Login required to started new threads

Login required to post replies

Stages: repaired 1st gen vs 2nd gen
Quote | Reply
Hey guys.

Unfortunately, last week I noticed a small gap from the battery door on my Stages 7900 1st gen power meter. After opening it, I noticed that all three ledges holding the battery door are broken; not on the door itself but on the Stages unit.

I contacted Stages. They can repair my Stages with the updated housing design that improves on many features and robustness. They will cover the full cost of shipping back to me, along with all repair parts and labor. We're therefore talking about 20 or 30 bucks to ship the unit from Canada to the States.

I also contacted my local shop. They are offering me a Stages 9000 2nd gen for 165$ CAD in exchange of my old unit.

What would you do?

140$ (165$ - 25$) for:
- new vs 2 years old, 8000 miles unit
- repaired 1st gen vs new 2nd gen
- 1-year warranty again vs possibly no warranty anymore

On the other hand, if they pretty much replace everything on my 1st gen, this could be a wasted 140$.

I currently have a 6800 crankset, my next bike in ~2 years will possibly have a DA 9000 or newer.

Thanks!
Last edited by: Xcessiv: Apr 18, 17 14:58
Quote Reply
Re: Stages: repaired 1st gen vs 2nd gen [Xcessiv] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
I'd pay up and get the new one. Having the possibility for a new warranty is huge on something as finicky as an electronic power meter. Its the same reason why I would probably not buy a used Stages myself. The electronics could break and not having a warranty puts you out a lot of money.

Stages seems to have great customer service though. As for matching the stages to the next groupset, its not something I bother to think about. I have a 105 stages on a tiagra crankset on my roadbike. Doesn't quite match colors but I don't care about a perfect match
Quote Reply