Login required to started new threads

Login required to post replies

Austin TX Places to Cycle/Swim Indoors EARLY AM
Quote | Reply
Austin, TX people. I'm going to be staying in town Sunday-Friday next week and need to find a place to get some bike workouts in VERY EARLY.

My work conference starts at 7:30 AM, so I need to find a class/gym that will let me start riding by 5:30 AM at the latest. Same goes for swimming--planning on going to Barton or the Eddy, but it'll be pretty dark that early, if you know of somewhere open earlier that I can get to easily, I'd love to know!

I'm staying at the AT&T Convention Center right next to University of Texas...I have access to their gym but it doesn't open until 6 AM, which will make it hard to get longer workouts in once I get thing put away and get to a bike or in the pool.
Quote Reply
Re: Austin TX Places to Cycle/Swim Indoors EARLY AM [TriowaCPA] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
Are you a USMS member? UT masters is just up the road and has been starting at 5am most mornings.

The Y on Townlake opens at 5:30 and they have spin classes and open lap lanes.

https://twitter.com/mungub
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
I'm an instructor at one of the local gyms, Pure Austin. The downtown location is right across from the Whole Foods flagship store. Our spin classes are taught by a lot of roadies and triathletes and start at 6 AM and go :45 minutes. Great gym. Also great access to run the Town Lake trail. That location does not have a pool though. Our north location on Braker Lane is actually going to be the sight of this year's USAT Aquathlon Nationals. We have our own open water swim venue because we own an old quarry. We have an open water swim course set up there year round with buoys that is .5 mile around and a running trail that is about .66 mile around the quarry. There is also a pool at that location.

I teach two of the Thursday spin classes at the north location, 6 AM and 6:15 PM. If your schedule allows for you to make those please drop by. You probably couldn't make your 7:30 start time coming from that north location in the morning, but maybe you could get up there for my evening class and a swim. If it looks doable drop me a PM and can do an open water swim then spin brick in my class.

Avoid all the cheesy tourist bars on East Sixth street and go to the ones on West Sixth (West of Congress) or the ones on S. Congress (South of the river) instead. If you are downtown around dusk try and be at the Congress Street bridge - the largest urban bat colony in the US lives under the bridge and they fly out at dusk. It is really quite an amazing sight. Lots of people gather around the north side of the bridge and on the bridge itself to watch.

Cheers,
-Doug

It is the mind itself which builds the body.
-Joseph Pilates
Quote Reply
Re: Austin TX Places to Cycle/Swim Indoors EARLY AM [DougEFresh] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
Doug,

Thank you very much for the thoughtful reply. Sadly, my conference will have me in class from 7:30-4:30, then I am taking an exam every evening for a certification from 5:00-7:00. Absolutely worst way to experience Austin!

I could roll into class around 8 and be fine though. The North location looks like it would be a bit far to get to, but holy hell the quarry looks incredible! Austin is an OWS paradise.

Am I able to walk into Pure Austin on W 5th and pay for a day pass? I'd love to be able to get a quality spin session in a couple times next week!
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
If your schedule allows, and you have a car, you can ride a bike on our F1 track just east of town on Tuesday night. I did it last week and it's pretty great. They're renting road bikes for $20, so consider bringing your shoes/pedals/helmet. Starts at 6:00pm and goes to 8:30pm. They have food/beer.

It's a 3.3mi loop with two decent hills. There were a bunch of riders but it never felt crowded because the track is so wide. It's easy to pass people, and most people ride on the right and pass on the left. There were a handful of people organizing some fast pacelines. Good times.

Your favorite mafia sucks.
Quote Reply
Re: Austin TX Places to Cycle/Swim Indoors EARLY AM [bryce_d] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
Dear lord that sounds awesome. Maybe I'll skip the damn conference and exams and just get some good training in.
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
Sure - you can do a day pass. Enjoy your trip.

It is the mind itself which builds the body.
-Joseph Pilates
Quote Reply