what they can really prove.

2017 races: St. George 70.3 May 6 | Madison 70.3 June 11 | IM Zurich July 30 | Chicago Marathon October 8
Quote Reply
Re: Where does food go after consumption? [b-rudy] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
This doesn't answer your question directly, but there are many nutrition studies that "tag" or "label" various molecules of interest. For instance, you can tag protein in the lab, consume the food, then see where in the body the protein is incorporated and the time it takes to get there. I think there are studies underway that tag particular carbon atoms in carbohydrate to see where they end up being consumed in the body.
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
interesting question, though as you seem to realise probably too complex to ever get "the answer"
as far as i am aware, the simple part is that fibre pretty much goes in one end and out the other, though even that is a simplistic view.
for everything else, i think the answer is "it depends"

i guess there could be a specific practical implication in this with regard to pre-race food - what to eat in order to have maximum energy but minimum weight, without resorting to processed foods that you don't want to be eating enough to ever be used to them to the point of safe eating pre-race

i agree in general that the "experts" can't prove much of what they say, however that doesn't mean its not true (give or take) - much of science is theories based on the limited understanding we have rather than proven fact. even the fact that they tend to contradict each other (and occasionally themselves) doesn't mean what they're saying isn't true (within some context for some people)
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply

Favorite Gear: Dimond | Cadex | Desoto Sport | Hoka One One
Quote Reply